Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Anyone growing Hoya relative Dregea

mdahms1979
12 years ago

Is anyone growing plants from the genus Dregea? I am going to take a shot at growing Dregea sinensis but would love to hear from anyone else who has grown it. This plant will be hardy in the ground in many areas of the US although I am going to have to investigate the possibilities that it may easily spread from seed. No one wants an invasive plant no matter how beautiful it is.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: A Flickr photo members photo of Dregea sinensis

Comments (9)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Wow, those are very cool. I am unfamiliar but very interested in how it goes for you. It is a bit strange that more of us don't explore other Hoya relatives. Glad you're forming an advance party.

I'm partial to green flowers, so the volubilis is speaking to me!

• cpawl
    12 years ago

I want to grow this in my yard, so Mike let me know what you find out.My zone is a lot warmer in the winter so maybe??

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There are some really interesting species but I have only been able to get a hold of Dregea sinensis seeds. I sure hope this plant is relatively well behaved and that it does ok with a forced winter dormancy.

Mike

• Aggie2
    12 years ago

Keep us posted Mike,
    I never heard about it but it looks really nice. I wonder if it would survive south Florida weather...

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aggrie it's almost hardy here in southern Ontario Canada. I think it's zone 7b and warmer but you would be able to keep it evergreen in your location.
    I'm pretty sure Georgia Vines has this and Matelea sp seeds for sale.

Mike

• Aggie2
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike,

Will check, although I'm not very good with seeds... For now trying to keep alive whole bunch of Solanum macranthum seedlings, and thinking what to do when giant seed pod on my Stephanotis floribunda is ready... It's been there for more than 6 month now, looks like small green mango, just one on my 6 feet tall vine, but very interesting to see.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy I completely missed your message.
    I will send you a seedling if I am successful, once it's hardened off enough to travel across the country. Or maybe if they are easy from seed I will just send seed as it's far less expensive. We were gonna do that swap anyways. The Dregea should do fine for you in the ground as it should come back from the roots for me here, still gonna keep a backup inside though.

I also have Matelea decipiens seed, another Hoya relative but this time a North American native. I figure that this will do well in my sisters shade garden so it's worth a try.

Aggie I used to be very much into the Solanaceous plants. I did not grow the one you mentioned but Solanum quitoense is one of my favorites. Also Brugmansia and Datura are wonderful garden and patio plants.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Matelea decipiens info

• cpawl
    12 years ago

I kind of figured that you might of missed my post.We posted at the same time.Thanks for the offer,I would love to have this in my garden.Yes we are going to do a trade later this spring but I can't remember for what.LOL

Cindy

• PerrenialGirl
    12 years ago

I did buy a seedling last year but lost it. It looks like I'll have to find my seeds.