Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dalette_gw

Elenors V11

dalette
13 years ago

Do you think you could use this solution to grow Lucky Bamboo Plant in???

Comments (8)

• Denise
    13 years ago

IMO, it's a great product to grow ANYthing in!

Denise in Omaha

• penfold2
    13 years ago

The N-P-K of VF-11 is only 0.15-0.85-0.55, which is practically nothing. I'd look for a more typical fertilizer.

Eleanor's VF-11 Guaranteed Analysis

• Denise
    13 years ago

It's not so much a fertilizer as a mineral boost. I use it year round as both a water-in and foliar spray, then about twice in the summer, I use a bloom booster fertilizer. And I have about 350 fat and happy plants. So for me, VF-11 is the bomb.

Denise in Omaha

• penfold2
    13 years ago

It's not so much a fertilizer as a mineral boost.

But fertilizers ARE minerals. This is what I don't like about VF-11. Many people claim it's a miracle product, but no one can tell you what's in it. I don't support products like that, but if other people think there's something to it, so be it.

Since we know VF-11 contains very little actual nutrition, it would not be appropriate for use as the sole fertilizer. If dalette will be growing this plant in water, then there will be no soil or controlled release fertilizer to provide nutrition. A fertilizer with a more substantial N-P-K level would be best.

• patrick51
    13 years ago

There are many advantages to Eleanor's VF-11...most importantly, there's no build up of salt, which requires flushing of the soil. With over 500 houseplants, flushing the soil once or twice a year is not feasible. Secondly, the stuff does work, whatever they put in it, it certainly works...almost unbelievably....I have had my plants blooming all winter long...and I can only credit it to VF-11...my Lacunosa 'Sno Caps' had over 50 blooms on it, H. bella has a dozen, H. finlaysonii has 7 peduncles and bloomed 4 times in January...and the list just goes on and on...and I live in Michigan!! No other fertilizer I've used in my 38 years of growing plants has had the results that VF-11 has given me...so, it's either the VF-11, or our Heavenly Creator is blessing me abundantly. I choose to believe both are the cause. Just my experience! Fondly, Patrick

• penfold2
    13 years ago

It's nice to hear about people having success, but if VF-11 does not cause salt accumulation, then it is not providing any nutrients either. Plants require minerals like nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, etc. These are all dissolved solids (i.e. salts) that are capable of accumulating to harmful concentrations. If you are providing them at desirable concentrations, then you need to flush the soil occasionally. If you are using VF-11 (or no fertilizer at all), then you may not need to flush often, but you also are not providing any significant nutrients for your plants. Many plants may tolerate low nutrient levels. It's just a matter whether you want to maximize convenience (no flushing), or vitality (proper nutrient levels). In this case you can't have both.

As to your success, it may be that the minimal amount of nutrition in VF-11, tap water, and the soil itself is enough for adequate growth in many Hoya spp. VF-11 is not, however, a complete fertilizer, and I don't believe it would be the best choice for growing lucky bamboo (Dracaena) in water, as the OP asked. The N-P-K level is proof of that.

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Penfold, you may be entirely correct...but, I've watered my Lucky Bamboo with VF-11 for 2 years now..and it's doing better than I'd like it to do!! LOL Do these things ever slow down on the growth?! Fondly, Patrick

• penfold2
    13 years ago

Good to hear. A long time ago I used to have some lucky bamboo that I grew in nothing but tap water. I wouldn't recommend it, but it did slowly grow. It reminds you that most houseplants are chosen for their tolerance of adverse conditions.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm