Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catrina_gw

Please confirm ID

Catrina's Garden
17 years ago

Hi,

I have the following 2 hoyas. I'm considering doing some more starts and possibly trading the first one. After owning these two beauties I'm hooked and can't wait to try and aquire some more. This one I'm thinking may be Hoya carnosa. It gets cream colored flowers that smell wonderful and the necter actually drips from them, amazing

The second one is new for me (by the way the little bud just to the left of the tag is part of plant #1 - soon to bloom again) it was labled variegated crimson, I have seen another on your gallery called Krimson Queen, Do you think this could be it and do you know the scientific name?

Thanks,

Catrina

Comments (7)

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Hi. The first is probably a regular Carnosa, but I'm not sure. The second is called H. Carnosa 'Variegata', also called "Krimson Queen". Nice hoyas, and have fun getting more! You'll soon be a certified hoya addict :-)
    Gabi

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

The 2nd is definately Krimson Queen, I've never seen or heard its scientific name.

I'm uncertain abt the 1st, I doubt it's a plain Carnosa, am guessing its some kind of cross btwn that & Pubicalyx. Tho' I've never bloomed either, have seen them both in bloom, I thought I'd heard/read Carnosa blooms tend to be pink.

Also yours is very speckled & consistently speckled, which in my experience is more like Pubicalyx than Carnosa, yet the leaf shape isn't quite right for Pubicalyx, which tend to have a more elongated & tapered to a point leaves.

Hum .. curious, but looks nice & healthy whatever it is.

• mare2
    17 years ago

I have one that looks identical to your first one and was sold to me as fungii. It doesn't look to me like the pictures I've seen of fungii, though, and I suspect it's really a highly speckled variety of carnosa--have heard of several with cutesy names that the growers gave them like 'Snowball'--but that's just a guess. Pretty plants. Mine hasn't bloomed yet. What does it smell like?
    'Mare

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Thanks for the information, The smell is very sweet and flowery. Reminds me of the really flowery cheap perfume that would be in a kids make up kit. Also kind of reminds me of how a really ripe melon would smell. I have a photo of the flower somewhere that actually shows the nectar droplets hanging. I tasted a small amount, very sweet also, anyone know if this is a good/bad idea. I didn't die or get sick from it, but I only ate a drop.
    Catrina

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Thanks for the information, The smell is very sweet and flowery. Reminds me of the really flowery cheap perfume that would be in a kids make up kit. Also kind of reminds me of how a really ripe melon would smell. I have a photo of the flower somewhere that actually shows the nectar droplets hanging. I tasted a small amount, very sweet also, anyone know if this is a good/bad idea. I didn't die or get sick from it, but I only ate a drop.
    Catrina

• mare2
    17 years ago

That's interesting that yours sounds like it doesn't smell like a carnosa, which tends to be mocha-like. Now am anxious to flower mine, which I'd just assumed was carnosa! My other carnosas are all pink-flowered and less speckled. I did find a picture that shows nectar droplets, below. You would definitely not be the first to taste the nectar. Wouldn't try more than a drop, but I haven't heard of anyone dying yet. I haven't only because I use systemics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Correctly Named Hoya Website

• javamilk
    17 years ago

And if you scroll down the page that Mare provided, you'll see something that looks amazingly like your first plant!