Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

Denise. . . tell us a story please :)

maidinmontana
14 years ago

And anyone else that uses coir.

I'm seriously considering switching all of my plants over to choir this spring. I have read several posts about it, but haven't found the ratio you use to mix it.

If you could, please give a detailed description of how you mix, water, store and prepare it to use for your plants.

thanks in advance,

Maid~

Comments (16)

• Denise
    14 years ago

Hi Debi,

Yes, I love coir, although you'll find some who don't care for it. But I think it's usually those in the warmer climates. It tends to dry faster during the hot months, but IMO that's ok because it reduces the liklihood of overwatering in the colder months... Your conditions are probably pretty close to mine, so I'm betting you'll like it.

I buy the small bricks (see the link below) and they typically make about 4-5 quarts of mix. I keep it in a bucket and when I need it, I mix it about 2/3 coir and 1/3 perlite. That's it. Easy.

The nice thing about coir is that it doesn't "go sour" like potting soil does. Just make sure it's already been flushed of salts. If you buy from the vendor below, you'll be getting the best stuff I've found so far.

Denise in Omaha

Here is a link that might be useful: Coir bricks

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Hi
    I also use coir and love it.I started last summer to change my hoyas over to coir.I use coir with some cactus soil mixed in.My hoyas have been very happy with this.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

I use the coconut husk chips but not coir. You have to be careful because coconut trees that grow near the sea will concentrate salts in the husks or they are sometimes washed in the sea. Make sure to rinse and soak several times or you will see salt build up in no time. I have naver had much with the coir but the chips are great mixed with potting soil and perlite. I have started breaking up those foam packing peanuts and using them in my mix in place of perlite and the Hoyas are doing well.

Mike

• Denise
    14 years ago

Mike,

I've heard that, but when I started using it many years ago, it was at the suggestion of the former owner of Aridlands (who is a member of our cactus club here...) At that time, he said to be careful to get coir that came from Sri Lanka for that reason, I think. Anyway, this stuff I use now says this...

"...has a very low salt content that is available in 34 in. double-sieved long fibers to reduce dust and give ample space within the mix. COCOGROÂ has excellent drainage properties and can be used over a longer period of time than coir fiber with shorter fibers. With longer fibers and reduced dust, growers will experience an optimal air to water ratio, which is vital for strong root development. COCOGROÂ is unique because it is not chemically treated like other coir fibers on the market. COCOGROÂ is a superior coir fiber because it is aged a minimum of 18 months and has finished its decomposition stage. In addition, COCOGROÂ is exposed to rain water from at least three monsoon seasons, which naturally washes away harmful salts out of the final product. Most other coir fibers are only 4 to 5 months old and have excessive potassium and salts and thus have to be chemically treated."

I've been using it for at least 5 or 6 years and have seen no ill effects or salt buildup.

Denise in Omaha

• cpawl
    14 years ago

I guess I must clarify that I use chunky coir and fine with cactus soil. I have only been using this mix for about 1 year but I have not noticed any salt build up. I do soak the chunky coir and drain the water a few times.
    FYI the growers in Thailand use pure coir for almost all there plants and they grow nicely.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Denise it sounds like you got the good stuff, where exactly do you get yours? I am always having to find mine in the pet stores and it is not really meant for growing plants so I have to rinse rinse rinse. The hydroponics stores sell coir as well but that is an extra trip I don't often make.
    I find that the chips last a very long time, much longer than bark.

Mike

• Denise
    14 years ago

Mike,

The link I provided in my first post is where I get mine. I used to order it 10 bricks at a time online, but this particular store I posted has a location here in Omaha, so now I don't have to buy it online.

And yes, I've heard the stuff you get at the pet stores is full of salts. That can't be real good for the reptiles, can it??

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Thanks Denise that vendor has some interesting products.
    I am going to do some searching for the same coco products here in Canada. The pet store stuff used as bedding is fine for the reptiles but I love the thought of not having to rinse if I can find the better plant grade coco products.

Mike

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Mike
    If you are near a Canadian tire store you can check out what I use.Its called orchid mix/coir. I am out of it right now so cant remember the full name but my store carries it year round.I do know it is a premium product and I have been happy with it.I have shown a photo of the stuff some time last year if you want to look at it.

Cindy

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

At canadian tire its called - The Original Soil Block, Premium Coir Potting Soil - I just started using it and so far so good!

• cpawl
    14 years ago

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg0300153530480.html

I found the post that I showed a photo of the stuff I use.Its called orchid block.

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your input. . . you're right Mike, the website Denise posted does have a lot of interesting products.

I have no idea how much of this stuff I'm going to need so I ordered 4 bricks. I guess if I need more I'll order it later. . .

So. . . no soil at all Denise? I was thinking you used the coir instead of bark like me and so many others do. I would guess with no soil one would have to use some sort of nutrient such as VF-11, just b/c the lack of them in the soil.

So, on the average, how often do you water using this type of growing medium. I realize the time of year has a lot to do with the frequency of water, as well as the type of hoya. So, say the average hoya such as pubicalyx, since they seem to grow year round, for me anyway.

Speaking of this. . . kinda. . . I got a magazine a few weeks ago that had 4", 6", and 8" white plastic hanging pots that were only .78 cents if you bought 10 or more and shipping was only $5.00. I was going to order 40 of them so I had them when I switched all my hoyas over to coir. Well, we had a superbowl party and I accidently used the magazine to start the firepit. . . I'm so mad. . . And I can't remember the name of the company. . . rrrrrrrg.

Anyway, thanks again everyone. . . I'm sure I'll have more questions once the coir get here.

Miad~

• patrick51
    14 years ago

Maid...I'm "mad", too...I'd love to know the name of the company...the prices sound almost too good to be true. I've purchased all of mine off Ebay...and the price was very high. Perhaps you'll get another magazine and can share with us the name of the company? Fondly, Patrick

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Patrick I find that orchid vendors are often the best places to find growing supplies. Take a look at the vendors list on the linked page and see if there are any near you.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: The orchid house

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ya, Patrick, I know it does sound too good to be true. But the majority of the products they sell are greenhouses. From small hobby ones to enormous commercial ones. So I'm guessin their focus is probably on them.

And yes, hopefully they will send another one. I didn't request the catalog, they just sent it like junk mail.

Just my luck, out of all the junk mail I get I finally got something I could use and then this happens.

Maid~

• Denise
    14 years ago

Debi,

When to water has so many variables... My pubicalyx is about as rootbound as a plant can get because it's too large to repot, so I have to water it very often - a couple times a week in winter, more in summer. Coir tends to dry out faster than soil, so let's just say "more often than with potting soil." When they feel a little dry, I water. And I do use VF-11 every time I water. The biggest advantages of coir are 1) it doesn't break down fast like soil and 2) if you let it get too dry, it rewets better than too-dry potting soil.

As for those pots, that sounds pretty cheap. Awanda sells hard-to-find 4.5" hanging pots (which are great for young Hoyas), and 6", and I got some 8" from her last year (though I don't see them on her list right now...) And then I recently found this place that has nice-looking larger hanging pots, which I'm needing as my older Hoyas get large. Here's a link you can copy & paste to that one...
    http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Centabella-Hanging-Pots/productinfo/CN-CBH/

Denise in Omaha

Here is a link that might be useful: Awanda's stuff

Sponsored