Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumb_gw

Photos of Hoya sp Borneo Gunung Gading

Greenthumb
14 years ago

Hi pug,

Well, I finally got my a$$ in gear and got the photos of Hoya sp. Borneo Gunung Gading (a new collection of Hoya callistophylla from Borneo) taken and loaded into PhotoBucket.

The leaves on this plant are quite different from the other three clones of Hoya callistophylla I have in my collection. Hoya Gunung Gading has MUCH more prominent veining on its leaves and the veins don't seem to fade as the leaf gets older. The leaves on this plant are also much thinner than the leaves on the other H. callistophylla clones I have. These leaves almost feel "card-like" when compared to the other H. callistophyllas I have.

This plant came from Florida so I will have to wait a while and see if there are any changes in the leaves after being grown in my conditions for a while (so far there are no changes at all.)

Last summer I purchased the two clones of Hoya callistophylla that David Liddle has in his collection. He thought that IML1174 was Hoya sp. Borneo Gunung Gading (IML0554 is the type plant of H. callistophylla), but IML1174 is nothing like the H. Gunung Gading I received from the seller in Florida, on eBay, so I think this is a completely new collection of another Hoya callistophylla clone.

Here is a photo of the whole plant:

Hoya sp. Borneo Gunung Gading (Hoya callistophylla)

And here is a closeup photo of the leaves

Hoya sp. Borneo Gunung Gading

Sorry for the delay...

Mike

Comments (14)

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

That's beautiful, Mike!

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Mike,

Thanks for sharing. That is, by far, the most striking hoya I have seen to date. The veining is so prominent, it almost looks like you took a fine tip marker and outlined the leaf. . . WOW!

How long have you had it? Would you mind sharing the name of the vendor? Has it gotten any new leaves since you've had it?

I have a callistophylla I purchased from Gardinos last summer, it is prety, but no where near as attractive as yours. Mine has only gotten two new leaves that lasted, the first one, I accidently bumped and it fell off. I consider mine to be a slow grower, so I am curious if yours is the same.

That one is going on my *must have* list for sure.

Thanks again,

Maid~

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Mike, THANK YOU for posting those pictures. I totally agree how beautiful the leaves are...so striking. I just love the veining of the leaves. That is def. going on my very short wish list this year :o) Thanks again!!

Mike, I take it that particular one didn't come with an IML#?
    Would you say this one to be close to H.sp IML#1168?

• Greenthumb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kelly, thanks!

Maid,
    I purchased this plant off of eBay last October from Fatplant2020 and I just recently found out that Fatplant2020 is the head grower of Exotic Angel plants at Hermann Engelmann's greenhouses in FL. (I paid $76.00+ for this plant, so it was not inexpensive!)

This plant has been a slow grower for me, but the weather was getting pretty cold when it was shipped to me, so I'm not expecting any growth until the weather warms this spring/summer.

pug,
    No problem! Sorry it took me so long to get the photos posted. (:o(

There is no IML number for this plant. Only plants that are collected and sold by David Liddle have IML numbers. (David honored his wife by using her initials in his numbering system for his plants. David's wife's name is Iris Marie Liddle.)

No, I don't believe that this plant is close to IML 1168 at all. Both have very deeply colored leaf veins, but the leaves look different. The leaves on IML 1168 are quite light in color and the leaves have a completely different texture/look to them.

I will see if I can get a photo of my IML 1168 this weekend. We're supposed to have snow all weekend so getting a good photo may be difficult (without any sun.) I'll add the photos to this thread when I get them.
    Mike

• PRO
  • quinnfyre
    14 years ago

I love it, it's beautiful! I wish I could get one too.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

What a beauty! I find with my Hoya callistophylla that the amount of light the plant recieves is a very important factor when considering the contrast between the leaf colour and the leaf veining. I grow my plant in bright light so the bachground leaf colour will be light green. Even though your plant has medium green leaves the veining is still very defined.

Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks again Mike...will look forward to a pic of #1168.

• patrick51
    14 years ago

Like Mike, I purchased my H. gunung gading from Fatplant...and, oddly enough, we paid the same price...it was up for bidding. I lost out on an earlier auction of gunung gading...it ended up going for $119...I bid $116 as my top bid. I believe the $76 or $78 that I spent was well worth the money...the plant is actually nicer in person than the pictures indicate. I've had mine for about a month or so longer than Mike...and mine has grown quite a bit...sending out two long vines...with tiny leaves emerging. It's a real beauty. Thanks, Mike, for posting the pictures!! I agree with Mike, too, that this is the nicest of the H. callistophylla group...smaller leaves with much more shine and the venation is sooooo attractive! Fondly, Patrick

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Patrick, I wish you could post pictures of yours too...but I know that you haven't got the "picture posting" stuff quite together yet...but I am waiting/hoping very patiently,lol...

If the prices stay around $75-$119 for that plant, I'm afraid I will have to be satisfied with the good old Callistophylla, I will just live vicariously through you guys :o). I am def. getting a Callistophylla, what mine will end up looking, I guess will the question?

• milocat4
    10 years ago

Hi Mike. Do you know if this is the same as Hoya UT158?

Thanks

• milocat4
    10 years ago

Hi Mike. Do you know if this is the same as Hoya UT158?

Thanks

• HU-162587365
    3 years ago

Really the leaves are gorgeous. I have a small cutting waiting for root.

• Toh Aik
    2 years ago

Hi May I know the colour of the underside of the leaf?

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus