Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Hoya Bug Strikes Again!

moonwolf_gw
14 years ago

Well, the hoya bug bit me again and I'm trying to choose on which to get next. In two weeks, I'll be going to Lowe's and Home Depot again to look for hoyas. This time, I'm keeping my eyes open for a compacta. If I don't find one, then I'll either order it, fungii or motoskei from Gardino's. Wish me luck!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (11)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Brad, congrats on your decision to get another hoya, lots of luck finding the hoya you want. Just a word of caution about the Compacta, I've read and heard that they are a mealy bug magnet due to the many nooks and crannies that this variety has. I've since traded mine last year once I realized that they seem to be prone to it. Don't need any more plants that are a "magnet" to bugs if you know what I mean(I have enought to worry about with the other hoyas). I'm by no means suggesting you don't get it...just giving you a friendly "caution" so you are aware of it and can keep a real close eye if you decide to get it. Keep us posted on what you end up getting!

You think you got the hoya bug now...wait till Spring,lol :o)

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Pug,

Mealies are the reason I didn't get a compacta in the first place, since I had that infestation on lacunosa. Now, I've changed my mind and decided I want one. I bought a bottle of Garden Safe Houseplant and Garden Spray to fight mealies with.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Greenthumb
    14 years ago

The only real way to fight mealies on H. compacta is by using a systemic insecticide on the plant (BATS). With all of the nooks and crannies, you will never hit all of the bugs by spraying. I would use BATS systemic on the plant as soon as you get it.

Good luck in your hoya hunt! I just looked through Ted Green's updated list and found $195.00 worth of cuttings I want to order. Now, mind you, I have no room for any more hoyas, but that's never stopped me before! (:o) Thank God it's too cold to place an order now. Maybe by the time the warmer weather gets here I will have come to my senses.(or, maybe not!)
    Mike

• patrick51
    14 years ago

Mike, if you want cuttings from Ted, he said to order and pay for them now to get your name on his waiting list....those who order and pay late may be out of luck...sorta "first come, first serve". So, get that $195 in the mail today!! LOL Patrick

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike, so the hoya bug got to you too! LOL! Thanks for the good luck wishes everyone!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Ok..Sorry if I missed something, but what is (BATS)..

Thanks and hello everyone!

Mike..:-)

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Mike....BATS is the appreviated word for Bayers Advanced Tree and Shrub

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Mike, nice to see you on this part of the forum...Welcome!
    So the Hoya bug got to you too? Its very addicting just so you're warned! But what a fun addiction it is.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Lol...I think I am beginning to feel the bug...:-)

I am sure with all the people here, it will be a rearding experience..Now that I have two sylights!

I actually have that stuff...lol. That is what I use on one of mine years ago, and that stuff does work I tell you. It has never had a mealey bug since then..

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I won't be looking for compacta now. I'm getting three different hoyas from a trade: motoskei, obscura and pubicalyx 'Red Buttons'. Fungii is coming from a different person. Spring has cast it's spell on me!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

I went to Lowes yesterday and had to ask them to order some and the lady didnt know what they were so she looked it up in a houseplant book that was for sale and saw the hoya rope so I an hoping they should be in next week some time. The plants looked nice yesterday, you could tell they had just been cleaned up. I got one at Walmart though .
    Stacey

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm