Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The mind of a Hoya grower...

Posted by denise 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 11:57

Yeah, we're always trying to invent new ways to grow our plants! I look back through my old plant magazines from the 70's and see all kinds of interesting ways to display plants, to bring them into our environment in an aesthetically pleasing way.

So the other day, I was "restocking" my toilet tissue tower I got last summer after I remodeled my bathroom. It's a pretty thing - who says functionality has to be bland? (See the photo below...) Well, my head went to, "Hey, wouldn't this make a GREAT place to grow a Hoya that likes to climb and twist and wind? It would accommodate up to a 5.5" pot, and imagine how interesting it would look after a few seasons of twining around the wires. It's certainly not practical to do a bunch of Hoyas (price-wise, that is), but it would be fun to do a special one that you might want to display in one of your favorite spaces... I'm thinking micrantha might do well - it seems to want to twine. What others might do well this way?

Denise in Omaha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The mind of a Hoya grower...

Denise, I think that is a very clever idea! Any small leaved Hoya would look incredible in that container. Even if the plant did not twine, they could be easily tied or discretely clipped. I'm thinking that H. chinghungensis would be an ideal candidate for that outside the box trellis. Now the question is where would one find such a paper holder?

Doug

o

I agree, what a great idea! Love it for the toilet paper too,lol...

Let us know what Hoya you decide to grow one in...love to see it when you pick it out.

o

Haha. That's definitely a good idea - it's like the trellises the Swedes use, except more ornate. It would be nice if all trellises were like that, so that the pot sat in them. It would make everything less tippy.

Scrambling Hoyas… I always forget which ones they are. But then you go to water your plants and end up untwining the same little dudes over and over again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here