Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_sword

Hoya subcalva flowers...smells like grape juice

Finally opened this morning!! Not really strong smell this morning but maybe tonight. Only 4 buds survived, but I am very happy to see the 4 flowers.

Comments (21)

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Congrats Jan! Thanks for sharing the photos. Do you have a picture of the whole plant? I'm just wondering how big this one needs to be before flowering. I have 2 small ones (and they are both very different...in terms of foliage and growth pattern), and they are both growing soooo slow. Hopefully they'll speed up this Spring.

Again, gorgeous pics!
    Gabi

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Gabi, thanks!
    Here is a picture of whole plant in a 4" pot and flower picture without a flash. Are the white spots on the flower stem looks like a mealy bugs? yikes!

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Jan
    Very nice plant, grape is my favorite. How long have you had subcalva? Has it grown much since you got it?

shanna

• PRO
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Shanna, thanks. I've had this plant for about 1.5-2 years. It's grown some but it's not fast grower. The buds seem took ever to open up.
    Jan

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Thanks Jan - gorgeous plant.

Yes, it does look like there are some mealies on that peduncle. That's an old peduncle (has flowered many times before) - has it bloomed before for you or did the plant come with the peduncle from wherever you got it? Lucky you. I love when I get surprised like that!

Gabi

• PRO
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got the plant with peduncle but it's flowering for me for the first time. I better give this plant a systemic drink.
    Jan

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Make sure you get rid of the mealies on the peduncle with rubbing alcohol...I don't think systemics reach those parts of the hoya.

I bet you'll be inhaling the scent of grape juice all night. I'm so jealous! I might just have to sleep with a glass of Welch's on my night stand so that I can pretend my subcalva is blooming...Ha!

Gabi

• PRO
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ha ha ha, that is really funny Gabi but workable. LOL
    I sprayed alcohl on the peduncle... I am being careful not to blast the flowers, I love this plant.
    Jan

• tammypie
    16 years ago

Ooooooo.. how lovely! I must add subcalva to my growing hoya collection! TammyPie

• haxuan
    16 years ago

An off-topic question Gabi: What is "rubbing alcohol"? Is it the stuff you use to "clean" your skin when you have a wound/bruise? and like before an injection?
    I want to use it but don't know what it is!!!
    Thank you.

Xuan

• PRO
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Xuan, I am not Gabi but yes that is it. Just don't use in full sun, it will burn the leaves.
    Jan

• haxuan
    16 years ago

Thanks, Jan. Now I know it :-)

Xuan (pronounced S-W-A-N)

• elizzy
    16 years ago

Question: I use fresh squeezed lemon juice to clean the leaves of my orhids at least once a year. Would lemon juice also work against the mealy bugs on Hoyas?

• gabro14
    16 years ago

I just got H. australis X subcalva (cross between the 2), and it's in bud!!!!! YAY! Both of those hoyas smell delicious, so I'm curious to see what the combo smells like!

Gabi

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Gabi
    Congrats on your buds. Please post a pic when it blooms

• ines_99
    16 years ago

I love the little ants on the flowers. One place I lived I had a pubicalyx hanging in a patio door and the ants always found a way inside when that plant was blooming.

• fragrantgarden99
    10 years ago

Hi Gabe
    Where did you purchase your h. Australis X h. Subculva?
    Thanks.
    Fg

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Wow!! This thread is 6 years old!! I haven't seen Gabi post in several years...

Below is a link for SRQ Hoyas...I think? she has the regular Subcalva available...call or email her, she might know someone that has the cross?

Here is a link that might be useful: SRQ Hoyas...Subcalva

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

The name for this cross is 'Pinkie" and it can be found on the SRQ site here.

Anyway, you might be able to track it down more easily using this search term. Good luck!

• teisa
    10 years ago

I didn't know this cross even existed!! I love my Subcalva! And if it bloomed as much as Australis then that would be a perfect Hoya! Wow thanks ladies for posting this!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions