Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

How social are you?

greedygh0st
12 years ago

There are multiple discussion forums available for Hoya related conversation, and although I am not intimately familiar with them all, I have to believe they each have their individual strengths (otherwise they'd cease to exist). So, I'm NOT inviting a X is better than Y debate. But we're not that kind of group anyway, are we? :)

I AM curious about this other thing. How do you conduct yourself in the larger Hoya scene? Are you a gaddabout, dabbling in multiple forums? If so, can you offer some insight into the different strengths and personalities of each?

Or are you a homebody, who feels comfortable at GardenWeb, with the group of friends and acquaintances you've built up here (yes, we are pretty awesome) and you don't have the time or interest to participate in other groups?

What do you think are the characteristics of an ideal Hoya forum?

Comments (11)

• Ren_Flowers
    12 years ago

I'm totally new to Hoyas (yet totally in love :D ), so this is my first Hoya forum! I was actually wondering if there were any communities that traded Hoya starts. Though that would require a lot of trust!

I really think, the more people come together in a forum, the better. So ideally a forum would be bustling with people (preferably some what experienced or knowledgeable). However, I've heard that Hoyas are not very well known (as wonderful as they are!)

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

Ren_Flowers:

I am a member of another forum, and right now they are organizing a spring swap. If you're interested, come check it out. (Hope this is kosher!)

GG: I consider myself to be quite social, as I am a member of a few forums...Three. Two I participate on regularly.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://cubits.org/Hoya/thread/view/67341/

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

I'm also a member of another forum, cubits.org, same as Laura.

And I also participate of others forum(s)??? on several subjects, including technology, which is my other love!!!

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You guys are such sweeties.

Idk whether if its against the rules to talk about outside groups here, but the question was innocently enough poised. I don't really participate in any other forums, but I browse/lurk many and I am participating in the spring swap if I can get my list together in the next couple days! O_O /panic

/Ren You probably already know this but there is an exchange forum here. The link is on the main page. There is a lot of trading that goes on in this group, although, as you point out trust is an issue. In my experience more trading happens once people have gotten to know you and then they approach you whether you post in the exchange forum or not. :) And that's nice.

Mitzi, I love that you're a techie. I cannot quite grasp that brass ring, but I know enough to find techies very engaging!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

There are some great Hoya forums out there but I find that I just don't have the time to be active on more than one. I have been on Gardenweb for a long time so I choose to be active here.
    Cubits and Thailand Hoya Club are interesting places to visit and it's great to see the photos that others post on those forums.

Mike

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Thailand Hoya Club and others from Thailand are fabulous due to the photos, they have numerous hoyas that I never saw before, each day they appear with more and more new species or clones I don't really know!

The only bad thing is that as much as you know as much as you want the new ones!

Mitzi

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Well, I didn't know there were other English language forums. So thanks for this thread! I'll be looking around now. lol

Renee

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad to hear many are enjoying Thailand Hoya Club. I've never seriously browsed that forum because it seemed like anyone who was growing Hoyas while living in (one of) their native homeland(s), was, like, the grad student, to my elementary school student. That sounds a bit crazy now that I say it out loud, but you know how it is. You have to learn and grow in chunks.

Glad to hear this thread promoted some awareness of what's out there. The more Hoya people intermix the stronger our greater community becomes and the closer we all get to getting to knowing every. Hoya. ever.

• tammypie
    12 years ago

I stay on this forum. Other than that, I keep to myself.

• lightning96
    12 years ago

Sometimes i think i'm not more social because i'm still a newbie & not very confident in my abilities! *only* growing about 40 kinds (species) and only having hoyas for 2 years ... when will I ever feel like not a newbie? I'm not sure!

But this is the only forum for me right now. I appreciate how welcoming you all are. Especially those of you who are clearly experts when it comes to hoyas!

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Lightening...I've been growing hoyas for nearly 4 years..and the truth is that we all remain "newbies" forever...there's always something new to learn about, new hoyas being discovered, different cultural requirements for each new type found or acquired...when we stop learning, we sorta stop living. I encourage you to be more confident..there are dozens of hoya folks who have far fewer hoyas than you do..and I'm positive that we can all learn a lot from you. Fondly, Patrick

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions