Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Hoya finlaysonii?

Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 14, 10 at 19:02

This plant was donated to our Botanical Garden's house plant propagation group and tentatively identified as Hoya finlaysonii. The color of the flowers doesn't seem quite right, though, so we would like to get a definitive id.

Thanks for your help!
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Hoya finlaysonii?

Not sure...but that flower sure is BEAUTIFUL! The color is so pretty. Mine's not bloomed yet...but from the pics I've seen of Finlaysonii blooms the color doesn't match? It might also be the camera or the lighting when the pic was taken. The leaves on yours resemble mine. So many different varieties out there, I'm still learning. Will look forward to someone iding this one for you. What a NICE donation! Thanks for the picture!

o

Hmmmm....I would say give it another day or two and let the blooms open up fully and take another picture for us if you would please.

The leaf does look like finlaysonii, but it will be the flower that will help the experts ID it for you.

I agree with Pug , what a very nice donation to your Botanical Garden. Good luck with your ID.

o

There is huge variation within the species Hoya finlaysonii. Both the flower colour and the leaf size, shape, texture and colour. Your plants leaves look very much like my Hoya finlaysonii Chanin Thout (collection site in Thailand? not to sure) that came from Paul Shirley's collection.
I would leave the label as it is with just Hoya finlaysonii.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here