Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

February Flowers

mdahms1979
11 years ago

I finally made the time to take a few photos. Unfortunately the Hoyas were mostly either just finishing flowering or in bud. Hoya kanykumariana has been blooming all winter, so had Hoya buotii and praetorii.

This is Hoya sp 25 from Thailand. This Hoya's flowers are very hard to photograph. The blooms were dropping like flies as I tried to photograph them. This is a great grower and it develops many long (4") thin peduncles.

There have been lots of orchids in flower so I thought I would share the ones I photographed today.

Bulbophyllum falcatum from Africa, with it's strange pea pod shaped flower rachis lined with little flowers that rock back and forth to trap pollinators.

Bulbophyllum elassonotum is from Vietnam. It has wonderful flower spikes that look like crooked orange fingers.

More to come as they begin to bloom. Please feel free to add your flower photos as well.

Mike

Comments (16)

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to share you photos with us Mike.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Cindy. I am thrilled to report that very soon my plants will have a room all of their own, soon to be brightly lit using sun tunnel skylights for optimum growth.
    My house hunting has finally payed off. Perhaps now I will have time to take more photos. Well after all the legal/banking aspects are finished. It has be fun but very stressful at times.

Mike

• mayyan
    11 years ago

Mike I hope you don't mind I am adding some first time blooming of mine.

Hoya hellwigiana IML 1101
    {{gwi:934838}}
    {{gwi:934839}}
    {{gwi:934841}}

Hoya sp. Kalimantan IML 1168
    {{gwi:934843}}
    {{gwi:934844}}

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very nice. The deep colouring on those Hoya sp Kalamantan flowers is stunning.

Please everyone feel free to post your photos to this thread. It's so cold and wintery here right now that seeing some nice photos will help me ignore the snow!

Mike

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Mike congratulations on your new home.I bet your hoyas are going to love there new room.I can hardly wait until I can get my new green house built.

Mayyan love the Hoya hellwigiana IML 1101 flowers.I hope one day to have this hoya in my collection.

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Ok not a flower yet but I am still super excited that the buds on mulifloria are still growing.I so want to see these flowers.

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Congrats on the flowers, everyone! It's flowerless here at my place. I only see some new growth on a select few of my Hoyas, but that does raise one's hopes ;-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tingtingeling
    11 years ago

Bella is the only one blooming here now...I really should set up some lights for my hoyas. How they survive the lack of light during winter is a mystery to me

• cpawl
    11 years ago

my lacunosa large leaf IML 1813 has started to open her flowers this afternoon.

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Side view

• restoner
    11 years ago

Wow, that Bella is so pretty -- jewel like.

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Side by side photo of Giant and a EA lacunosa.

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Cpawl,
    your large leaf (and bloom) lacunosa looks great!
    Congrats! Can I ask where you got it? It looks like lacunosas bloom constantly here, so I want them all :)!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cindy don't you just love that Hoya sp aff lacunosa Giant. My plant has been blooming on and off all winter and putting out lots of new peduncles on the new growth. At least I notice the flowers on this one which is something I often miss on the regular lacunosa.

Mike

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Mike I also like this one a lot.I find the fragrance to be so much stronger than my EA ones.As soon as the lights go out the whole fills with its aroma.
    Aggie I got this as a cutting as part of a group order from DL.

• Klea
    11 years ago

Beautiful flowers!

And such a delicate color on the hellwigiana IML 1101 - love it!! :) It matches perfectly with the blush on the leaves.