Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethk1

Need help with id of this hoya

Someone gave me this lovely baby. I need help identifying it. Also, i just bought a H. lacunosa snow cap (full and blooming) because my 2 lacunosa plants are not looking well. I love the smell of lacunosas. The snow cap I bought has no scent! Is this normal? I thought all lacunosas had a scent. Thanks!

{{gwi:933350}}

Comments (10)

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

I can't see your photo for some reason.

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry greentoe, I will try again. If the photo still can't be seen, I'll ask my daughter to help out. Teens are better at this than I am. Thanks

{{gwi:933352}}

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The photo finally. I don't know if you can see it in the photo, but some of the edges are pink. What hoya is this? Thank you!

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

looks like H. carnosa Tricolor AKA Krimson Queen.

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you greentoes. I appreciate it.

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

The whole issue of Hoyas without a fragrance has come up before. I think last time I read it, it was someone complaining about buying a carnosa to replace one they had lost, and the new one didn't have a smell.

Maybe when they are mass-cultivating these popular Hoyas, sometimes a strain gets produced that happens to have low scent.

You are right, lacunosa Sno Caps should have a strong fragrance. Are the blooms old? And are you sniffing them in the evening, when the fragrance is strongest?

I guess wait and see till the next batch comes out and hope that it was just a temporary issue. But certainly this situation is not unheard of.

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you greedy.
    The lacunosa plants now smell wonderful. Just a few days after I brought them home, the scent was there! Gosh I just love these plants. It's interesting - these plants do only have a scent at night. The plant I previously had smelled Wonderful all day long and scented the entire room. But, I just love them and they are big and healthy. I purchased the plants on Feb. 25 and didn't have to water them until today. Just shows how much Lowe's overwaters and kills so many plants.

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Hey Liz

I'm so glad their fragrance returned! The lacunosa plants I have are only noticeably fragrant starting around dusk (unless you stick your nose right up to the flower). Most Hoyas are this way, because their primary pollinators are moths. Of course some Hoyas' scents are so strong that even during the day when they're weaker, it's quite noticeable.

It honestly is a bit frustrating that they don't make more of an effort to put in place a system for watering their living merchandise correctly. I know big box stores usually have no-questions-asked plant replacement policies, but when I take home a plant that is struggling, I always want to save it, not tell it, "sorry sucker, you're going back to the torture camp."

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Me too, I want to save them. I don't return them to t he torture camp either.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

> I purchased the plants on Feb. 25 and didn't have to water them until today [March 18]. Just shows how much Lowe's overwaters and kills so many plants.

It also shows the mix is way too water-retentive. Even when watered very generously (which is how most plants, certainly epiphytes like hoyas, should be watered), the mix should dry out in a week at most.

Consider repotting into a better draining mix, but keep in mind Exotic Angel hoyas tend to pout after a repot. Mine did, for months. About 10-15% of vines/plants even died. Taking cuttings before a repot is advisable if you are unsure. Of course the bonus is that they thrive in better mixes once they are over the repotting stress.

Sponsored