Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickster257

Need help with Hoya Megalaster

vickster257
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have had a cutting of the aforementioned plant for a year now. It arrived with two leaves and is growing quite well. Since then one additional leaf is on the plant. Does anyone have experience with this particular variety? Perhaps my question should be directed to David Liddle but his plants are grown in a different environment than mine here in NJ. (This plant was mailed to me from his stock) My other hoyas generate new leaves very often so this is quite a challenge to grow this plant. I am wondering if it is just a slow grower. It is close to a glass window in a southern exposure with other hoyas.

It will be taken to Florida within a few months as I purchased it as a gift for a family member. Should it be re-rooted, would that help at all. I am open to any recommendations from you.

Vicki

Comments (7)

• canttype
    18 years ago

Hi Vicki

I think your plant is just fine. Some Hoyas are just slow to get started. I have a Publcalix which I got in a trade 2 1/2 years ago and it's just this past summer that it started to send out vines and leaves....I too was wondering if it would do anything but it seems this one needed some time....maybe to establish a good root system?

I don't grow this variety so maybe someone else may have a better idea of whats going on with your Hoya ...But I think in time it will take off for you:-)

Diane

• acsagapeplants
    18 years ago

I have found that my Megalasters are slow growers especially during the winter. However we've had a warm winter and both have grown several leaves. It sounds like yours is doing well.

• vickster257
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Do you feed the megalaster all winter or wait until the spring and what do you feed your hoyas? This question is directed to anyone who has the H. megalaster and to the person who responded from Arizona.

Thank you.

Vicki

• pirate_girl
    18 years ago

Hi Vickster,

While I don't have Megalaster, I DO have plenty of other Hoyas. I'd suggest against fertlizing them in witner, esp. if it's a slow growing Hoyas as you say yrs. is.

I've only just started to fertilize a couple of my Hoyas which have put out a lot of new growth lately. I'd say you can use anything really, excep a Blooombuster (middle # usually double the other 2 #s, save that for summer's very active growth).

I've used some Miracle Grow that I had around, but basically I tend to prefer balanced fertilizer (20-20-20) Peters or Schultz, I haven't found brands to matter much.

• Denise
    18 years ago

Vicki,

I don't grow megalaster, but it's been my experience that Hoyas don't grow much until their root system is pretty mature. In fact, some won't really take off until they are relatively potbound. So keep it in the smallest pot possible until it gets potbound, and then move it up after it's put on quite a bit of new growth. I would probably start fertilizing about now, but I would actually probably say DO use a bloom booster, only because a bloom booster is a good root stimulator also. Once the roots are established, bloom boosters should be used only during the most active growth.

Denise in Omaha

• vickster257
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to those of you with your help thus far.

I just recently used a diluted solution of 15-30-15. Also, I have placed two pots of plants with a limited nbr. of leaves next to my miniature terrarium and the stem is enclosed with the lid partially open a wee bit. My intention is to encourage roots along the stem and perhaps re-root for propagation purposes. I have never tried this method but hopefully, it will work soon.

The flowers on this H. megalaster look so pretty in photographs that I am anxious to see them, but definitely need MORE LEAVES.

Does anyone have a photo of a blooming H. megalaster to show us?

Vicki

• acsagapeplants
    18 years ago

I grow some of my hoyas under grow lights all winter; megalaster was one of them. I misted with Eleanor's VF-11 and also watered with a weak solution of it during the winter. HTH!