Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Sigillatis...my hardest repot!

puglvr1
10 years ago

I had to repot my Sigillatis...a job I was not looking forward to., but I knew I had to do it since it was pretty root bound. The leaves are very brittle and I knew I was going to lose several of them regardless of how careful I was :o(

Here's the roots...you can see its covered in roots and I was having to water it quite often and it was drying out so quickly.

Comments (12)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Loosened up some of the roots so new ones hopefully will grow...

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

A very pretty plant! The last picture in particular is just wow!

How big was the old and the new pot?

With these big repots, I often wish there was a second set of hands there to help.

Did you have to discard any material? If there are cuttings you do not need, I'll gladly take them for postage or a trade. I saw a very good-looking sigillatis at a flower show recently, and now I am all hot and bothered for it. :-)

• teisa
    10 years ago

Nancy,

I have it's baby that I have "imagined" what momma looks like!! And WOW! It exceeds my expectations!! Mine is putting out a ton of new growth!! Now maybe one day I will get one of those beautiful salmon blooms!! Thank you for sharing! It is my favorite Hoya :).

• vermonthoyas
    10 years ago

It definitely looks like you did a bang up job. I don't think it will set the plant back much at all. Thanks for sharing.

Doug

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks GT, Teisa and Doug!

It was originally in a 6" pot...what I did was placed the 6" pot "inside" the 8" hanging basket and used styrofoam peanuts along the bottom and sides to keep the pot from wobbling out of balance. I then removed all the peanuts and just repotted the plant directly into the 8" and filled the pot with fresh potting mix...

Just some of the leaves broke off...luckily no pieces or actual branches broke off as surprising as that is,lol...greentoe I send you an email.

Teisa, that is great news, SO happy to hear that :o)
    One day you will have blooms I'm sure.

Doug, I hope you're right...I always worry when I have to do something kinda drastic to these Hoyas that are somewhat picky or challenging...you never know how they're going to react :o(

• teisa
    10 years ago

Nancy,

I've came back and looked at the a couple times a day since you posted! It is so pretty! I can't imagine mine growing that big!! How long have you been growing it?? It is a beauty!

• greedygh0st
    10 years ago

Looks beautiful, Nancy!

Sigillatis is one that has always grown quite nicely for me, but this winter I had a bad spell with some of my most tolerant plants, including this one. (I must have skipped a watering for that group and really stressed them out), so now I'm still babying it back to health. Sigillatis and rotundiflora are still dropping some leaves, but they seem to be on the mend. I only have a rooting cutting left of the poor linearis. (sighâ¦)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Great work!
    And a nice root-mass you had going there ;-)

Josh

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teisa, went to look it up... I purchased it the summer of 2009. Sometime in 2010 I remember bidding on a second small pot and combined the two...so its 2 small plants potted together...there was a time I almost lost it, long story,lol...very happy it survived that close call. This is one I cannot take for granted...it is very temperamental and can go south quickly...that's why I'm worried about this major repot.

GG, I'm sorry to hear about a few of your hoyas...I too have lost a couple this winter...accidentally left outside during one of our few "freeze/frost :o(...I'm sure now that its spring ti will bounce back.

Thanks Josh!

• rennfl
    10 years ago

Wow that is a lovely one. As usual I am quite jealous :)

I have to eventually get another one of these. I had received a cutting in a trade, it had rooted nicely, and then my cat ate it. No really, the cat ate the whole thing.

Renee

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG Renee, that's crazy! At least you now know sigillatis is not poisonous to cats,lol...thanks for nice comments!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions