Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Dieback on Carnosa

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Here is a picture of what's going on with Nikki. My carnosa cutting from TigerDawn (her grandmother's plant) had a vine that experienced this as well. The vines and leaves are dying back to the soil line. The funny thing is, it's just random vines. I do see a few mealybugs on my plant. Could they be the culprit? Or is it a soil/water issue?

Here are vines I just cut off from Nikki. I repotted her not too long ago. She was pretty rootbound.

The rest of her looks fine like I said. Should I take cuttings and start her over? I'd hate to lose my carnosas as they are my most sentimental plants. :(

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (6)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Brad how is the light this time of year for these plants? What is your method for watering, determining watering frequency. Occasionally you will see this sort of thing happen to an otherwise healthy plant but still it makes me think that something is not quite right. It could be that these growths were damaged when repotting was done and they lost their roots.
    As for mealies I have to literally spray my plants with warm soapy water every time I water them if I want to stay ahead. I will use a systemic on badly affected plants but otherwise soapy water does a great job if used often. Spraying a plant a couple times a week would be your best bet until you notice the mealies are gone.

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nikki hangs in my bedroom window, which faces east. Before I repotted her, she hung off to the left side of the south facing window. The funny thing is, it was showing the She gets more direct light now than before. I water usually once a week during the spring and summer and usually every other week in the fall and winter. It's been over a week since I watered her last. Truth be told, my plants have been a little more on the dry side this fall and winter than the last couple years.

I have a bottle of rubbing alcohol and mild dish soap mixed together. It's been a little while since I sprayed my plant (over a week).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Brad, I would suspect root damage if it was my plant. I encourage you to un-pot the plant and examine the roots. The roots should be white to a light brown and have no odor other than soil scent. I think you're going to find that some of the vines have rotted roots, and you'll have to take cuttings. I often don't water carnosas for 14-20 days...and mine are in bright light. Looking at your pictures, I'd be very concerned. Mealybugs are an unlikely candidate for what I'm seeing...make it a habit to spray your plants with soap/alcohol every 3-4 days to rid them of mealies...or better yet, buy some BATS...one treatment and you're safe for 6 months. Wishing you the best, fondly, Patrick

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Patrick, I'll be sure and check out the roots! The cutting from TigerDawn's grandmother's plant looks rootbound, so I'll repot it too. 14-20 days? Is that the year round watering system for your carnosas or just in the fall and winter? I'll have to make do with the rubbing alcohol and dish soap treatments for now until I'm able to go to Lowe's or HD to find some BATS.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I agree that it is most likely a problem with the roots but it is much more likely that it is from under watering than from over watering (root rot). Tonight I was watering some plants and I noticed that a vine on my Hoya tsangii plant has done the same thing, this moisture loving Hoya ended up very dry a little while back and that one vine never did recover. Brad did you notice that the leaves first looked dehydrated and then the vine started to die off?

Hoya carnosa does rather well grown dry but there is always a limit where the roots will die off. I think perhaps watering a little sooner than you have been would not be a bad idea.

Mike

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike, yep it would start with the leaves and then the whole vine shortly afterwards ended up looking dehydrated. Sorry to hear about your tsangii. Tomorrow, it looks as if Nikki's going to get a nice drink of water :). I watered the cutting from TD's grandmother today.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored