Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

Please help ID my 'jungle' NOIDs

haxuan
15 years ago

Now that some of my 'jungle' NOIDs have finally bloomed, I would like to ask for your help to ID them.

Hoya #1. This one has big leaves (similar to H. Latifolia) and the bloom is here.

From Tuysonvien - Where I Garden

Hoya #2. The bloom.

and the leaf:

Hoya #3. This one has blooms that look like those of Krimson Queen (pinkish color), but no variegated leaf.

Thank you for your inputs.

Xuan

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Wow! gorgeous!!! great photos!!
    Third one might be plain carnosa, first one looks like lambii(I've read lambii flowers only last 24 hours) but no idea on the second flowers.

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Beautiful blooms Xuan!

I am not sure just what you have but I can guess. #1 could be Hoya pentaphlebia. I don't think it is Hoya lambii but if it is your plant will have thin leaves that have soft hairy undersides with dark purple veins.

#2 has fantastic leaves but I don't have a clue what Hoya sp. it is. Let us know if the blooms become reflexed or if they stay flat as that will help with getting an ID.

Mike

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Xaun I found this reference to the Hoya species found in Vietnam and Laos. Hoya pentaphlebia is not listed there so I may be way off but perhaps this list will help up come closer to an ID for your plants.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoyas in Vietnam and Laos

• golden_ca_2000
    15 years ago

Wow - I cant help you on identification - but I wanted to compliment you on such lovely hoyas! Great growing! Golden

• Denise
    15 years ago

Great flowers, Xuan! #2's leaves look like my purpreo-fusca, though mine hasn't bloomed yet. When I look up the flower, it does look similar, though I'm not real good at seeing the tiny variations from flower to flower. Here's a link to the photo I found.

Denise in Omaha

Here is a link that might be useful: H. purpureo-fusca flower

• haxuan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It could be purpureofusca, Denise. The difference in color could be due to photography expertise but the bloom does look similar. Thanks for the ID.

Would anyone agree #1 could be Hoya Latifolia?

Jan, the leaves of #3 are rounder and much thicker than those of plain Carnosa. At first I thought it was Krinkle Eight... but the "pimples" are not that deep.

Xuan

Xuan

• kellyknits
    15 years ago

All are simply gorgeous!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

I wonder if the plants were collected in Vietnam or perhaps elseware? Most of the Hoyas we have suggested do not occur naturally in Vietnam. There are still many Hoyas that are not in cultivation and others that are not often seen so that makes it much more difficult to ID some plants. Xuan can you post a photo of the leaves of Hoya #1, maybe that will help us, don't think it is Hoya latifolia. Sometimes you just end up having to name a plant Hoya sp Vietnam because nothing fits quite right. I wonder if you have a local university where one of the Botany students or instructors could help identify your Hoyas, check out the link I provided.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Vietnam National University Herbarium

• Denise
    15 years ago

Xuan,

My latifolia hasn't bloomed yet, but it looks a lot like the photos I've seen of latifolia blooms. I can't see #3s leaves real clearly, but they look like they may be heart-shaped. If so, maybe it's 'Chelsea'?? It's a cv. of carnosa. I've got that one and the leaves are rounder (with an almost heart-shape) and a little more succulent than the standard carnosa. I figure when it blooms, it's likely to be a close match to carnosa since it's a cv.

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Xuan, Very, very Nice!! Although I can't help you with the ID, just wanted to let you know how pretty the blooms are!

• haxuan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike, thanks very much for the link. I will check it out.
    One thing I can be sure of... all these hoyas were collected from the central and southern jungles of Vietnam by 'non-commercial/non-botanical' people.

Hoya #1 was collected last summer by a friend in the central of Vietnam, and the other two were collected in other areas down South.

Here's a photo of plant #1 when I first got it last year which showed off the leaf very clearly.

{{gwi:936188}}

And here's another 'jungle' NOID in bloom. This one I collected myself last year from a pine tree near my place. (I posted here as "My monster hoya"). It has now rebloomed.

{{gwi:936189}}

{{gwi:936190}}

Thanks everyone for looking and helping me ID. I hope you don't mind my showing you more of my jungle NOIDs when they bloom later.

Xuan

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Those are very nice leaves, still not sure if it could be Hoya latifolia. When I think of Hoya latifolia I think of large thick leaves more like Hoya polystachya or macrophylla, then again I also think that there are many misnamed plants out there on the internet so it's hard to know who is right. Some sources list Hoya latifolia and Hoya loyceandrewsiana as being the same plant and they look nothing alike. Hoya latifolia is said to be from Borneo so it also does not come from the area your plants were collected.
    I think that you probably have a Hoya species that we are not familiar with which makes it much more exciting. If you do contact someone at the university please let us know the outcome.

Now I have to ask, beyond having very attractive leaves does your Hoya #1 have scented flowers? I for one will never get tired of your Hoya photos, I just love seeing what your plants turn out to be.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Epiforums Hoya latifolia IML 0088 from David Liddle

• haxuan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike, #1 smells sweet, as other hoyas, in the evening. I cannot detect the difference among them, except for DS70 which doesn't smell very nicely. All my hoyas fill my little home with a lovely scent in the evening nowadays.
    If I have any info re these hoyas I'll certainly share with you guys.

Denise, here's a better photo of #3 with its leaves clearly visible. Could it be Chelsea? What do you think?

{{gwi:936192}}

Many thanks.

Xuan

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Oh another side note about the carnosa variety, apparently Hoya minima is a variety of Hoya carnosa with smaller leaves and a more compact growth habit and is found in Vietnam. I am not too sure just what Hoya minima looks like other than that description but perhaps that is what Hoya #3 is. I do have Hoya carnosa 'Chelsea' and it's leaves are very similar to your plants but the leaf tips are not nearly as pointed as on your plants and there are more dimples or indentations in the leaf surface. Either way you have a variety of Hoya carnosa but I am interested to hear what Denise has to say about the comparison of your plant to her Hoya carnosa 'Chelsea' because my plant is still fairly young so I am not all that familiar with the variety of leaf shapes that it can exhibit.

Mike

• Denise
    15 years ago

Xuan,

It's pretty darn close to my 'Chelsea'. Here's a photo of mine right after I got it (ignore that homely new leaf - it came in a little weird and I whacked it off!)

As Mike said, your tips seem a bit more "extended" than my Chelsea, but the leaves do vary a bit, and you know how it is from clone to clone.

It's a beauty, nonetheless!

Denise in Omaha

• haxuan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks, Denise. Let's just "pretend" it's Chelsea...LOL! I like the name. One more tag needed to be made.

Xuan

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hi Xuan,

Thanks for posting pictures of your Chelsea blooms, I've been looking for what the blooms look like on the internet and they are very rare... My DH just bought me a "Chelsea" from ebay a few days ago. I just LOVE the leaves!!

Here's a picture of it...looks like yours and Denise's?

• haxuan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, it does look alike, Pug. Congrats on the new plant!
    The blooms on Chelsea is, like its leaves, more "succulent", bigger, more pinkish than those on plain carnosa. They smell the same, though.

I still have #4 above (post before that of Mike's), unsolved. People, could you please take a look at #4 again for me. Any hints?

Thank you very much.

Xuan

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Xuan all I can say about Hoya #4 is that it is related to Hoya pottsii. There is a chance you could have Hoya pottsii because it grows over a huge area and it varies in leaf form and flower colour, there are also many closely related species that look somewhat alike so that ID is a guess at best. You could label the plant something like Hoya sp. aff. pottsii Vietnam.

Mike

• golden_ca_2000
    15 years ago

Pug, That is one healthy looking plant! Good buy!
    Golden

• haxuan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Mike. At least there's a name for it. I will label it as such.

Xuan

• kenandbea
    15 years ago

Xuan... your plants are just lovely. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Your Monster hoya has leaves that look a lot like H. vitellina. They are large, heart shaped and have the brown edge on them. Mine has not bloomed yet so I looked around to see other blooms. The color of the bloom is a different. It is only a guess on my part but might help you decide if you have a chance to compare it to another one.

Bea

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Thanks Xuan and Golden!

Xuan, I meant to ask you how long have you had H. Chelsea? Just curious...so I have some idea how long I will have to wait for blooms,lol...Thanks!

• haxuan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pug, I got my Chelsea last summer, so roughly a year. Most of my jungle cuttings get to bloom roughtly after a year.

Bea, yes... for sometime, I though my "monster" hoya was Vitellina. In fact, I tentatively tagged it as H. vitellina, but because the color of the blooms look different so I withdrew the name. It's really 'confusing', isn't it? I will continue searching, though.

Xuan

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor