Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Are these ready for larger pots?

Oakley
14 years ago

I got these about three weeks ago, they're in the original 2 inch pots. I looked at the bottom of the plants and they don't seem pot/root bound.

Should I up them to 4 inch pots?

Idiot me accidentally knocked off a 4 inch branch on the one on the right.

{{gwi:936048}}

Comments (12)

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

How long does it take for the potting mix to start to dry out after you water? I would wait until there is a good root system in the small pots before moving up a size. If you water and a day or two later the potting mix is drying that is a good sign that the plant has an extensive root system. You can go up a size but the cutting will more likley than not appear to just sit there as the roots grow vs the plant itself sending out a new vine. I usually start my cuttings in 4" pots unless they are small growing species.

Mike

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

No, absolutely DON'T pot them up, they simply don't need it & some folks feel that will slow them from blooming considerably. Common lore on Hoyas is they need to be potbound before blooming.

When you see roots coming out the bottom, then it's time to pot them up. If they were mine I'd leave them in those pots for at least a year or two.

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Like Mike I start my cuttings in 4 in. pots, usually the shallow ones for small cutting. Deeper pots for the bigger cuttings. Depends on the Hoya really. I like Mike want to establish a good strong root system, then the vine.
    You mention looking at the bottom of the pots.....did you actually tip the plant out of the pot to check the roots? I find that's the best way to see whats going on, when diagnosing root issues. If and only if there are roots filling those pots would I repot into 4 in pots. Pot up one size only at a time.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice! The plants dry out every few days but there's a heater vent on the ceiling which contributes to it. I keep a good eye on them though.

Mike, I'm confused. If the two inch pot is the best for now, why do you plant your cuttings in a 4 inch pot?

Lady, I'll take the plants out of the pots tomorrow and check the roots.

About light. Everything I read seems to be contradictive. Lots of sunlight, indirect light with no direct sunlight, etc.

I'm supposing each Hoya species requires different light?

They're in the only windowsill that gets direct sunlight, (south) and with Spring/Summer coming, there won't be any direct sun, but bright light. Is that okay?

Forgive me, I'm a novice full of questions! lol

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

If that plant to the left is a bella.....I would be careful about the heat on it. Bella's like cooler temps. Is the third one a publicalx? Pretty carefree for the most part. Bright filtered light is what I hear most give their plants.
    We all start out as novices. I have learned from the fine folks here many tips and tricks for growing my Hoya's. And have tweeked them to work for me. And what works for me, may not work for the next person. Different zones and climates and how we grow them....IE, in our homes,Florida rooms, or greenhouses produces different results.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Two inch pots are good for now because that is what your cuttings came in but four inch pots allow you to leave the cutting to establish and grow much longer than smaller pots. Many cuttings of the medium to large growing Hoyas will quickly establish a large root system in a four inch pot and need to be moved up to a six inch pot within a year or less. I aim for six inch pots to be the goal for most of my plants but there are also many small Hoya species that will do fine in a four inch pot or smaller through their lives.
    Hoyas come from a large range of habitats so it is best to research their care on the species to species basis. Most Hoyas are fairly easy to grow but there are some that like moderate temperatures and will do poorly in areas with long hot summers while others like full sun instead of shade.

Check out Stemma Journal a free online Hoya magazine that discusses Hoya culture as well as species classification, this is a fantastic resource and magazines are available under the downloads link. Check out the Hoyas link on the Stemma site for a photo gallery full of gorgeous plants and blooms.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Syemma Journal

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike, is it okay to go ahead and put them in 4" pots now? The reason for doing so is because they dry out so fast. They're not directly under the heat vent, and I'll probably move them to get them out of the direct sunlight.

Lady, yes the plant on the left is a Bella. The other two are a multi-flora and a silver pink.

Again, I want to thank you all for being here for me. I used to have a green thumb for houseplants in my 20s and could grow anything, including Hoyas. Now I'm starting over with many plants and I suddenly became obsessed. lol

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Hey, Oakley!
    I'm mostly a reader at this Forum, but I have some experience with Hoyas.
    I think it would be fine to put them in the 4" pots...

My large, established Hoyas are in 12"-14" hanging pots.

Once the weather is warm, I hang my Hoyas in maple trees outside, so that they receive filtered sun.

Josh

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Josh! Oh, I bet those Hoya's are beautiful hanging from Maple trees!

I did transpant one this morning into a 4" pot. It wasn't rootbound, but at least it will hold moisture a bit longer.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

If the potting mix is drying out too fast I would pot them up a size. I can see the heat vent causing problems in the future if the air is particularly dry. I have a room full of plants and it only reads 34% humidity this time of year unless I use a humidifier so your cuttings are probably experiencing low humidity. Hoya multiflora likes to stay moist so keep an eye on that one so it does not become too dry. Like Ladygreensleves mentioned Hoya lanceolata bella is not easy to grow where it is hot because it comes from higher altitudes in the Himalayas and grows in cool moist conditions. Hoya pubiclax 'Silver Pink' is easy to grow and can put up with just about any conditions but it likes bright light.

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Good work, Oakley!
    I hope you don't my posting this pic from last summer...
    Pink Silver, which we have in common. It actually had to be moved lower in the tree because the morning sun was blasting the leaves.

{{gwi:107251}}

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Josh, that is a beautiful plant! Aren't they just amazing? You definitely have a knack for Hoyas. :)

Mike, we're just a couple of short weeks away from extreme humidity..I'm in OK where we get the gulf coast air. And soon the A/C will be on so the room will be nice and cool. Actually it's cool now, I keep the heat at about 65, and since the weather is warming up, it doesn't come on that much.

The other plants in the room don't dry out as much but that's because they're bigger.

I finally got around to cleaning off my counter in the utility room where I keep most of my plants. I can control the light with the shutters.

Here's a picture I took today. But for some reason, my camera makes things appear much smaller. The counter is 6' long, but it looks puny in this picture! All the plants look tiny in the picture too. I need to get the instruction book out. :)

Tomorrow I work on the African Violets. I just want to sit down! lol

{{gwi:78330}}

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks