Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_julie_

Guiding kerrii

_Julie_
13 years ago

Hi All,

I believe, somewhere in my research about caring for hoyas, I read something about not restraining a hoya branch with the growing end pointed toward the ground or it will die. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Julie

Comments (6)

• Denise
    13 years ago

Julie,

Yes, you've got it right. Kerrii is almost impossible to train. My regular kerrii has gotten so large and wild, my plan it to chop it up and sell/trade the cuttings this year. Other clones, like "hairy kerrii" and the veined clone, seem to stay more compact. But kerrii is irresistable nonetheles...

Denise in Omaha

• _Julie_
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Denise. Mine is reverse variegated. If it winds up being one that grows like crazy, I'll be thrilled :) I'd been thinking about the combination of not wanting to restrain it pointing toward the ground, with the fact that they are easier to direct when they are younger/newer, and thought maybe trying to train it in the typical vertical circle may not be the best route to take. I think I'm going to change to trying to get it to spiral around something like a small tomato cage.

Thank you much,
    Julie

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hi Julie,

Over time you may fnd this not to be an issue w/ the variegated Kerriis as they aren't as fast growing as the all green. I too have several Kerriis, an all green, a reverse variegate & a variegate w/ a white edge, growing Hydro.

While I consistently have to cut back the green one every year & make cuttings of it, I have never had to do so w/ the variegates, they're just slower, tougher candidates to grow in my experience.

Tho' generally speaking I've found Denise's observation about that to be true, & I do try to point growing vines upward, especially when tethering the vines to the plant's hanger or up its trellis.

• _Julie_
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks pirate_girl!
    I'm still holding my breath while mine adjusts to the new environment. I just started to adjust to the EA plants, and now these two (kerrii and obovata) in considerably better draining potting mix... They still need amazingly little water! :) I'm pretty sure I overwatered it a bit in the first week (got one leaf that turned a little pale/yellow), and so I'm in a waiting game.... See if watering less greens that leaf back up, and hope for some little bit of new growth on the plant as a sign that it's happy. Oy! :)

I'll be sure to keep the growing end from being restrained pointed toward the ground. Should be easier with the way I have it set up now.

I think I'm going to get a solid green one as well, eventually. I like them better and better every time I look at photos.

Thanks again,
    Julie

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

I have 6 clones of H. kerrii and they are amongst the handful that I have to leave in the gh when I bring all the others out during the spring and summer months.

They grow so fast and the stems are so stiff that there really isn't much that you can do with them except let them go where they wish to go. Of the 6 clones that I grow the pubescent (hairy) form seems to be the slowest growing at the moment and i've found it not as easy to root as the others.

I can't say how well the 2 newest clones I have will grow yet as I haven't had them long enough to really see what they can do!!! Though the one with the heavily silver speckled leaves has sprung into action already and so far does seem to be a good grower. The other new one is a variegated one having spots and stripes all over the leaves and so far it seems to be the slowest growing one of them all.

My solid green ,the variegated and the reverse variegated all grow and bloom like weeds. As far as having any vines to die off because of being restrained downwards yes they will get tip die off if you restrain it.But if allowed to grow down naturally,the vine will eventually begin to climb back upwards in the search for light.

Growing as many hoyas as I do it's physically impossible for me to stay on top of keeping everyone growing in an upright position. I've been growing hoyas now for i'd guess close to 9 years and have found that so long as I don't restrain any vines that have started growing in a downward position,if left alone they will correct themselves and thrive.

david

• _Julie_
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yea! :) My favorite things about the kerrii, before I got one, were that it is described as a fast, obstinate grower; and that it's vine and leaves are so succulent like. It *is* obstinate, I can see that already in my plant (lol). We'll see if it grows fast in the environment I provide.

Thank you! :)

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6