Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

Philadelphia Flower Show: not a lot of Hoyas

greentoe357
10 years ago

Today was the first day, and I went. First time for me at this show, and even though I knew it was big, I was still surprised at how huge it was! Trying to look at every plant carefully was probably a mistake - my brain was shutting down after a few hours.

Cacti and succulents were very well represented, disproportionately perhaps - both in the exhibitions and among vendors for sale. I am not much of a C&S person, but if you are, consider going if you are in this part of the country.

There was a big number of orchids of all kinds, shapes and sizes - totally amazing.

Hoya display was underwhelming compared to some of these other plant families. It was a table (pictured) with 7-8 large (not huge) to mid-sized plants, plus one or two others elsewhere in the exhibit. NONE were in bud or bloom, which surprised me a lot. I did not think to look for peduncles, and none jumped at me readily. These plants may have all been purely foliage plants and may have never bloomed, which is a shame, I think.

There were a couple Dischidias though - not the most interesting representatives of the family, but one was in bloom.

Among the plants for sale, only ONE vendor had ONE kind of Hoya: small pots of carnosa, Krimson Princess I think. Pathetic, but very representative of the general level of Hoya popularity in the US. When I asked the nice vendor lady if they or anyone else there had other Hoya species for sale, she told me she did not know others existed. :-)

Part of me wants to have a Hoya Society in here to promote and raise awareness and whatnot, but then I think, hey, I have a marginal hobby, which makes for interesting conversations - why not keep it that way! :-)

Comments (11)

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But a few of these Hoyas were quite spectacular though. Here is a macrophylla. The photo doesn't do it justice. Think steaks growing on a vine - same size, same heft and seems like same thickness, too. Looked very cool.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This kerii was also a site to see. I did not know their leaves can get this big and thick.

• Denise
    10 years ago

Very nice. We have our local C&S show in June each year, and I'm the only one who enters Hoyas and Dischidias in the show. They have a class under the family Asclepiadaceae. They almost look out of place in a cactus show, but they are, technically, succulents since they are epiphytic.

I'm trying to figure out what kind won the blue ribbon. Did you happen to notice? Maybe a pubicalyx? The one next to it with the white ribbon looks almost identical in the photo...

Denise in Omaha

• vermonthoyas
    10 years ago

Greentoe, Thank you for posting the pictures from the Philadelphia Flower Show. I really enjoyed looking at them. There might not have been very many represented, but I liked how they were displayed. The macrophylla was particularly eye catching with the cool wire form that it was growing on. It seems like most times when I try to make sharp bends like that with a Hoya vine, it dies back and re-sprouts at the bend.

Doug

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, Denise, I didn't snap a picture of the blue ribbon plant or remember its name.

Doug, I thought the triangular wire must be a little harsh on the macrophylla and looked jarring and unnatural. The trellis did have a sort of architectural feel to it though, a bolder look than a round wire or a bamboo loop would create.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and here's an obovata for you. It was also very impressive.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting the great pictures greentoe!! Enjoyed looking at them :o)

• teisa
    10 years ago

Oh wow GT, I bet you were in amazement! I wold have been. Those are some very impressive Hoyas! I love the H. Macrophylla. And totally agree with Doug, that mine doesn't seem all that trainable! It grows large but I have many vines and shoots everywhere!

And of course, my new love H. Signillatis! That was a beauty! Thank you for sharing with us your trip! I was thrilled to see the pictures!!

• goddess9
    10 years ago

I just went to the Flower Show today, and I was definitely a little underwhelmed with the presence of Hoyas at the show, for sale or for show. There was H. carnosa in a display and those 4 Hoyas for show. I didn't see any Hoyas for sale, but I tried to get my plants and go after I was done with the show, LOL.

Anyone can submit their plant for judging, so I guess people in my area just need to start entering them! :)

I didn't see the sigilatis or the obovata. I saw a motoskei instead.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I think one of those was a motoskei. But looks like they halved the hoya display. When I was there, there wasn't just 4. there were about 8 hoyas on display - most of them on the table in my first picture, one or two were elsewhere. I only took individual pics of the most impressive ones, There was a curtisii which looked exactly like a big box H. curtisii would look. And I didn't photograph a plain carnosa - it was a healthy shiny plant, but you know, it's a carnosa. :-)

The only type of Hoya for sale I saw was H. carnosa Tricolor aka "Krimson Queen" - 3' or 4' pots for $4 or $5, with discounts if you buy any 3 plants in those small pots.

Sponsored