Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpawl

I think my elliptica has buds

cpawl
13 years ago

I'm not sure but I think my elliptica has a few peduncles growing.What do you guys think?

Another area that might be growing a few peduncles.

Last one.So what do you think?

Its so hard to get a good photo of these guys.

Cindy

Comments (59)

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have found this hoya dose not like to have the new vines touched much or it dies back.I let the vine grow quite long and then touch it only once.
    If all the areas that I think are peduncles then I should have 4 flowers.I grow this in my kitchen window and its cool in this room.I have a hard time keeping it at 62F/15C during the day.At night when the heat is turned off it must be quite cold.

Mike, I feel its to cold when it gets below 40F/4C over night.I think I would die at those tempts.

Cindy

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oops, I meant to mention the cold weather on the other message about spring.

Cindy

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Beautiful foliage, I love it, I have ordered Elliptica but it is retained at custom since Jan 31, I hope the cut is resistant!

Can anyone post some pictures of self-watering, I look at google but..... no comments.

And another question, sorry, I think hydroton is the same thing that I use in the botton of the pots, it seems to be exactly the same thing, but here we call "argila expandida" could be expanded argile????? LOL according to google it is Expanded_Clay_Pebble, is the same thing that hydroton????

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike a question,What do you mean elliptica has soft leaves?Mine are not really soft.They are firm,The one I cut up this winter had the leaves start to soften.This is why I took cuttings.

Mitzico,yes expanded clay is hydroton.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Cindy I just mean that the leaf is not stiff but flexible. Hoyas like Hoya micrantha have very hard leaves and Hoya meliflua has hard leaves with a thick waxy cuticle and I have yet to see a mealy bug on either plant. My little Hoya elliptica draws mealys from all around so have to watch it closely. I have noticed that if this one gets dry the leaves go limp and often times yellow and fall off. This has to be the most resilient Hoya though because I started my plant from a two inch piece of stem and half a yellow leaf. Where my plant has dropped leaves due to drying out a new vine has started to grow from each bare leaf node.
    You have inspired me to pot this one up into a bigger pot like it deserves. We have been having very nice sunny days all week so what better time to do some indoor gardening?

Mike

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, I get what you mean thanks for that.We have also been having sunny weather this week but have a rain warning for Friday.
    I think its time to pot yours up mike.Mine is in I think a 4 or 5 inch 2 pot self watering system.Since it has gotten cold it has not really grown much but the ones I have in the rooting chamber are growing fast.I have been thinking of potting them up.Not sure what method I will use.One cutting will be going to a hoya friend this spring so I could pot this one.

Cindy

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Cindy that is beautiful, looks like you have teeny buds on one of the peduncles. I got one a couple months ago, well actually 2, but 1 of the died, just like that in a matter of days. The other on is doing fine but just sitting there, hopefully in a couple of weeks it will be warm enough here for me to start moving them all outside. right now it is dang cold, well not as cold as ya'll but cold all the same, temps tonight are supposed to be down in the 30's but supposed to be sunny and 60's tomorrow. Yeah.

Dee

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dee,I also cant wait for the warmer weather so I can get the hoyas out side.Looks like we have about the same weather.Your right even 2 days later I see the buds more clearly.

Cindy

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I took a few more photos this morning.You now can see the buds more clearly.There are 5 peduncles with buds forming,so I guess it likes my cool kitchen.

Thanks for looking.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

That's fantastic! Can't wait to see the blooms!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Cindy was your plant labeled with either clone A or clone B?
    My plant is clone A and I think that the blooms and flowers are slightly different.

Mike

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Mike,
    I've wondered about that. Had asked Aleya Garden if the flowers were different and was told they didn't think so. Ordered both A & B and there was little, if any, noticeable difference. (One has since passed...I'm not home to look at the tag of the living one) I have another elliptica which came from Asiatica and it IS different. Slightly larger leaf and a little lighter in color, I believe.
    Do remember though that Antone had two varieties with two distinctly different flowers. I'm still holding out that I have one of both!
    Kelly

Here is a link that might be useful: Dischidia.com Eliiptica

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, I did not get my cutting from aleya but from some one else from Thailand who no longer sells:((
    I have wondered what/if there was a difference between the 2.
    Mike/Kelly dose your elliptica leaf look the same as mine.
    I have read on the Thai forum that the two types have different shape leaves and the flower was a bit different.
    Mike/Kelly can you post a photo of your elliptica.
    Thanks Kelly, I do hope they grow and flower for me
    Cindy

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Cindy my plants leaves look exactly like yours but my plant is much smaller and a little neglected. I did pot it up last week and gave it a stake to climb up. I had thought that the markings on the leaves of my clone A plant were more pronounced so that I why I chose it over clone B. I am unsure if that trait is true or not or if I just noticed it in the few photos I saw online at the time.

Mike

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike,I have sent Jack from epiphytica a question asking what might be the difference between the two are.He has 3 different ones on this site.One has a IML number that looks very different from clone A and B.I sent him a photo of mine.I will wait and see what he has to say.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Cindy,
    Thanks for mentioning that Epiphytica has 3 ellipticas! My one from Asiatica is obviously IML 1679 (on the left)! The other one is Clone A (on the right). Hope this means I will have both kinds of flowers shown on Antone's site!

May get the clone B again this summer, so we can do a comparison!

Kelly

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kelly, thanks for the picture.Looks like mine is clone A.I need to get the one with IML# I like how much bigger the leaves look,maybe I need clone B also:))

Cindy

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

When I first got the IML 1679 from Asiatica it had virtually no venation! Ended up questioning it as I had wanted it for the venation, seems to me I was told that the lack of was from being grown in low light. Sure enough as it grew out the venation appeared. Boy, was I relieved! I just love it!
    Cindy, I think your flowers should most like Epiphytica's clone B and will be pubescent, I believe.

Kelly

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Cindy and Kelly...I would love any suggestions either of you may have on growing this hoya, specifically the amount of water that they require, do they need to dry out between waterings? Kept evenly moist? I've had a dickens of a time with mine and would appreciate any suggestions you may offer. Thanks so much, fondly, Patrick

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Patrick,
    I grow mine in a self watering pot with hydroton. My larger one has been tempermental, but I just restart it and it comes back stronger!
    Kelly

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kelly, Why do you think Mine is clone B? Is it because the buds are red?

Patrick,I grow mine in a self watering pot,its a two pot system.The pot has a unglazed ceramic pot with a glazed outer catch pot.I grow it in very chunky coir.The one I have in more fine coir,same pot system had to be cut up.I still have a piece in the fine coir and it seems to be recovering.I have it growing in my cold kitchen in a south window but in the winter I do not really see the sun.I had to set up a T5 light above the window.It lives in this window all year and it grew like crazy last summer.

Cindy

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Cindy and Kelly, thanks so much for the information...both of you have gorgeous H. elliptica's....jeez, I had no idea there are 3 different clones!! I'll wait for the other two until I'm able to successfully grow the one I have. I've never tried a "self-watering" pot in the 38 years I've grown tropicals...maybe for elliptica it might be worth the try. Again, thanks a million! Fondly, Patrick

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kelly, I have reread what you wrote.I understand now what you are saying about my elliptica.Your saying my flower will look like the one posted on Epiphytica site,right?

Cindy

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Yes! I'm thinking clone A & B are similar enough that the flowers will be similar as well!

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's an up date on the buds on my elliptica.It looks like 7 peduncles grew over the winter and all of them are starting to bud up.

These 3 are getting a bit bigger.

And this peduncle looks like its trying to grow to wards the light.

Looks like I still have awhile before I see flowers.

Cindy

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Cindy,

I'm so curious, but it is taking a long time, isn't?

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

So how is it going????

Mitzi

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mitzi,Thanks for asking.The buds are getting bigger but still looks like it might be awhile.
    Photo taken last week.

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Aw, that's an awesome photograph. The colors are just so yummy.

I've made up my mind. I'm going to sew up a series of pillows based on Hoya buds. Then I can fall asleep in a nest of puffy star/flowers. Those little guys look like they're made out of microfleece, don't you think?

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Those are some rather cute buds.

GG I had thought about beading a pillow with a Hoya flower motif but I can't even properly draw a Hoya flower yet. A Hoya quilt would be cute, maybe a baby blanket.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Haha. Yes, drawing the Hoya flower.... hence the brilliance of my plan to stick with abstractly portrayed buds.

On the other hand, playful drawings in the style of May Gibbs would be super duper adorable. And manageable!

Don't even talk to me about baby blankets. I'm constantly getting suckered into making baby blankets, despite a complete lack of interest in babies. I dare you to make a quilt with a square for every Hoya you own.

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish I could get a good photo from behind,they are pure white and do look like little pillows.I wish they would hurry up a bit:))

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Ooo! Thanks for letting me know! I've already started a bud pillow inspiration file and I'm taking notes!

See, now this is what happens when people bring up baby blankets. Now, I'm imagining a little girl bed with elliptica leaf blanket and elliptica bud pillows. Probably a clear indicator that if I do become interested in kids, I'll have a bunch of boys. Get ready for your flower pillows, little men!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Cindy and Kelly...LOVE your Elliptica! They are both so beautiful.

Cindy, your buds are progressing very nicely! I love pictures of the closed buds too, even though we really love the open ones of course...very cool picture! Looking forward to seeing the open ones!

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Cindy,

Those buds are wonderful! Totally agree with them looking like little pillows! Hoping they'll open any day now for you...although if there like burmanica, they're going to make you suffer with anticipation for a bit longer!

Kelly

• cpawl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I needed a midnight snack and I cant go into the kitchen without looking to see if the buds have gotten any bigger from the last time I was in the kitchen.I all most started yelling for every one to get up and look but didn't. I took a couple of photos instead.

I hope the rest open by morning.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Wow, those are beautiful! Congrats!

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Cindy...they're gorgeous!! Great growing and congratulations!! Fondly, Patrick

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Congrats! They're gorgeous! Totally understand the wanting to scream! My usual reaction is "Nuh-uh", my mouth drops open and I stumble to grab the camera!

Yea, Cindy!

Kelly

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

OMG...they are Gorgeous Cindy...I probably would have screamed too! Only true hoya lovers understand our excitement,lol...

Congrats! Can't wait to see one of those in person someday!

Thanks for posting! Great job!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Those are some stunning Hoya flowers. I think what makes them different is just how thin the corona lobes become towards the center of the flower. Being able to clearly see that ring of purple and the bright yellow pollina really makes the blooms stand out.
    You will have to tell us how they smell once all the buds are open.

Congratulations Cindy!

Mike

• cpawl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone.The flowers are so nice to see up close and in person.This morning no change to how many are open.The fragrance is a bit hard to say what it smells like.I got my daughter to tell me what she thought.She said it reminded her of plain yogurt.It has no spicy or sweetness smell at all.I hope when they all open the fragrance improves a bit.

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Mike I completely agree with you about the purple and yellow. I also really like this moment before they reflex. They look like tiny dogwood blossoms.

/Cindy I really like your daughter's description. I'm so awful at putting words to smells and tastes. Thanks so much for sharing your blooms with us. It made my day.

• cpawl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Photo taken this morning.I am sad to report that the fragrance has not improve much.It smells a bit like sour yogurt.Its not strong and you have to put your face up close to get a strong whiff.Every one in my house says they dont mind the smell but I'm not to crazy about it.

• peanut01
    12 years ago

Cindy,
    Love the elliptica. Thanks for sharing your blooms.

-David

• cpawl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All the flowers are open tonight and I checked the fragrance to see if its different.It has become very pleasant It has gotten a bit of sweetness with a bit of sour yogurt.It dose not sound good but it is.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Congratulations again Cindy those really are impressive flowers. I like that you can still see the pink that you can see on the buds, that and the hairiness of the blooms.

Mike

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I'm glad the fragrance improved for you Cindy...but honestly, with such gorgeous blooms I don't think I would mind if it smelled bad,lol...the blooms are so pretty it makes up for just about anything. Thanks for posting and sharing with us.

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

LOL! ...Ironed Turtles...

Also, I need one. That is an amazing plant.

• cpawl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have to agree I don't really care if it smells good or not.I love the flowers and the leaves.Thanks every one for taking a look.

Cindy

Sponsored