Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalla62

a long, long branch

lalla62
12 years ago

hi,my calycina stargazer has a very long brunch

so long , it is 1,5 m.

I read somewhere that these long branches should not be rolled up 'cause they die.

but as i fix it??

please advice..

thanks.

Comments (20)

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Not sure what you're trying to say Lalla, sorry, but 'rolled up'?

Pls. clarify what you mean or maybe use the word in Italian & I MAY understand (I speak Portuguese & French, so I understand some Italian).

• Denise
    12 years ago

I think what you're probably talking about is that a vine will die back (or really just tip-die and stop growing) if you wind it around and end up with the tip pointing downward. As long at the growing tip is pointing up, you can wind the long vines around a hoop or back into the plant. Just be very gentle around the leaf nodes because when they are (what I call) leaf "nubbins" (the tiny bumps that eventually become leaves), the slightest disturbance will make them abort.

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Lalla, what I would do is this:

Wait until the portion of the vine that has leaves (even young leaves) is long enough to make a loop. I would leave the portion of vine that is bare (no leaves) free to grow as it chooses until it forms leaves.

If you loop a bare vine it won't necessarily die back, but I think the vines are more forgiving of having their direction changed once they are more mature, with foliage.

As Denise said, the growing tip DOES have to be facing up.

Sometimes you are careful and the vine dies back anyway, so just do your best!

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pirate, please exscuse me..
    i am not a champ in english..

but i see that denise and greedy realized.

this long vine has little leafs and peducles for flowers ,it is growing so quikly!!!

i fear it will die.

grazia.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

If your vine is as mature as you described, don't worry! Go ahead and loop it. It will not die. :)

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

grazie greedy...

i will be careful to loop it!!

i wait until the vine will become so long to loop it without any problems.

thank you from my calycina.

grazia.

• maggnome
    12 years ago

The growing tips have to face up? No wonder mine stopped growing... :/

Good luck Lalla!

-Jacob

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Jacob, if the growing tip is pinned pointing down the vine will die back, usually just back to the last node, but sometimes back several nodes. It's as though the plant decides it must have been growing wrong and starts over, like a knitter who realized they screwed up their pattern and unravels their work to the last point it was going right. It doesn't stop growing. Once it is ready, it will just start growing again, either from the node it died back to (just growing upward), or from a different vine.

It's really not a big deal. You just have to watch out because sometimes when you're having plants shipped to you, the grower will temporarily clip the vine facing downward on the loop, just to protect it in transit. It's your responsibility to make sure the growing tip is either facing up or hanging freely, once you get it settled. I hope it's clear that when we say the growing tip must face up, we mean in instances where you are forcing a plant to grow a certain way (like around a hoop). If they are growing down or sideways on their own that's clearly not your problem. ^_~

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

to be clear
    here photos of my calycina:

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

Wow! that IS long!

• maggnome
    12 years ago

Yes, that's crazy! :O

GreedyGhost - Mine is free-hanging, so it should be fine. Thanks for clearing that up.

-Jacob

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Nice healthy plant! ^_^ If it were mine, I would simply lay/pin the vine horizontally across the top of the loop. I wouldn't loop it downward yet. I would let the excess vine hang loose until the leaves were pretty much mature and then I'd pin it around the loop.

Since you already have it on the stake, why not just leave it like that until the leaves are a little more mature? Then loop it.

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

greedy i think i will do as you told me...

for the moment i let vine on the stake...

when i see it is mature enought, i will loop it.

i will let you know what happens.

thanks for now.

• PerrenialGirl
    12 years ago

lalla62 your calycina branch is sure long and reaching for something. What do the flowers look like?

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

Like an australis, with more pink, I think... Hi D!

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

perrenial girl and laura carnosa here is my calycina's flower!

• lightning96
    12 years ago

Beautiful flowers lalla62!

Fascinating discussion everybody... so that explains why my H. naumanii just died back a node. I'd just looped it around a hoop and the growing tip was facing down. How did I not realize this sooner????

• maggnome
    12 years ago

Wow, those flowers are incredible! I hope that my hoya blooms someday.

-Jacob

• PerrenialGirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful flowers lalla62!! Thanks for posting a picture!

• lalla62
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the vine of my calycina still grows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i haven't loop it yet....

i am waiting for it to be mature...

but when???

when can i consider it mature???
    thanks.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!