Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hong2007

hong2007
14 years ago

Hi Im new to this forum, Im usually hang out in Brugmansia forum. I never knew anything about Hoya until couple weeks ago. Can someone in here tell me which Hoya bloom often and have fragrance and easy to grow for beginner like me?

Thanks

Comments (15)

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Hi Hong and welcome to the forum.
    Many Hoyas are fragrant but I think the best all around beginner Hoya for growth and fragrance is one the many Hoya pubicalax varieties. This species has attractive leaves, large flowers and a great scent but if you start from a cutting it can take as long as two years to see blooms so if you want blooms soon I would recommend getting an established plant.

Mike

• hong2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Mike for the advise. Where would be a good source to purchase this plant? i have never see it here in home depot or even local nursery.

• k0okie
    14 years ago

I think that Lacunosa might be a good one too. It seemed to bloom quite quickly for me and fairly regularly as well. I've never seen it for sale in a store though. The only ones I've seen in stores are Carnosa varieties, and while beautiful they can take a long time to bloom.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Hi Hong,

Hoyas don't really work like that. One can't count on any really that are both easy & quick to bloom. I've been growing them for around 10 yrs. & rarely have bloom. Have had most blooms on new cuttings from friends or swaps w/ them.

Don't wish to disappoint you, but we sometimes suggest that folks should grow Hoyas for their foliage 'cause it can be quite varied & beautiful & is not the crap shoot that blooming can be.

Just so you know, we wouldn't wish you to have high expectations & then be disappointed.

• hong2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all your advise. What can I said, I am young and impatient, but I will give it a try. I just purchase two from an ebay seller. Wish me luck. I am glad I got in a such friendly forum like the Brugmasia, the ladies over that forum are very helpful and very nice too.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Hong, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new hoyas from Ebay.

I would keep checking the big box stores also...I got this Lacunosa(mixed pot of snow caps and regular) from Walmart last year and its blooming for the second time for me. Its a large plant when I got it 8" basket and it was only $10...HD and Lowe's also sells them but they are closer to $15 or more. Lately, my Walmart hasn't carried any hoyas...not sure if they discontinued them or not?

{{gwi:936300}}

{{gwi:936301}}

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

WOW Pug is that a STUNNING Plant!! I wish our walmart carried hoyas WOW! Beautiful! I bought a small plant from Pike lake - very nice small plant - but I hope to have it look like that one day - that would be awesome!

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Gardinos and SRQ Hoyas are US vendors that I hear mentioned often by forum members. Once you get really interested in Hoyas you will find yourself hunting down the harder to find species but there are many that are commonly available in specialty nurseries in the US.
    If you have any questions about your plants when they arrive just let us know. Did you get cuttings or established plants?

Mike

• hong2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Puglvr1, your plant is beautiful. I hope I can get my to look like that once I get my order in. I will need a lot of instruction from everybody in this forum of how to take care a Hoya.
    Mike, I don't know how big the plant is, all the seller in ebay stated was that the plant will come in a 4" pot. His ebay name is cowboyflowerman, he has good rating so I hope he will send me plants not cutting. I will keep my finger cross.

• k0okie
    14 years ago

I wish we could find plants like that in our Canadian big box stores... :(

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Howdy Hong, and welcome to the hoya forum.

Cowboyflowerman is a good e-bay seller. They have good plants at a resonable price. I have ordered from them a couple of times and had good luck.

Which hoyas did you order? Most of their plants are fairly common, so I'm sure you will get lots of good advice here on how to grow them.

Pretty Lucanosa Pug, mine from you is struggling but hopefully it will survive.

Maid~

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Lately, our big box stores have been very sparse as far as hoyas go. Luckily, right now I have all the EA hoyas I need. Most of what EA has been sending here in my area have been Ivy's which I don't care for.

Maid, sorry to hear that...I hope it will recover when the weather warms up. Keeping fingers crossed. My CC from you is doing very well I'm happy to report.

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

Welcome to the hoya forum, hong!

As a newbie myself, the only hoya I have that has bloomed is lacunosa. The other plants I have contain peduncles (where the flowers come from) that haven't bloomed yet or are too young to flower. In fact, my lacunosa is blooming right now. It's opened it's second flower cluster and smells great!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• hong2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Maid, good to know you have good experience with this ebay seller. I got the tricolor, and Lucanosa. I will sure need advise from all of you, and thank you again for be such a friendly and helpful group.

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

nice, very nice plants, and what a great price. I would sell my left arm for that one for 10 bucks. Oh Kookie I know what you mean.

Stacey

Sponsored