Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

2 new hoyas, one needs a name plz. . .

maidinmontana
14 years ago

Hi folks,

I saw the first hoya at Lowes last week. I went back again today to get a picture for you guys to help ID it. . . well I decided to just buy it, mainly b/c I like it and secondly I watched the lady water it after I had touched the soil and it didn't need to be watered, so justified my purchase by saying I rescued it. . thats my story anyway :)

Its an EA plant and the tag says hoya carnosa, which I don't think it is. It sort of resmebles brevliata/incurvula, which I have. But the leaves are smaller and they aren't cupped like the other one. I took a picture of my brevliata/incurvula as a comparison. Any ideas?? Please don't tell me it's they're the same plant.

mystery hoya/dischidia ? ? ?

{{gwi:935034}}

close-up

{{gwi:935035}}

{{gwi:935038}}

incurvula/brevliata

{{gwi:935040}}

close up

{{gwi:935042}}

and heres a H. curtsii I got too. . .

{{gwi:935044}}

{{gwi:935046}}

From what I understand curtsii is hard to grow, but I'm up for the challenge.

Thanks for looking, and for your input. . .

Maid~

Comments (10)

• trini1trini
    14 years ago

The first one is some kind dischidia.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

My vote is for Dischidia as well, maybe Dischidia geri.

Mike

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Nice score Maid!! I've not had much luck with my small cutting of Curtisii...it just didn't grow for me. I ended up trading mine. Yours is nice and big so I'm sure you will do well with it! Thanks for pictures and Congrats!

Know very little about Dischidias...but I agree that I don't think its a hoya, so I'm sure its what Mike and Trini says it is.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Nice score Maid!! I've not had much luck with my small cutting of Curtisii...it just didn't grow for me. I ended up trading mine. Yours is nice and big so I'm sure you will do well with it! Thanks for pictures and Congrats!

Know very little about Dischidias...but I agree that I don't think its a hoya, so I'm sure its what Mike and Trini says it is.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

I was just looking at an online price list and saw a photo of Dischidia oiantha and it looks just like your plant, another possibility to check out.

Mike

• Denise
    14 years ago

Yes, it's D. oiantha Schltr., a variety of oiantha. I think it's the proper name for geri. I have a couple of different clones of this one that only differ in the flower clusters - one's clusters are much larger than the other, the smaller one has blush flowers. Otherwise, they look identical...

The one I've grown many years as oiantha is the one I sent you a photo of privately, so there are apparently many forms of it.

Denise in Omaha

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

That's it. I have to go to Lowe's now.

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. . . sorry it took so long to reply, I had internet issues. . .

Yes Denise, there must be different forms of this plant, b/c you gave me a cutting last April and it doesn't look anything like this one, nor does the pic you e-mailed me.

At any rate, I do like the plant, I seem to be able to grow Dischidias well, so even tho it isn't a hoya, I like it.

Why does EA have such a problem labeling their plants???? This isn't even close to a hoya carnosa, which is what the label says. . . . sigh. . .

Thanks again everyone. . .

Maid~

• Denise
    14 years ago

Debi,

I have a feeling that often during shipment and handling the tags get bumped off and not always get back on the right plants. But they also seem to have unique names for certain Hoyas. Like tsangii/DS-70 is usually labeled bilobata and lacunosa is labeled "mini waxleaf", yet when you look on their site in the description, it has the correct names. Right now, they don't even have that Dischidia listed, either under Hoyas or Dischidias. Are you sure it's an EA plant?

Denise in Omaha

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yip, its a EA plant Denise. Even if the tag was wrongly placed, the pot color, hangers and the soil definitley scream EA. When I was trying to figure out what it is, I looked at your albums and for a bit thought maybe it was H. picta. What do you think? I didn't see that on their website either tho.

O, the wacky world of hoyas. . .

Maid~

Sponsored