Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

where to find such plant labels?

greentoe357
10 years ago

I am looking for plant labels that are (ideally) all of the following:

* Laser-printable
* Water-proof
* Wrap-around the stem kind, not the stick into the soil kind.
* Self-sticky onto themselves (sort of like checked luggage handle tags at airports) or stapleable around plant stems (sort of like in the pictures here: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg0701593620758.html)
* Green color for minimum visibility among plants - I hate it when labels beg for attention, which they almost always do with the colors that are available. The color should be dark to blend in with the foliage, but not so dark that the laser printed text is invisible.

Where might one go about acquiring such a unicorn?

And even if no such exact thing exists, how do you accomplish hoya labels being unobtrusive, durable and convenient, out of the way but easily checkable at the same time? I suspect my local Staples might sooner have something that'll work, not my local garden center.

Comments (7)

• Jimmy
    10 years ago

Hi...I dont think they have came up with them yet??These metal ones last forever as they dont rust and,will remain readable for many years. http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Metal-Orchid-Tags-Plant-Pot-Labels-Garden-Markers-/270701516810#ht_457wt_902

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Eugene,

I've never seen any that aren't hand written, not sure they exist. Also, not possible to be unobtrusive if we wish to see it. I've never known anyone to even think about looking for that. Never heard of anyone considering these criteria. We WANT to see the tag & be able to read it. I doubt most folks feel this interferes aesthetically.

It seems to me the criteria you're raising are the opposite of what most of us want, we WANT to see it, maximum, not minimum visibility.

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

I think it's good to put some time into searching out the perfect plant label for you. We all like different things and if your collection is large, it turns into a big deal.

I've had a few false starts, and I definitely have some tags in my collection that I HATE with a passion, and need to replace. And this year I'm finally going to!

I'm in the process of stamping out tin ones and here are my reactions so far:

They're great to stick in a pot and have a permanent long-term label that you never have to worry about fading or getting lost. And they stand apart from other plant labels. But they're not the best for quickly reading the plant's ID. And they're time-consuming as all heck.

For readability, my FAVORITE tags (I'll have to go 100% this route eventually) are an idea I stole from Joni when she sent me one of her "mother" plants. She used one of those really heavy duty T-tags and put it inside the pot, so you could read the name through the transparent pot. Either she actually found some without stakes, or she'd cut the stake off super neatly. In those I create, I usually bend the stake under the dirt - then it stays neatly wedged in place, during re-pots. I used a "Garden Marker" pen and they have never faded and are always super easy to read. They're unobtrusive, in the same spot on every plant, and out of the way.

I did poke around and there are enough applications that I think you'll be able to find what you're looking for. I haven't seen a grower use what you describe, although I did receive cuttings once with printed, slightly laminated (probably 'water resistant' paper) labels that had just been staple looped onto the plant. Those have really held up over time, surprisingly, are really easy to read, and I like them a lot. I don't think they're what he uses on his own collection, though.

You will just have to look in more of an industrial setting - I'd be inclined to think you'd actually find it in the food industry, since those labels have to withstand harder conditions.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

> These metal ones last forever as they dont rust and,will remain readable for many years.

Interesting. They definitely can get plenty of water and sun with no fear of fading or disintegrating. My vinyl labels with garden pen writing are already fading, and I got cuttings with them only about 6 months ago.

> I've never seen any that aren't hand written, not sure they exist.

They do exist, PG. Check the link in my original message above.

> we WANT to see it, maximum, not minimum visibility.

I want the plant to jump at me, not the label. If I need to see the label, I'll find it. But I want to go looking for it. :-)

> [Joni] used one of those really heavy duty T-tags and put it inside the pot, so you could read the name through the transparent pot.

I'd love to see a pic of how this looks when you get around to it, GG. Doesn't the mix and roots get in front of the label over time and obscure the plant name?

> I did receive cuttings once with printed, slightly laminated (probably 'water resistant' paper) labels that had just been staple looped onto the plant.

Sounds like exactly the labels in the link in the original message above. I might just ask there if we don't find where they came from in this thread.

Meanwhile, I found something interesting (which may be exactly those labels). Check out "Rite-In-The-Rain Plant Labels" starting at about three screens down on this page: http://www.chulaorchids.com/html/plastic.html. The white color sort of kills me though. I wish they were grey or green or brown to blend in with the soil or the foliage.

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Re: My favorite labels

Here's a picture of one of my plants with the labels I like. No, I haven't had a problem with soil getting in front of them at all.

Re: Your Link above

Yeah, the Liddle labels really do stay in good shape for a while - I usually add my own labels and then leave those on anyway. I think the ones my trade-partner used were even better, though.

Re: Chula Rite-in-the-Rain

Yeah, I was thinking of that paper technology. It's the same stuff they use in Japan for waterproof bath flash cards, and I really like the material. The nice thing about it is it's really thin, but it's also really hard to tear. Even though they're white, I think thin small white tags, like the Liddle tags, end up blending in pretty well.

If dark color is really important, have you thought about maybe using those label-makers? The tape comes in all colors and is water-resistant. It doesn't stick well to planters long-term, but if you wrapped it around the vine and stuck it to itself, I think it would do well.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    9 years ago

> I haven't had a problem with soil getting in front of them at all.

Ah yes. A square pot. I assumed a round pot, which means there would be space between the label and the pot wall for the mix to get into and to obstruct the view. It does work well, I see.

> Even though they're white, I think thin small white tags, like the Liddle tags, end up blending in pretty well.

Yes, I thought about it as well - white labels would be OK if I can cut them to small/narrow enough size, so they are inconspicuous.

> have you thought about maybe using those label-makers?

I'd prefer a cheaper solution.

I stopped by Staples yesterday. These clear printable address labels (http://www.staples.com/Avery-Clear-Laser-Address-Labels-with-Easy-Peel/product_SS260281) seemed interesting. Just stick them onto the pot! Very inconspicuous! (But won't work with a dark pot and dark print.) I just hope the adhesive is strong enough, yet doesn't have this horrible death grip on the surface that makes it impossible to get off later.

Another possible way to use them: print only on the left or right half of the label, then close it around the vine and onto itself.

They also sell white address labels, perhaps better for light colored pots, or also to be closed around a stem onto themselves.

Looks like I'll end up with a couple kinds of labels all for different pots/plants.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Yeah, I guess you'll have to do a test run with the adhesive. I know Violet Barn uses little printable stickers and they stay on for-ev-er. But not all labels are going to stick well. And it kind of depends on the plastic of your container. The smooth glossy pots hold stickers better than the rougher matte ones. Some things you can really only learn by trial and error.

I personally like having the name on the pot better. I don't mind how labels look on the plant, but when you have your plants grouped as thickly as I do, it can be confusing which label goes with which plant, and I find it easiest to just trace the vine I'm looking at down to the pot for its name.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994