Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alpanther

Window Preference

alpanther
12 years ago

Which window is best for hoyas? Are they all different? Are the zones different?

I have a hoya compacta and am trying to figure out the best window for optimal growth.

What would you all recommend?

Comments (10)

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

East is my preference. I also have Hoya in a southern exposure, but up here in Canada, the sun is weaker...

I don't recommend north facing windows, unless you suplement the light with grow lights...

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I have only South facing windows and they are by far my favorite window exposure for growing plants. Most Hoyas love bright light and it is very easy to put the light lovers closest to the glass and then shelter the shade lovers with the rest of the plants. I do use a sheer curtain on a couple windows to cuts down some of the light and combat the heat it generates during the summer.

Mike

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

I must confesse that I don't understand exactly well what this mean, in Brazil we never say west window, south window, etc....

The sun in my apartment starts around 13 PM and goes till 6 or 7 PM during summer, this mean that my hoyas are exposed at west window? This question can be very stupid for all of you but as I said, we here just say morning or afternoon sun!

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Mitzi you must have a sense of direction or you would be getting lost all the time. LOL
    The sun rises in the East, is strong in the day time from the South, and sets in the West during the late afternoon to early evening. The North exposure is the weakest sun. Of course all of this is for us in the Northern hemisphere so if you are in the Southern hemisphere then North light is strong during the day and South sun is weakest. You would also get less direct light in your windows the farther North or South you live and more direct light the closer to the equator.
    Someone please correct me if I am wrong, not something I have thought too much about.

I think Hoyas can do just fine with morning sun but I prefer the noon time sun and I just adjust the amount of shade the plants need. Really you just have to do with what you have in your home. Morning sun is almost never to harsh so many people prefer it to midday sun. Some plants really want intense sun though so you have to choose wisely.

Mike

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Mike,

LOL, probably I didn't express myself correctly! Off course I have a sense of direction, and here as anywhere we use it as north, south, west and east!

I live in the west side of my town, but we don't use to say WEST WINDOW, EAST WINDOW.... etc., so it makes me confuse.

The starts to reach my apartment around 13 PM during summer time and lasts there till the sunset.

This means that I have a west window???

This is terrible because the sun here is really hot, so my apartment gets intensely hot on the afternoons.

My questions: is it a good window for hoyas or not???

LOL Mike, it is difficult to me to think in Portuguese, express in English and make myself clear!!!

Thanks for your explanation.....

Here we always say that the better for the plants is the morning sun, before mid day, due to our climate, after mid day it is a disaster.

My apartment receives the afternoon sun ..... hot, hot, hot!!!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Yes that is the main problem with windows that get afternoon sun. When the sun is setting, as it becomes lower in the sky it can come directly into the window. This direst sun creates a lot of heat which can be very hard on some plants. If you have the window open it will be better but still hot.

I wonder if you could use a transparent curtain to cut down on the intensity a little? I do this for some of my windows and it is the difference between happy plants and ones that are clearly stressed by the high temperatures.

Mike

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Mitzico,Maybe you can buy UV protection film for your west facing windows.I had to do this for my one west window.It really cut down on the heat in my kitchen and I had no more burnt leaves.This site gives an idea what and how to use the film.

Here is a link that might be useful: UV Film

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Thank you Mike and cpawl I do have a curtain but I think the UV film is going to be better, I thought that before many times.

Some hoyas like this condition, others don't, I'd love to have that beautiful red colour in some leaves like obscura, but even with the sun incidence they don't get that colour!

Maybe the sun incidence must be directly not through the window!

I keep trying even with all the problems I face to get a single cut of hoya!!!

My last order is lost somewhere...... never arrived, and I can't even ask for information because the vendor won't claim anyway...

Is it normal to have no information about dispatch

You entered: LJ640274888US

Your Item's Status
    Your item was accepted at 1:43 pm on February 04, 2012 ............... No further information is available for this item.
    See Details

Our Post Office is not good either but at least we have the information about when the package left our facilities.

It can be lost later, of course, but the primary information is always available! For me this is very strange! How can this service be called PRIORITY?

This is the first time in 3 years that I loose a package, I had a confiscation before but never lost any package, even without any track or register.

Too bad!

Mitzi

• tammypie
    12 years ago

My H. lauterbachii was moved upstairs to a west-facing window and seems to really enjoy this location. After I was told this particular hoya was high-strung, hated being moved, etc. she really responded to the new potting mix/move combination. She is turning greener too. My other eirostemma Ruthie seems to like the same spot and is growing a long vine.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Good luck with them Tammypie.....

I use to move my hoyas, I hope them don't mind!

Mitzi

Sponsored