Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to hoya care: next step with this plant?

Posted by RUPERTinCO none (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 15:57

I was given this plant just over a month ago, when some friends moved out of state. I've wanted a hoya plant for some time, ever since I saw one growing in a friend's house that had tendrills many, many feet long and decorated the room similar to Christmas lights. I'm not sure what to do for this one. It seems to need a repotting, and I have no idea what is going on with this double-pot system. Maybe to keep the soil in the clay pot from drying out too much without the possibility of overwatering? I don't want to kill it!! I gave it a month to adjust to my home, but since ariving a couple of it's thick waxy leaves have yellowed and fallen off. It actually started to get some tiny new leaves near the base, but they have since fallen off. ANY suggestions how to repot, and thereafter make this thing happy would be appreciated. Soil type? Pot type? How much water/sun?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to hoya care: next step with this plant?

Here is a close-up of those tiny, new leaves that didn't make it.

o

Looks like Hoya carnosa.It prob was in a rope plant hanger,with the larger pot to fit the hanger.Soil looks compacted,so i would repot and rinse off the old dirt and depending if the roots filld up the old pot,plant in the bigger pot..If not, replant in the same pot with some good potting soil or cactus soil and perlite ...you want good drainage so do half soil and half perlite.If you keep it in the original pot,replace the dirt in the larger pot with gravel for extra humidity.keep it in bright light with filtered sun.Let it dry in-between waterings.Carnosas are pretty tough plants! Good luck!

o

Okay, thanks for the advice. I just need to find a good pot - the one it's in seems just a little too small. Hopefully I can post a couple of pictures soon of this plant happily putting on new growth...

o

Pls know that Hoyas do best (we've found here) in smallish pots, not more than an inch or 2 larger than the root ball.

o

Yes, do NOT oversize the pot! Just a bit bigger than the rootball. Then "feel" the soil every few days. When the soil feels dry, in other words, it crumbles as you poke your finger into it, it's time to water. Water until it comes out of the drainage holes, let it sit in the runoff for about 15 min., then get rid of the excess water and don't water it again until it's dry. Use a dilute fertilizer - about 1/4 to 1/2 of what is recommended - each watering now until late full. Your Hoya will take off and grow like crazy!

Denise in Omaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here