Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ursula Is Being A Witch!

Posted by moonwolf 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 21, 10 at 12:38

Hi everyone,

My KQ, Ursula, is having problems. I notice that some of the leaves have some brown edges, then yellow and fall off. One entire leaf has silver blotches on both sides. Not all the leaves are doing this, thank heavens. I checked the soil the other day and it isn't dry.
Fortunately there is new growth. She's been moved closer to the south window, and loves it there.

So what could it be? Fungus? Bugs?

I should also mention that I bought some Garden Safe Houseplant and Garden Spray at the grocery store the other day. I have yet to use it on my mealie-troubled plants.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ursula Is Being A Witch!

I think I found my problem! I was reading one of my houseplant books and it says that too much water can cause older and newer leaves to yellow and fall. The brown tips may also have come from this. I'm going to have to change the soil when it comes time to repot. I have never repotted my KQ since I bought it. I hate to delay the blooming process since I see three peduncles on it.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Don't feel bad, Brad. It happens to all of us now and then. Right now, I have a couple that are being difficult. Today, I took a deep breath and chopped up my inperialis in hopes of saving it. I moved it to the north end of my GH in the fall because it was getting so big, I needed to support it on my trellis. Well, I set it on the floor and I think the cold floor might have been hard on it because it started getting yellow leaves that would eventually drop. I moved it, but I think it was too late. So, rather than let it keep declining, I made a bunch of cuttings out of it today hoping to save it. I'll keep the potted stump and put it outside this spring - it may well come back...

Just wanted you to know you're not alone!!

Denise in Omaha

o

The silvery patches make me think of spider mite or Phalenopsis mite damage. Take a tissue and wipe the leaves and if they stain the tissue a reddish colour they are spider mites. Do the leaves look like they have tiny pin holes where the mites may have been feeding?

Mike

o

Denise, so sorry to hear about your imperialis! I hope your cuttings do well for you! Thanks for the kind words!

Mike, nope I haven't seen little holes in the leaves, but I'll do the tissue test on it. Thanks for the tip!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here