Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

spring is here, and with it - new cuttings!

greentoe357
10 years ago

GG and I did a cuttings trade, the first trade of the season for me (yay spring!) - and actually my first trade ever, as opposed to purchases or postage('ish) deals I've made before.

Here are some pics for your enjoyment, and for my boasting.

Hoya australis 'Lizard Isle'.

This post was edited by greentoe357 on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:13

Comments (16)

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoya chlorantha: described as "delicate looking" somewhere online, so perhaps the transportation-induced dehydration is not unusual. It is now receiving doctor-ordered R&R in my humidity container.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoya engleriana Vietnam (big leaf): the only one of all the cuttings that lost a leaf in transit. The leaves are actually pretty small, under an inch long, but the regular engleriana's leaves are apparently the size of a grain of rice, so it's all relative here.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoya aff. erythrostemma IML 1423: leaves are thick in the middle, trailing to a cutting thin and sharp edge, but hard/turgid throughout. Very cool.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoya heuschkeliana ssp. heuschkeliana IML 0832: lost some of its moisture in the USPS truck - but none of its charm and none of the little buds on that little peduncle on top. After just a couple of days in the humidity container, lower half of leaves have already very visible smoothed-out / rehydrated. The process is ongoing, so I am confident the upper leaves are next. It looks like a survivor.

By the way, I can't believe this woman (http://www.hoyor.net/en/showspecies.php?id=86) calls it "dull". YOU are dull, Hoyor! Don't listen to this, heuschkie, you are beautiful and unique! (Mean people!) :-/

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoya cv. Joy SRQ 3094: a "Joy" indeed! Love big leaves! Those are all 10-inch dinner plates, by the way, for size reference.

A side question here. The label side is the cutting's "down" and the two-leaf node is "up". The way those two top leaves are positioned, they are facing the light with their down sides. I have no concerns about the cutting's survival - but can leaves still photosynthesize when positioned upside down like that?

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoya lucardenasiana: this one was collected only in 2007 and published in 2009. It's very cool to be growing species this new.

The photo does not do it justice, and the leaves are hard to describe (boy, aren't I just a heaping load of help today lol?) The leaves are rather thick and smooth with a plasticy feel to them, like a cut-out from a credit card, minus the boring flatness and uniformness. The leaf edge is a bit raised, as if a vein runs all around it on the very edge (maybe it does! But I have not seen this before on other leaves). GG, would you check the plant and see if you see what I see? Put your magic "JLD" powers (and prowess!) to use here.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoya NOT macgregorii SRQ 3033: can you tell by now that I like large leaves? This one is long even more so than it is large.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoya neoebudica

• goddess9
    10 years ago

What is your astrological sign, by the way? I am a Virgo and not even Virgos are this meticulous!

Nice cuttings...I'm getting cv Joy this spring as well and am very excited to see a pic of it. :)

As long as the leaves are exposed to an appropriate light source, they will photosynthesize just fine. Vines pointing down while actively growing may die back, if that's what you were thinking. Just let the plant do its thing. Happy growing!

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hoya paziae: there are two off-shoots on this cutting. Looks like it has a nice bushing habit and does not just grow endlessly on one growing tip like many hoyas do. GG, would you agree from how your plant looks? Somebody described it online as a shrub-type with no twining habit. Looks right.

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally, Hoya sp. Philippines #10 SRQ 3053: love the popping veins on this one. I was only able to find only ONE photo in the whole of the Internet. Looks like it's rare or owned only by non-braggy people - UNTIL NOW! haha

There are two more species, but those got their own thread (the one about rooting) with pictures.

Thanks, GG! Great cuttings!

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

> What is your astrological sign, by the way? I am a Virgo and not even Virgos are this meticulous!

Aquarius. I am only meticulous with things I care about. "Good enough for a government job" is my motto for the rest of things. :-)

> As long as the leaves are exposed to an appropriate light source, they will photosynthesize just fine.

Yes, there IS reflected light, which I am sure the plant happily gobbles up any way the leaves are facing. Maybe I should use one of these for that cutting? :-)

• goddess9
    10 years ago

Ah, my fiance is an Aquarius. He's not quite so meticulous LOL.

You'd be surprised at how well Hoyas can grow in not-so-perfect conditions. Just get it a little light and keep them moist but not soggy and I'm sure they'll give you much joy (pun intended).

Sidenote: GG, do you happen to write in another language (for leisure or profession)? Your handwriting is quite unique.

• Denise
    10 years ago

GG is always generous! I have over half a dozen amazing species I've gotten from her. And the best thing is... she's practically my neighbor, right here in Omaha! You've made me hope we can trade again this year!

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Yeah, I've worried about upside-down leaves, too, but cv Joy really exaggeratedly moves its leaves to face the sun, so maybe it will reorient them again. You'll have to let us know. I've always meant to keep an eye on things like that.

I agree that lucardenasiana has really cool leaves. I don't think a vein runs around the edge of the leaf - it just has a very strange edge to its leaves. There are a number of Hoyas with interesting leaf edge characteristics, and I find this one of the most attractive qualities for some reason.

Yes, paziae is definitely very inclined to branch and very shrublike. I find its growth habit absolutely lovely. It puts out tons of new growth at once and, since its new leaves are translucent and raspberry colored, it looks like a shattered stained-glass window. For some reason, this will always be a favorite of mine - everything about it is delicate yet extremely vigorous.

@ goddess

Ha! Not the best sample of my handwriting, I'm afraid - I wrote those so sloppily! Normally my labels are much neater and more comprehensive, but I was in a super-hurry!

I do study languages, but it has nothing to do with my handwriting - it's been more or less like that since high school. I went to a jr. high where we had to hand in our work in all caps and afterward my handwriting just ended up as a mixture of caps and lowercase.

It has been my experience that Americans are the only ones who enjoy my handwriting. Europeans tend to have much more tidy and uniform penmanship, I think. And when I lived in Germany they sternly claimed they couldn't read it at all.

@ Denise

I definitely am hoping to do a trade with you this year!! :) I've never lost a cutting from you - they're so healthy!

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    10 years ago

> I agree that lucardenasiana has really cool leaves. I don't think a vein runs around the edge of the leaf - it just has a very strange edge to its leaves.

Yeah! One of my preferences for GG when choosing the species for me was interestingly-edged leaves (I think I said "wavy leaves"), and this one definitely fits the bill even better than I expected.

> Normally my labels are much neater and more comprehensive

I think it's fine and even preferred for a label to be brief, as long as I have the full name, the culture, some notes on the species and whatnot in my file - you gave me much of that info in addition to my googling.

> It has been my experience that Americans are the only ones who enjoy my handwriting.

I was born and raised in Ukraine, and I totally went "huh?" at your Paziae label. That "z" and that second "a" are priceless. :-) Never seen them written like THAT. But there was the list of species you emailed me, so it was easy to match and see what you meant. I am bad at reading people's handwriting in general, including often my own. :-)

> @ Denise: I definitely am hoping to do a trade with you this year!! :) I've never lost a cutting from you - they're so healthy!

OMG YES! I grow a couple of species from Denise (australis ssp. australis and lacunosa). Australis was the absolute #1 champion in how fast it rooted among ~30 other species rooting at the same time. The lacunosa generally is a hesitant and challenging rooter, but this one really did root fast and problem-free and has put out new leaves since then. The sample of 2 species may be small, but so far I am definitely a fanboy of Denise's cuttings.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions