Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethk1

Ease of growing/blooming

Well, I had 3 questions, but I am down to 2. I was going to ask what a general guideline would be for watering hoyas. However, I was on SRQ Hoyas and I see that different varieties have different water needs - I am going to write their preferences right on the pots (because I would never remember). LOL

Has anyone bought a lauterbachii in a 2.5 or 4" pot and grown it as a houseplant and actually had it bloom? I killed mine and they are expensive.

Hoya archboldiana - Does the plant get too large to manage as a houseplant? I see that the leaves are quite large. Has anyone ever had one bloom? SRQ Hoya mentions that certain ones bloom early and are easy to grow. I'd like to try it someday, but I don't want to spend the $ and have it die. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• Denise
    10 years ago

Liz,

Archie (as I call it) grows well given the right conditions. It's happy if allowed to dry between waterings, but you can't let it be dry too long, so water as soon as it gets dry. Mine bloomed once, then I had some problems with it (let it get too dry...) It is absolutely worth growing!

I haven't tried lauterbachii myself - I've it can be tempermental. I will try it at some point, though.

Denise in Omaha

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Denise. Which Archie do you grow? Can you recommend a place where I can buy? I want to give it a try.

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Liz here again. LOL. This is what I have found online for sale: SRQ cutting $10-$20 depending on the variety (not even confident about which to buy), Logee's $12.95 for a 2.5" potted plant, and Hoyaplants.com $20 for a cutting. They all seem expensive. I've never grown a hoya from a cutting. Is one cutting sufficient to start a potted plant? Is it a better idea to buy the potted plant vs. a cutting?

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Liz,

I've had personal experience w the last vendor you mentioned & would NEVER give him my business again, nor ever encourage anyone I knew that was planning to use them. I notice he changed his site name.

All the plants I got from him died (I visited in person, & took the plants, so shipping wasn't an issue, the one thing I had him ship, he never labeled top & bottom as I asked). My misadventures w/ this man cost me $57 in 2007, no wonder he changed his site's name!!

Am betting I'm not the only one who found BOTH his plants & manner of business unsatisfactory.

As a grower in local plant societies (NYC) who have used Logees for yrs., it's now said (& has been for several yrs.) that their plants are too small now & too pricey for their size.

I'd go w/ SRQ, My recent first experience /w her was great & most of her cuttings (5/6) are doing well.

Forewarned is forearmed in my book!

If this is your FIRST Hoya, you may wish to start w/ something common & cheap to start learning how they grow & what care they like best.

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow pirate - thanks for the head's up, I will for sure avoid that seller. I have purchased from Logee's in the past, but I agree, you pay a hefty price for a very small plant. Thanks for all the great info.

• Jimmy
    10 years ago

Hi...SRQ is in the process of moving...so they wont be open till end of March or after.Logee's $12.95 price is for a rooted plant...so new growth should come much sooner.Gardino's in Fl. are 20$ for a rooted plant,but slightly lalger size.Order by phone and tell them you want a good size plant.I did that recently ordering some H. serpens from Logee's and got some really nice ones for 10$ a plant!

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great advice. Will do. Thanks

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County