Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojavelove

Is this a carnosa AND what's on it?

MojaveLove
13 years ago

Stopped at HD and it was really confusing! There was a Hoya there called Hoya pubea which doesn't seem to exist. It was nice - it was really dark green, really hard, and fuzzy. I didn't get it because even though it was in a smaller pot there was a lot of plant and some of the vines were dried and not looking so good. There were also three hoyas that were unlabeled that looked like carnosa but they all had different shaped leaves. I bought one. It's weird - it doesn't look like the variegated carnosa version (the white and green are switched) plus there are some plain green leaves with the white flecks. Some of the new white/green leaves are pink. Here are some images of the leaves and then I have a specific Q about the last pic:

Ok on this leaf do you see that gross web looking thing? Does this mean that something is living in it or infesting it...

Thanks everyone!

Comments (9)

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok so I found a few more examples of that white stuff and it's weird - it stretches like it is sticky but it is webbing. I gave it a shower and dried it with a hair dryer (lol). Wondering if this is something that needs to be returned.....please let me know ASAP I haven't been able to find anyone else with sticky white webbing on their plants!

• cpawl
    13 years ago

To be sure you have killed what ever this is you can wipe the leaves with alcohol.
    If you don't cut off those all green vines it will cause the plant to revert to all green.You can root the green vines and have another plant.I had my pot full of all the green vine flower before the mother plant.

Cindy

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm too afraid of what the little splotches are and am going to return it this morning. I'm kind of sad ha...it's a beautiful plant but I just have this aversion to it for some reason.

• klyde
    13 years ago

Looks like mealies to me...sorry. Return or treat.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Yes, it is mealies, I agree return or treat, I'm too am sorry you've have this unfortunate experience. Most of us have, part of the learning curve.

If you did so in the store, then pls. disregard this next suggestion.

If you didn't, it's important to look at a plant closely before buying it, I try to pick it up & check it closely under the leaves where insects like to hide.

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Yeah looks like mealies to me. Usually not that huge of a deal unless you have lots of other plants that Mealies are attracted too. Some of the white on the leaves is dried up water spots as well.

I find the Mealies in the leaf nodes. Sometimes under the rim of the pot. Sometimes along the main vines. I typically do not see them on the actual leaves of my Carnosa. Alcohol, Neem, or Dishsoap are all helpful on bad infestations when hand squishing/removal are not enough. Qtips and toothpicks help remove the mealies in the more hard to reach places.

-David

BTW - When shopping at some of the big box stores it is hard to find Carnosa without some level of Mealie infestation. The workers there do not care as long as the plants look good and are selling. Even if they do not all they write the plants off and throw them away. They get more credit throwing many of their houseplants rather then selling them for discounted prices.

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I returned it the next day, I have a lot of succulents in my house which I know mealies like :)

I didn't realize carnosa was such a magnet for them in the stores. Noted!

Does anyone have an idea about what the Hoya Pubea is that I came across? The leaves were smaller than carnosa. I'm going to try to find it online in the mean time since pictures are always better.

• MojaveLove
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Found it - what is it I really liked it lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery plant

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Wow that name is way off! Your plant is Hoya nummularioides.

Mike

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions