Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Grocery Cart Hoyas

greedygh0st
13 years ago

When we were kids, my mom once drove off and left my youngest sister sitting in the grocery cart. Which, I think is pretty much standard parenting protocol, so that your kids don't get a big head.

But this scenario of getting so caught up settling your problem kids that you forget about a quiet one seems to happen with my Hoyas all the time. And that's when I have the experience I did the other day. Where I look at a plant and I go: Heyyyy, who are you? You are way cute! Where did you come from?

In this case, it was siamica, who despite being aggressively pursued in the manner of I'm-looking-for-this-species as opposed to Hey-what-else-looks-good-here, has been flying under the radar ever since she arrived.

But boy is siamica cute, and you should all have siamica, I'm just telling you. And if my camera wasn't broken, I'd be attaching 20 photos. But since I can't, I wanted to ask: WHO HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN LATELY?

Come on, I can't be the only one.

Comments (17)

• debbie_ny
    13 years ago

I forgot all about my serpens! ....then just noticed new growth everywhere yesterday and said, "you are too cute!" How could I have forgotten! I admit, I have my favorites and my "not so favorites" (you know, the difficult ones that you hang on to but have no high expectations! heehee)...but every once in awhile one outshines the others....mostly because I forgot about it! =)

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Lol...GG! Funny story about your poor kid sister being left on the grocery cart!

I think my most non problem Hoya would be my RHP. This one is so carefree...just water it now and then. I've even left it outside at night when most Hoyas would have been near death...but this one just keeps going. I just wish it would bloom more often...maybe this year.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Hoya siamica and sp Kunming Kina, how many more rare section Hoya species are you keeping?

For me my favorite plant due to the fact that it grows fast and never had bugs of any sort is Hoya micrantha. Now if I could get this one to bloom I will be truly impressed.

Mike

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

I shall neither pubicly confirm or deny having recently "lost and found" a hoya...but I will say it's now in the rooting tank after such callous neglect!

So, what's so cute about siamica? Have to say that one has not made it on any of my must-have lists and now I'm wondering why!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Kelly Hoya siamica has nice leaves but for me it's the smaller plant size and the flowers. Because this one is in section Hoya along with carnosa you can see the similarities but it's blooms look like they are made of cotton. I can only guess about fragrance but the other members of this section are all wonderfully night fragrant.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya siamica on Apodagis Hoyas

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Oh, the Apodagis picture is beautiful!

Always see so many hoyas on that site that I want!

• peanut01
    13 years ago

LOL GG if a kid was left in the shopping cart now adays that would be felony child neglect. Speaking of abandoned items. I found a cart at the grocery store in the cart drop off area that was full of groceries. They paid but left the groceries in the cart. They probably had kids that preoccupied them or were on meds. Also at HD I found a cart with a beautiful Hummingbird feeder in it and some nectar. That find was assimilated with my purchases though. Most recently I found a 180GB ipod in a Taco Bell parking lot near opening time. The employees in the store told me they only had a few customers and cleaned the parking lot shortly beofre I got there. Surprisingly one of their customers was a regular that worked at the local mall. I found out his name on the ipod then called the store that he worked at. Needless to say this guy was a major douche(pardon me). He thought I stole it from him and did not thank me when I returned it. Normally I can at least communicate with individuals that have necklaces that include dragons perching on crystal balls, but not this time. Paul you are a tool and I will not be returning lost ipods to you again. i actually think the kid was freaked out since I was able to track him down. Maybe he thought I was CIA.

-David

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

David LMAO! Okay, that post made my day. Especially the shout out to Paul. I, too, would have expected better rapport with a dragonlord. I don't play MMORPGs for nothing, man.

Well, I'm normally not a scatterbrain, but maybe I'm experiencing early early onset senility because I forgot my wallet twice in a month and both times it was returned to me. Needless to say, I could have kissed both of my knights in shining armor, but I didn't want to freak them out. So, I played it cool by nearly bursting into tears of relief.

Mike Darn you for saying micrantha. I had this plant in my database for a year and after extensive hunting couldn't figure out where it had disappeared to. Finally I discovered that a substitution had been made on that order and when I entered it into my records, I mistakenly made entries for both the substituted plant and the substitution. So, now, I kind of feel like I've 'felt' like I owned micrantha for so long that I need to actually get it for realsies.

• peanut01
    13 years ago

LOL - I forgot to comment on your question. I forget about a few of my Carnosa quite often. I left a KP in the garage sans water for a entire winter last year. It is currently thriving and actually bloomed this past summer for the first times. Also my single longest Carnosa vine which is 12" and in a mixed pot gets little to no attention. It is too hard for me to water this one without disturbing the chi of my sunroom area. I have to move several plants to get to it and when I finally do the water just overflows out the top of the pot since the soil is hydophobic at this time. I also have a non hoya epi cactus that I left in the garage all winter this year. It is NOT a happy camper at this time and all my hopes for blooms went out the window for this one... At least this summer.

-David

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

David,
    Great story!
    Sorry about your hydrophobic soil!
    Kelly

• peanut01
    13 years ago

GG:
    Should I ask what game or should I just ask what server?

*160GB btw
    Kelly:
    TY :)

-David

• rennfl
    13 years ago

My grocery cart Hoya would be my serpens. It sits on a bench with my Coelogyne orchids, and gets the overflow of light and watering they get.

Most of the other Hoyas come in during the winter, so they get attention. The serpens just sits out there on the bench, taking the full heat we have in summer, and a light frost in winter.

Thinking about how I ignore this plant, I went out yesterday to actually look at it. And here it is.

It has at least 10 penducles budding up. (Hope I'm not jinxing it)

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Fantastic, Rennfl! Mine bloomed with one umbel the very first year and hasn't done a thing since! The flowers on serpens are so cute!
    Kelly

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

David That's so awesome that your carnosa handled a whole winter unwatered in the garage. My carnosa and I are still in a fight, so maybe I should find a garage to leave it in. It should think twice about the fact that it has no legs before it refuses to bloom. >:O

I have, but do not currently, play that game. I really experienced the depths of addiction w/FFXI, which is all the more humiliating since there are only like 10 other people who play. ^_~

Rennfl Thanks for defending the innocence of serpens, who gets such a bad rap. Where do you live again? It sounds like somewhere warm, which makes your success pretty cool.

• rennfl
    13 years ago

GG - I live in the Florida panhandle, along the Gulf coast. I live about 1/2 a mile from the beach, so the temps are moderated a little bit, little warmer in winter, and not quite so hot in summer as the main part of the panhandle. So we do get a short cold (for us) winter. Avg Jan temps are about 40F nights, and maybe 55F days. I think my zone is 8.

But we do typically get a few light freezes during the winter. When the temp is supposed to drop below 30F, I make my sons haul in the cool growing benches for the night. Then they go back out in the morning. It's a little bit of work, but I figure my boys have to earn their keep. LOL

Warm growers come in for the winter, and are either in a window, or under T5 lights.

Renee

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Renee I think it's great your boys haul in the benches for you. As a child I found that (grumbling aside) it was much less distressing to help out with something I was competent at than experience my mom when she was at her wits end trying to do everything herself.

Thanks for describing your conditions in so much detail. It's really interesting to know that serpens is more climate flexible than I'd thought. Maybe it is only in the less moderated heat that it really struggles. Or in the absence of a touch of winter?

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow Renee...your Serpens is beautiful and look at all those peduncles! I'm so jealous...So you leave your serpens outside most of the year in a patio? I have also left mine in a covered entryway most of the year...except when frost is predicted. I have a small pot of it and really love it...I just hope it stays alive as I've heard it doesn't like the heat and humidity...and since you live in FL...although you are in North FL...maybe mine has a chance of looking half as good as yours someday? Has yours ever bloomed in the summer? I'm thinking its probably too hot/humid... Thanks for the picture!

Sponsored
More Discussions