Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

What is this?

puglvr1
14 years ago

I received this cutting in a trade as a NOID...any guesses?

Leaves are very narrow appx. 1/2" wide...vary in length from 2"-3" long.

Thanks!!

{{gwi:936275}}
Close-up

{{gwi:936276}}

Comments (9)

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

That is one beautiful Hoya but I am not at all sure what it could be. One thing to look for while trying to narrow it down is that the leaves are narrow towards the base/leaf petiole with only the midrib visible and with a pointed drip tip on the leaf. My first guess would be Hoya buotii but the leaf is too narrow towards the base so it must be something else but a surprise is always fun to.

Mike

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Pug I was looking at some Hoya photos because I have been toying with the idea of getting one of the large yellow or green flowered species when I came a cross a possible match for your plant. The midrib is prominent but there is some netted veining visible on the leaf as well which matches with your plants leaves, the base of the leaf is also quite similar. My second guess is Hoya chlorantha in which case I would say you lucked out with that trade.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya chlorantha on Simones Hoyas

• cpawl
    14 years ago

I was going to say H chlorantha but mike said it first.It looks like mine.Mine is just small cutting but I really like this one.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

My first guess would have been buotii as well. Can see the chlorantha possibility though!

It's very pretty!
    Kelly

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks you guys!!

I think you guys might be right about it being chlorantha, certainly a very close resemblance to mine...especially since Cindy has one. I don't have buotti so I have no idea what the leaves on that one looks like either.

Thanks for the link Mike...I especially love yellow blooms...so it would be great if that is what it ends up being. I didn't have a clue and didn't even know where to begin looking. Thanks for doing the research!

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi Pug,
    I'm a little late but just wanted to jump in here. . .

I have chlorantha that I got last summer from SRQ hoyas. It's a fast grower, but it grows kind of unruley. Mine has long arching stems and the leaves form at the ends, as you can see in the picture. I'm not quite sure how I want to train this one yet. . . it's not one of my favs, but maybe if it flowers for me I will change my mind.

Yours is a pretty lil guy. . .

H. chlorantha
    {{gwi:936277}}

heres a close-up . . .

{{gwi:936278}}

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Maid, thank you for posting that picture, that's a nice size. It really looks like that is my NOID. I know what you mean about it being unruly...def. a trellis or hoop candidate. That is basically what I'm trying to do with my little cutting, looping it around(I have a very small wire on there now. I can see later as it grows I'm going to have to get a bigger one.

Yours certainly looks mature enough to bloom...please keep us posted when it does. Thanks again for the pic!

• wrynsmom
    14 years ago

OMG! Is that the one you got from me? If so, I have one of the cuttings growing on a topiary from Hobby Lobby. Looks pretty cool.

Take care,

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes Carolyn, So now we both have the correct ID. It is doing well so far...thank you!!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County