Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Not the most spectacular shot I've ever achieved ...

paul_
13 years ago

I've definitely taken better pics before but there it is. Nothing out of the ordinary, just my KQ finally getting its act together and blooming.

Comments (13)

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I think it's a very sweet shot. Nice composition and I love the angle, it's like the blooms are reaching up at us through the foliage.

Congratulations on KQ pulling it together. ^_^

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Nice pic Paul.. I have always loved the apple blossom pink color of the carnosa flowers,though their fragrance in my opinion leaves a lot to be desired!!!!

My hindu rope common a hoya as it may be is one of my favorites and it puts on a show every year with the flowers but I can't stand the way it smells!!!!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

It is a very nice picture Paul!! I love all hoya blooms...and nothing is ordinary to me. They're all beautiful!

David, what does your hindu rope bloom smell like to you?

To me its Lacunosa...I can't take the smell when its blooming! Its very overpowering when its in a closed room...I get a headache from it,lol...so I have to grow this one outside!

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Paul,
    I think it's a great shot!
    Thanks for posting!
    Kelly

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I agree it's a great shot.
    I moved my big carnosa to a new spot where it obviously does not get enough light to bloom. I do miss the scent of those flowers.

Mike

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

Pug,

all of the carnosa flowers that I have encountered thus far,not just the rope all smell like really cheap imitation chocolate as best i can describe it. For anyone who has ever eaten a Wendy's chocolate frosty,the taste of that is what the carnosa flowers smell like to me. Cheap,no name, dollar store chocolate!!!

The lacunosa and acuta clan can be very overpowering if allowed to bloom in an enclosed area especially if you have several blooming at once. I like their scents though if I don't have to be locked in a room with them for a prolonged period of time!!!

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I just love your Wendy's chocolate frosty description. I haven't smelled these yet, but I'm dying to after listening to all your outraged tirades against cheap chocolate.

Now, if only we can find the Hoya that smells like Nutella or
    Paris Angelina's Chocolat L'Africain.

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

The frosty was the only thing I could think of at the moment!!!!

Paul, i'm sorry i'm not trashing the carnosa flowers, I love the flowers on all of my carnosa hoyas,they just stink!!!

GG, i'm totally not a chocolate connoisseur by any means and don't buy the expensive stuff. I do indulge myself as often as I can with those tasty little Hershey's dark nuggets with almonds!!!!! Dark is the only way to go when it comes to chocolate. I sometimes buy those 70-80% cocoa bars which most people cringe at but I don't like milk chocolate at all.

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

lol. Well my mom's German, so although insanely thrifty in most regards, she's a quiet snob when it comes to chocolate and I grew up on imported varieties in my Easter basket.

Nonetheless, I still think Wendy's frosties smell awesome, and my carnosa should bloom YESTERDAY.

I do like dark chocolate, too, though. ^_^ You can actually taste the chocolate, man!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Lol...I happen to like Wendy's Chocolate frosty...but for the life of me I can't remember what it smells like.

Speaking of excellent chocolates...IMHO...See's Candies is one of the best I've ever tasted. DH always gives me a couple of pounds of it for Valentines Day,lol...My favorites!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yummy See's Chocolates...

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I've never had See's chocolates, but I like their hard candies. And their ingredient lists.

You have an awesome DH.

• paul_
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliments, folks.

Paul, i'm sorry i'm not trashing the carnosa flowers, I love the flowers on all of my carnosa hoyas,they just stink!!!

*snort!* Don't worry, David, no offense taken. LOL.

I truly don't see much appeal in carnosa's fragrance either. I've never had the "pleasure" of trying a Wendy's chocolate frosty but what the scent reminds me of is the cheap/poorly made "chocolate fragrances" -- like the really bad chocolate scented candles or the old chocolate scented scratch-n-sniff stickers I remember as a kid.

--- Life's too short for cheap chocolate.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

GG...I really do! I'm so blessed...he's a keeper! My sister loves the See's hard candy too, me I love my chocolates :o)

Paul...I agree!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists