Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya megalantha

Posted by vermonthoyas none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 14:12

Here is a first-time-bloomer for me - Hoya megalantha. It seems to be a strong performer that will easily bloom under artificial light. It took nine months from cutting to flower, which I think is outstanding.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya megalantha

• Posted by Klea 4b (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 15:49

Oh, how beautiful!! Congratulations! I'm happy to hear it's a fast bloomer, maybe I'll get some flowers myself this year. ;) Nine months from cutting to bloom is fast. Do you have a photo of the whole plant? It would be interesting to see how big it is when flowering for the first time. In my experience megalantha is a fast grower too.

o

Thank you Klea! Here is a photo of the entire plant grown in semi-hydro.

o

• Posted by Klea 4b (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 20:02

Wow, it really grew A LOT in just 9 months! I think mine is about 9 months too, but not even close to being that size. Mine haven't got any artificial lighting this winter tho, maybe if it did it would look more like yours. But maybe it's got nothing to do with lighting, maybe it's all to do with your obvious hoya talent!! :) Lovely plant and flowers! You've really done well with this plant. Once again; congratulations!

o

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! I have to ask --- What lights do you use in your grown tent?

o

Thank you Debbie! I am using two single 54watt T-5 fixtures in the tent. These happen to be the Sunblaster brand, but there are many others that would do the same thing. I find that with these small grow-tents anything more than two tubes causes it to get too hot unless you are using the tent in a cool basement. This tent helped me keep the humidity at 65% during the day and 85% at night. I think the humidity is as much a part of getting this plant to flower as the lighting. Here is one more shot of the bloom.

Doug

o

wow wow wow! there's nothing more to say...I'm in awe! thanks for the info on the bulbs...! =)

o

Gorgeous photos! It sure is showy seeing all those fat heavy flowers opening in a big cluster. I really love the photo where you can see the not-yet-open buds in the mix, for comparison.

When I see progress like your plant has made, it really inspires me to amp up the lights! I've been wanting to order more for a while and I should just stop stalling. It just turned into such a rodeo last time with screwed up shipments and waiting for the delivery guy and broken bulbs...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here