Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
millie411

Pitted leaves

millie411
12 years ago

I have a Bella Hoya, about 2 1/2 years old that I grew from clippings. Year before last, the wind blew it over and some of the stems broke and it looked pretty ragged for a while. At that time, the leaves were plump and shinny green. Now, they are sort of pitted as if it was wilting but it isn't. Is this from over-watering? I've tried feeling the soil before watering so that I avoided it. I love this beautiful and unique plant and I want to see it restored to it's original beauty. Thanks in advance for any help.

Millie411

Comments (4)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

If it looks like many tiny pin holes in the leaves I would suspect mites. Take close look at the leaves or try wiping them with alcohol and a tissue and see if you notice the reddish mites. If you do find mites then multiple water with dish soap sprays will help.

Mike

• millie411
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike, Thanks for replying to me. I'm probabaly not describing very well and I'm sorry; I've never posted on a forum like this before. The leaves do not have any holes in them. They used to be very plump...not flat. All of the leaves on my Bella Hoya are not this way but some are not flat...puffy like they should be but others are so flat that they look like they have been ironed flat....like there is no moisture in them. And no, the plant has never been allowed to get too dry....I put my finger into the soil to determine wet/dry condition. I have really babied this plant because I think it is so beautiful. I was searching for information on proper care when I found this site and took a chance to see what other users do. Thanks again. Joyce

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

It does sound like the leaves are dehydrated then, are they wrinkled at all? Are the leaves otherwise green or are they drying up and then dropping from the plant?

I would still check for mites as they love to attack this Hoya species. The mites are often too small to see with the naked eye but they will often leave a silvery sheen on the leaf which is they many tiny puncture marks. Of all difficulties I have faced with growing this Hoya mites have been the worst. This Hoya like moderate conditions so if it's near a heater etc it will not appreciate that, think cool and moist for this one.

If you have to you can easily start cuttings and create a backup plant in case this one declines further.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Mine usually looks like you describe when I forget to water it. It really takes an uncomfortable amount of time for the plant to start looking pretty again. I particularly have this problem just when it is just starting to bloom ('tis the season) and I haven't been keeping up with its extra needs.

As you've said the problem isn't underwatering, I have to wonder whether the problem might be overwatering. Root death leads to dehydration even if there is plenty of moisture in the soil. In that case, you'd want to clip off some of the ends and make a backup plant, as Mike suggests.

So, yeah, 1. check for mites, 2. check the roots. Clearly it's not getting what it needs. Good luck!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
More Discussions