Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watsonak

Plants in Corpus Christie/San Antonio

Linda Watson
10 years ago

I will be traveling there in the middle of March - is there any place to get good hoyas there?

Comments (11)

• teisa
    10 years ago

I posted a reply under the house plant forum. I mostly collect Hoyas. And as I told you on HP Forum "Another Place in Time" was great in Houston. I actually only bought Hoyas there because I could only carry on about 3 plants on the plane. They were very reasonably priced and all still living a year later and doing great. They helped me box them for transport!! A plus when traveling. HTH!

They did not however, label ANY plant. So they had all the Hoyas together, but unless you could identify them.... clueless. I got a var. H. Kerrii, H. Cummingiana. Alot of others I couldn't identify. And the Kerrii bloomed very shortly after coming home.

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

I'm in San Antonio. I purchased three small hanging baskets from Lowe's garden center for $14.99 and $9.99. They were labeled, Carnosa, Wayettii, and Rubra.

Most of the Garden Centers that I went to did not have them in yet, but they said to check back in three weeks. The Garden Center (that's the name of it) on Bandera Rd. had a HUGE one, about four feet wide but they said it was for display only. It wasn't labeled.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Oh wow those are pretty! And next time please take a picture of the one on display we would love to see that for sure!

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Nice looking plants. :)

FYI:

That is indeed a Hoya wayettii (closest) and Hoya carnosa 'Rubra' (furthest), but the middle one appears to be a sp. DS-70.

A Hoya carnosa would look much like the Rubra (which is a cultivar of it), just with solid green leaves.

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Thanks, Teisa. I plan to return to the Garden Center in a few weeks, and I'll take a pic of the big Hoya on display.

Greedyghost, this is a closeup of the middle plant. I guess I read it wrong. Is it a DS-70 or a version of it? I'm still getting used to the different names. There are so many varieties. Thanks.

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Yep! That's a Hoya sp. DS-70, it's just mislabeled. You'll love it!! Blooms constantly and the flowers smell like fresh caramel and fill the whole room. One of my favorites.

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Thank for the good news. I can't wait to see and smell the blooms.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Yes I have the exact DS-70! Everyone needs one in there collection! The blooms smell wonderful. The first time it blooms, it will produce a nectar that taste just like honey suckle! I don't however taste mine now that I use insecticide 1-2 per year!!

But it's definately one that blooms better than Carnosa and a great find!

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Thanks, Teisa. A Honeysuckle smell would be great. I saw another post somewhere on here that showed way that the blooms appear on the vines. I had always seen pics of blooms in close up.... but I wondered where on the vines they would appear. It's sooo great that this forum is so informative. Is it harmful to taste the nectar if one does not use insecticide? (I know full well that it may be years before I see a bloom, lol.) Thanks for all the info.

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

Sunnysa, as a kid, I would regularly lick my mom's Hoya carnosa leaking blooms. The nectar was very sweet and delicious. Not sure about DS-70.

Flowers do not appear directly on the vine. Almost all species of Hoya flower in clusters on a stem (called peduncle) that grows off of the vine. A thinner stem that an individual bud/flower is attached to is called a pedicel. So, a flower grows on a pedicel, which ts attached to a peduncle, which grows from the stem. The attached pic is DS-70 that shows this well. The pic is not mine, taken from this forum actually. Google images of ds-70 and "hoya peduncle" in general to get more of an idea how this looks.

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Greentoe, I think I've got it. First, the peduncle and then look for the pedicel. It is all so interesting. Thanks, I really appreciate it. As soon as it stops raining, I'm going outside to inspect all my Hoyas.

I did not mean to stray off topic, so in keeping with the OP's post, I went to Millberger's locally and they only had the curly Hoyas. They were in small three-inch pots.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz