Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Amazing Little Happening

pirate_girl
13 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I'm someone who has had repeated trouble growing Hoya Bella, I've often thought I should give that one up, but recently mentioned in another thread that I seem to be doing better w/ Bella lately. I have just a small sprig I salvaged from a set of cuttings I lost.

Well, I've been growing it on what I call an intermittent wick, a wick that doesn't hang into water, but rather drains out into small pebbles or pumice. It seems to really let the plant both dry out & aerate from underneath, get fresh air (that's what I think, anyway, for some explanation see Al (Tapla)'s writings on 'perched water table').

I've just discovered this tiny sprig is putting on a spur, even checked w/ a magnifier & yup, a tiny little spur that gets more defined each day. This bit of plant is just 4" long. Can't imagine it's really doing this.

Anyway, just wanted to share my excitement, hope I don't jinx it, but it's so cool!! I don't often get bloom here growing Indoors only so this is a big event for me.

Camera acting up, or I'd be posting pix. Think I'll go get a new memory card to try.

Comments (9)

• Denise
    13 years ago

That's exciting, Karen! I think bella flowers are some of the prettiest, and they smell good, too. I haven't had a lot of luck with it. I gave up on green bella several years ago, but I've now got a lanceolata spp. bella that is doing just ok at this point. It doesn't seem to want to do much for me (yet), but I'm staying hopeful. Glad to hear you're having success!

Denise in Omaha

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Congrats PG...that is very exciting news! I hope it continues to grow and bloom for you...Bella has the prettiest blooms. Please keep us posted! Keeping fingers crossed for you...good luck!

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

I have mine in the terrarium and it's doing better than ever, which means it isn't hanging on by a thread anymore! I should look into your technique as mine gets bigger.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Excellent, Karen!

The wick can be a life-saver, indeed!

Josh

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Woo Hoo! Bella is one of my favorites, can't live without hoyas!

Congratulations, Karen!

Kelly

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pic could be better, but let's see if this works:

Another shot:

I hope to keep photo record & will post back, thanks for the congrats! Happy, silly feel like 8 yr. old me ;>)

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Glad you figured out a strategy that works for you. It's embarrassingly indescribable, the excitement one feels over ones plants... growing properly.

I still really think with this guy, it's all about keeping cool. It must be, because I've yet to master keeping it hydrated, and yet it seems as unkillable as carnosa. Sulky, sure, but undefeated. My point being that I'm quite certain that it is my growing environment, not my bedside manner, that keeps bella kicking.

That said, I really need to break down and buy a self-watering pot or something, since I want to keep it hanging and I don't want us to be in a fight forever.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Don't feel silly, Karen! I get so excited seeing peduncles and buds forming! It still just amazes me that we're able to bring these fabulous plants to bloom in our homes!

Kelly

• rennfl
    13 years ago

Congrats on getting bella going. I think it's one that is worth it. It's one of my favorites too. For some reason it grows really well for me.

Renee

Sponsored