Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkc1023

Will success breed success?

jkc1023
11 years ago

I'm growing a carnosa in my kitchen window and I'm having success with it there. It started as a stick with leaves on in two years ago and now its four feet long and has 12 flower bundles on it. I live in the pacific northwest and there are few bright sunny days in the forest in which I live, so I am surprised at flowering success. So now, I'm encouraged enough to purchase a second Hoya and give it a go in my "lucky" kitchen window. Since my carnosa has predominately white flowers, I wanted one with more color. I ordered a H. purpureo-fusca without taking lighting into consideration. If the carnosa can bloom here, can the purpureo fusca? Also, I have mounted a thermometer in my growing area and the minimum temp this winter has been 63F and day temps are consistently 65-68F. Did I by the "right" hoya?

Comments (11)

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your success.
    Do you know what direction the window faces and does the light become less intense in summer as the trees leaf out?
    Where did you order your Hoya pupureo-fusca from? I have a feeling that you might end up with a Hoya pubicalyx instead and if you do you can treat it just like your Hoya carnosa.

Mike

• jkc1023
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! It's a south facing window. The neighbors have very tall douglas fir trees. The sun gets higher in the sky in summer so that is the factor I'm dealing with rather than leafing.
    My plant came from Gardino Nursery in FL. It has huge leaves! Not as dark as my carnosa, nor are there any speckles.

• Denise
    11 years ago

I had never seen purpureo-fusca on Gardino's site so just looked for it, thinking it must be a new addition. I still don't see it, unless they're saying under another species name that it "was formerly sold as"... Can you post a photo of your purpureo-fusca?

I find purpureo-fusca fairly fuss-free, however I also find it a stingy bloomer (for me...) It bloomed for me in 2009, and I don't think it has bloomed since.

Denise in Omaha

• jkc1023
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I picked up the plant on eBay and it was sent to me from gardino's nursery in FL. I hope it's what they said it was!
    Thanks!

• jkc1023
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a pix of the whole plant.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

You are in luck as that is not Hoya pubicalyx. I would say Hoya cinnamomifolia or Hoya pupureo-fusca. Both are similar with the flower colour being the only real difference.
    I think your Hoyas should do well there as a partly shaded South facing window is just about perfect as long as you can keep the plants close to the glass.
    Is there an overhead light as well? Maybe you could use an energy efficient light bulb and just have that one for a few hours each day to supplement the natural light.

Mike

• jkc1023
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is there a special light bulb needed, or will a regular fluorescent one do the trick? Wattage?
    I can set something up during the day while I'm out.
    Thanks so much!
    Sorry about the sideways photo. I didn't catch that.

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Bulbs that are marketed as Daylight are best but the standard warm white fluorescent bulb will do just fine. You can usually find both at hardware or big box stores. I like to use the 23W or higher as the smaller wattages are generally too weak.

Mike

• teisa
    11 years ago

I put up a 4 ft shop lights with the daylight bulbs Mike recommended. This was put right above my kitchen window and my plants have grown and put out buds like never before. The shop light came from Lowes and was really inexpensive. It replaced my kitchen light above window and between cabinets so it is totally hidden. It was worked great.

• Denise
    11 years ago

Ah, yes, I forgot that Gardino's does sell some on eBay that aren't in their catalog. And I think it is, indeed, purpureo-fusca. Here's a photo from back when mine flowered...

Denise in Omaha

• jkc1023
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Denise, that's lovely! That's an inspirational photo! You mentioned that it last flowered in 2009, do you use artificial lighting or do you have a sunroom? I just have the two plants right now on my kitchen window sill and I'm thinking of just moving my desk lamp to my growing area and outfittiing it with a compact fluorescent bulb during the day. It's probably not mature enough to have flowers but perhaps my carnosa will benefit from it. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH
More Discussions