Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyknits

Hoya retusa surprise!

kellyknits
13 years ago

Took retusa down to water and found two flowers and a bud on the sunny side of it!

This is the third time it's bloomed with just a few flowers - that I'm aware of! Because it produces single buds they can easily be missed! What a pleasant surprise though!

Comments (11)

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Very cool! That IS a nice surprise.

(Also, I still need to answer your email; I haven't been ignoring it, just been overwhelmed again lately. I have too many things to research and decide on, and all I want to do is knit. Sooo obsessed, it's really not even funny.)

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not a problem! I've no doubt you do have much on your plate and totally understand just wanting to knit...or play with plants! Have you ventured into Ravelry.com yet? It makes knitting decisions OVERWHELMING, but I like that it allows searches using stash yarn!

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

lol! That is too cute. I love the idea of it hiding little single buds from you. I swear, I wouldn't notice half my blooms if I didn't have to take my hanging plants down to water them.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Such cute blooms! I wonder of this one blooms better in bright light vs shade? I have my plant in the shade but it's not doing much but looking ugly ever since I potted it up a few sizes.

Mike

• indiana_ron
    13 years ago

Wow! The beauty of that single flower really stands on its own. Your photos are superb, they seem three dimensional. Ron

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

That's true about the three-dimensional, Ron. I'm glad you commented because I went back and took a closer look.

That first picture especially captures the wabi-sabi beauty of the blossom's curves. It kind of makes me want to be a tiny insect lounging around on that surface. It looks like velvety pillow or lounge chair. Plus, I just now noticed the way you can see the little curl of red at the points.

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike,
    I bought this in 2007 and kept it in a more shady spot intially and after a while it sulked! Thought it just didn't like my environment. Ever since it's been right up against the glass (with a sheer curtain) and getting south/SW light it's done much better and has grown quite a bit. The three blooms are all on the side facing SW.

Now if I can just figure out what to do with serpens which I bought at the same time and is still sulking after a couple of restarts.

The flowers really are darling! Up close they look sort of plush/velour! Hope one day it will bloom profusely! I think the first two times it bloomed it only had one flower...at least that I could find, so it has triple it's blooms! LOL

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hey there Kelly,

What a wonderful surprise, congratulations to you. Pretty nice photos too!! Have you noticed any fragrance, maybe during evenings?

• peanut01
    13 years ago

I'll 2nd that question regarding evening scent. Also do you have a full on shot of the entire plant. I would love to see her.

TIA,
    David

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the whole plant:

I wasn't expecting a scent, but thought I'd check...had to get up really close with so few flowers, but there is definitely a scent! It's sort of sweet, but couldn't quite put my finger on it - checked www.growinghoyas.com and she says lemony. I would agree with that! It's a sweet, lemony smell!

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the whole plant:

I wasn't expecting a scent, but thought I'd check...had to get up really close with so few flowers, but there is definitely a scent! It's sort of sweet, but couldn't quite put my finger on it - checked www.growinghoyas.com and she says lemony. I would agree with that! It's a sweet, lemony smell!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County