Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamora_gw

I got a Hoya for the first time

Lamora
12 years ago

Yesterday and so far I really like it. Small yet, was looking at pics of them on Google, they can get quite big, can't they? I was really surpised, yes, I bought it on impulse. Not knowing what it was.

Someone mentioned spraying it with 1 part rubbing alcohol and 3 parts water for mealie bugs? as far as I can see, it doesn't have any... but I don't want it to start. Being new to plants, I have never heard of rubbing alcohol for this. Do I just spray it on? how much and how often should I do this? It is a Hindu Rope Hoya. If that helps.

I'm excited to have it, it's different for me. but sounds easy enough to take care of-- I like that part-- lol.

Thanks for any advice-- yes-- I will be asking questions..:)

Comments (4)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Hi Lamora. Congratulations on your new Hoya. Well, the trouble with Hoya compacta (aka Hindu Rope) is that its leaves are all curled up, so it's hard to see the mealie bugs.

It's kind of standard procedure to spray for bugs when you bring a new plant into your home because you don't want it introducing a pest into your existing population of healthy plants. It's a pretty good suggestion. You want to use 70% alcohol and dilute it well. I usually use just a couple tablespoons per a liter bottle, with some neem oil and dish soap but everyone has their own recipe. It's not such a bad idea if your plant is small to start by giving it a good shower with the nozzle attachment at your kitchen sink. If there are pests, you can reduce the population right off the bat and then spray afterwards. You want to keep your plant out of direct sunlight right after you spray. I would just spray 3 times, with 3 days in between each application. And keep your plant isolated from your other plants for a month.

Well, anyway, that's the hardcore policy. Everyone has to make their own decisions about the level of risk they are willing to deal with. If you don't have a large collection, or anything you can't live without, you can afford to be less fretful.

As for how big they get, yes most Hoyas get super big! :) Since you have a compacta, perhaps you'll enjoy this picture of David's Hoya compacta.

Source: Show us your big one

Look forward to seeing you around! ^_^

• Lamora
    Original Author
    12 years ago

greedyghost...wow-- don't know where I would put something like that!! so nice tho..

thanks for the info on what to do. Most plants I have atm are starter baby spider plants, I have a very large spider plant, but hung up away from the others. --and a potho. very small still, but growing!!

I will give it a good shower then... then spray it with the alcohol mix. just to be safe. Right now tho, there don't seem to be any bugs on it.. I think it is still a bit cold for them yet... will that mix prevent them from coming onto the plant? or just get rid of them.

thanks again :)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

It just acts as a mild insecticide, not a deterrent. It may be too cold for mealybugs outside, but not in the warm greenhouse your Hoya came from. Even the very most responsible growers have difficulty completely eliminating the occasional outbreak of mealies (or other pests), so there's always some risk.

It sounds like you have a good plan. I wouldn't stress too much about it - you're just being cautious to avoid future headaches.

Also, compacta isn't a speed demon, so don't worry about it turning into a monster like that anytime soon. ^_^ A plant like David's has been growing for decades.

• Denise
    12 years ago

Lamora,

Welcome to the addictive world of Hoyas. I wouldn't worry too much about treating for mealies unless you see them. Just keep a close eye out for them. I take my Hoyas to the kitchen sink when I water and inspect them closely. As long as you're diligent about watching for them, it'll be fine.

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz