Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Move along, nothing to see here.

greedygh0st
13 years ago

Okay, I tried to forbid myself to post this, on the grounds that it's as dull as mud and everyone here has seen a thousand pictures of lanceolata bella in bloom. Frankly, it's embarrassing that I'm this thrilled.

But, there was no stopping me. It's the first time this one has bloomed for me, and I'm happy. And, everyone irl just smiles vacantly at me when I tell them... waiting patiently for an opportunity to change the subject.

So, there's only you guys. Don't get mad at me. I did warn you in the thread title!

I've had this one for a year and a half. I received it on August 01, 2009 as a very very very small rooted plant.

I just about knocked the buds right off it before I discovered them b/c they were the last thing I expected. I rather consider this my most abused Hoya b/c it is dry as a bone every time I handle it. I swear, I could turn around 5 minutes later and pick it up and it would be light as a feather again. What do these plants DO with all that water? I have an Alsobia 'Cygnet' that's the same way.

Comments (11)

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Oh come on, cut yourself some slack! Bella is called bella for a reason... it's pretty! I can say that I enjoy seeing it! And it's supposed to be kind of picky, right? So a blooming one IS an accomplishment. Anyway, I love the flower shape, and the color combination. My sp. Tanna Island is supposed to have a similar flower, I believe. But as happily as that one grows, it shows no signs of wanting to bloom. At all.

Congrats on your first bella blooming!

• binlin
    13 years ago

It's very pretty, I had a small bella cutting I got from a greenhouse, but it was pretty sickly and I threw it out when I noticed that it had brought mealies along with it.
    This picture kinda makes me wish I still had it though lol.

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi gg
    Congratulations on your first bella flowers.I love how bella just blooms and blooms.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

No buds are dull! I LOVE bella!

Congrats!

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

GG, you bella looks "bela" bela means pretty in Portuguese!

I bought a beautiful bella last year, I posted some pictures here, but now she is weak, loosing leaves all day, and I was reading that bella likes cool wheather! We are facing a very hot summer days, around 40 celcius, I think this is the reason why it is so stressed. I'll have to move this one to the farm where the temp is cooler.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

GG congratulations on the bella blooms! I was feeling the same way about my yellow Hoya heuschkeliana that is blooming now. I love its little blooms but because it's so common I thought I would pass on posting photos. Hoya lanceolata bella will always be one of of those Hoyas that I have labeled as difficult and my experience was just like yours, always finding my plant dried out and stressed enough to lure every bug around. I may have to consider this one on moss like was suggested a little while ago.

Mike

• debbie_ny
    13 years ago

How pretty......absolutely just darling! I think whenever any hoya blooms outside of a tropical setting that it's cause for celebration! A+++ work here! I noticed someone mentioned sp tanna island......does anyone have any tips on how to get this one to bloom? I have so much vine...grows like a weed...but no bloom!?!?!?! I've tried letting it go, cutting it back, etc...but nothing!

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aw you are all so sweet. It made me glow with happy blushes to have people to sincerely celebrate with. You put it so well, Debbie - any bloom outside of the tropics is a happy little occasion.

I'm glad others have had the same problem with keeping bella moist. I think I might have to move the Alsobia next to it and water the two of them every other day. I'm so tired of that Alsobia looking so raggedy whenever it gets dried out. It develops all these vines that are dry for a few segments and then green later on toward the ends. Argh.

I can't imagine trying to keep this one in Brazil - it does seem to me that it is much easier to keep happy in the winter than in the summer. Goodness... 40C... I think you just said the only thing that could possibly make me happy that our cold weather hasn't ended yet.

Let me know if you guys ever crack the sp. Tanna Island code. Every time I see Quinn's I feel so jealous of that exuberant growth. It really is so elegant even without blooms.

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Uh, I might have been the one to mention sp. Tanna Island. It hasn't bloomed for me either. It grows EVERYWHERE. If I don't keep tabs on it I will find it tangled in every other plant. Once I found it trying to take over the wall behind my picture frame. I haven't had it super long, maybe a year and a half now (?) so I'm hoping maybe it needs to mature more. We'll see. I think this one would be awesome with a huge trellis in front of a window. Right now I only have it on a hoop, wrapped around multiple times.

• sberg
    13 years ago

I hardly ever post here (just lurk), but I have to agree with everyone else on the incredibly annoying sp. Tanna Island....mine is probably 3-4 years old, grows like a maniac, and has nary a bud or bloom to its name...it's been outside on the deck in the summer, with warmth, humidity, natural sunlight and rainfall and, alternatively, it's been inside in the winter--cold, dry, dimly lit...and in both conditions it continues to grow all over the place and appears equally happy wherever it ends up...right now it's inside, tangling through an enormous H. pubicalyx next door and reaching halfway up the tall window, right against the icy cold glass....BUT, no matter where it is or what it's doing, it's NOT growing peduncles, buds, or flowers...not even a hint...Anyone (outside of Sweden) ever flower this one? And if so, HOW?? Thanks for any advice :)

• alavoneluvhoya
    13 years ago

your bella is beautiful!
    I bet the blooms smell wonderful! I am surprised to see my mini waxleaf hoya to bloom a 2nd time this winter season! I had a plant full of blooms this last summer of the same plant!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions