Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scsva

Thoughts on 'Almost Eden'

scsva
12 years ago

Has anyone ordered from them before? The shipping seems really pricy. What experiences have you had?

Thank you,

Susan

Comments (20)

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

moving on down.....

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Hi Susan,

I got my pubicalyx "Pink Silver" from them (they have it under a different name but it's definitely "Pink Silver"). I got a Sweet Olive from them too. I was very happy with my plants and with their shipping. They have good sized plants. In my opinion, go for it!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Hi Susan...I've ordered from Almost Eden a few times...their plants tend to be small and their shipping rates are ridiculously high. I doubt that I'll order from them again. The hoyas from them have done very well. Fondly, Patrick

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I did order and expecting my plants this week. My only reason to order is that I've been searching all over for the all green carnosa that has dark leaves and becomes speckled as it ages. Although, this vendor claims to have this one, there was not a picture of it on the website so I'm anxiously awaiting my order to see if I finally have the one I have been wanting for so long.

Susan

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just wanted to pop in and give the results of my order with Almost Eden. The plant sizes exceeded my expectation-lovely and large and the shipping costs, although higher than I thought they should be, were not that much out of line.

Susan

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Enjoy your plants, Susan! If you can, post pictures of your new pets LOL.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Susan. Was the carnosa the one you expected?

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No it wasn't. I'm happy with the plant, as I am with most thick and glossy leaved hoya, but it's just not the dark green speckled carnosa that I wanted so I guess it is not to be. LOL!

Susan

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Aw :(

I sure am curious about what exactly you're looking for. It seems like it would be the standard grandmother carnosa. In what way is the one you received different from what you were looking for? Appearance is very affected by growing conditions, so maybe it just doesn't look right... yet!

I've read that back in its heyday there were a TON of different carnosa cultivars out there, but I don't know anyone that collects many of the subtle variants of the standard green one anymore. Too bad, I'd like to see a lineup!

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's more of an ovate dark green leaf with speckles and has more of a trailing habit than an upright hoya. I have Carnosa White which looks similar but that looks better as a climber.

The one I received from Eden was a paler green (which could darken up) with a more narrow leaf.

I'm probably not explaining this well. I have seen this picture from pictures posted on gardenweb.

S

• kukka
    12 years ago

Hmm... Does anyone know if Hoya motoskei trails? Aren't the leaves on that one a bit more ovate than carnosa? Are there any experts around, since I have never seen one of those outside of photographs?

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I have just ordered motoskei from Bob Smoley so I'll see if that is the one. Hopefully, it won't take too long to get here. When I need a hoya fix, I need it NOW! LOL!!!

Susan

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Let us know when you get it. That was a really good theory, Kukka.

If it's not that, then I'd say you should wait to see how the one from Almost Eden looks in a year. It might be that under your growing conditions, it will gradually develop the characteristics you long for. Things like leaf color and shape can vary pretty dramatically and it's sometimes hard to tell whether it's nature or nature controlling a plant's appearance.

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't really think it is one and the same (Motoskei) but just decided I wanted one. This forum has always been an enabler!!!

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got a letter (snail mail) from Smoley today saying it could be 6-8 weeks before I receive my plants. Guess I'll sit back and wait and try to forget about them.

Thank goodness for all the rest of the vendors who ship within the week or 2 weeks.
    Susan

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LOL Hear hear.

I know it would drive me crazy if I had to wait that long with everyone. But every so often it's fun waiting for that sloooooowga order.

Oh, Asia. Why can't you be a little closer? I want all of your plants.

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well needed to pop in and say that Bob Smoley is full of surprises. His hoyas arrived this morning and I'm going to have to say that his hoyas are just as beautiful or more so and a lot more hoya plant. All in all, it probably took about 2 weeks.

Susan

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Congratulations! Maybe you can post a side by side picture for us now. Motoskei is one I still do not own. :)

• scsva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, that might not happen. Can't find the charger for my camera.

Susan

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh, I have so been there. I wish they could invent a "small cord detector," you know, like a metal detector. And you could just do a sweep of all your purses and luggage and desk drawers. Because you know it's in the bottom of a reusable shopping bag you had in the car at the time, used to collect some stuff you needed to bring inside, and hung near the door under a coat.

Sometimes I'm so organized I outfox myself.

Sponsored