Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumb_gw

Hoya sp. Kalimantan, IML 1168, Photos

Greenthumb
14 years ago

Hi all,

I took a couple of photos of my Hoya sp. Kalimantan, IML1168, today that didn't turn out too bad.

Here is the first photo:

Hoya sp. Kalimantan IML 1168

and here is a second photo that's a little closer.

Hoya sp. Kalimantan, IML 1168

This plant has not grown at all since I've had it. I am hoping that when the warmer weather gets here, it puts on some growth!

Mike

Comments (12)

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

Ooh, it almost looks like a creature! That's a striking plant. Thanks for sharing your pics!

• patrick51
    14 years ago

Beautiful plant, Mike...thanks for sharing...I agree with you...it's different from Borneo gunung gading...but, a real beauty regardless. I'm so desperate for winter to end and to see my hoyas start to grow like wild...they've been growing all winter, but not with the same vitality as during the summer. Again, thanks for the photos!! Fondly, Patrick

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

Gorgeous, Mike!

How do you get your signature on the photo?

Thanks!
    Kelly

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Wow! great leaves on that hoya.

• Greenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Quinn, Yes, the plant almost does look creature-like!

Patrick, Yes, H. sp. Kalimantan is very different from H. Borneo Gunung Gading, but still has exquisite leaves!

Kelly, I have a Mac at home and I have a program that allows me to put whatever watermark on a photo I want. There are tons of programs like this for a PC. If you Google PC watermark program, you should get a lot of hits. There may even be a program in Windows XP or Windows 7 that allows you to do this already.

If you have a Mac, I will have to wait until I get home from work to find out the exact name of the program I use because the exact name escapes me right now. (:o(

Jan, Yes, the leaves are pretty spectacular. In David Liddle's catalog, he says that H. sp. Kalimantan is "the very best of the two-toned leaf species." And I agree!
    Mike

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Beautiful Hoya, one I have considered many times but it was the most expensive Hoya on David Liddles list. I am pretty sure that I have read that the leaves can grow quite long and dagger like, that must be quite a sight to see.

Mike

• Greenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Yes, H. sp. Kalimantan, IML 1168, was not cheap ($27.50 USD), but I think the leaves are worth the cost. I had not heard that the leaves would/could get bigger than they are now, so that's great news!

Yes, BIG leaves with those markings will be pretty impressive, I'm sure. (now, being able to to keep the sucker alive to actually see those big leaves, is another story altogether!) (:o)
    Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Mike, thanks so much for posting those pictures. The leaves are really very striking! I don't know what Callistopylla variety I will end up with, but I wouldn't mind either of those, that's for sure. Thanks again for the pictures. What a gorgeous plant!

• Greenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Pug,
    No problem! Anytime!
    Mike

• dmichael619
    14 years ago

MikeD, this one (IML 1168) the leaves don't grow much larger than those in the pictures above. They will get a little larger but not by much. I have been growing this hoya now for not quite 2 years and all of the new leaves that it has produced have grown to become maybe a third size larger than the original D.L. leaves that it came with.

There is another bi colored hoya that he introduced in his catalog at the same time as IML 1168. The second one was IML 1752 sp. Sarawak which did have long dagger shaped leaves. I grow both and can post a pic of both for comparison maybe tomorrow,that is if I can remember to go out to the gh and take them!!!

dmichael

• Greenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dmichael,
    Thanks for the info.

Yes, I'd love to see photos of IML 1752 (and I'm sure everyone else here would love to see the photos, too!)
    Thanks,
    Mike

• milocat4
    10 years ago

Hi. I just missed bidding on this hoya on ebay. Does anyone have this hoya that they are willing to sell (cutting or plant)?

Was thinking about ordering from overseas seller (TOPlants.com) but can't find reviews about them so I'm hesitant.

Would prefer a US seller if possible.

Thanks!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions