Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya ignorata - Newly described species

Posted by mikedahms London Ontario (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 17:21

A new species of Hoya has been described. This is a very unusual species, hopefully one that will become available to collectors. The small flowers are not what you would call showy but still a very interesting plant none the less.

The Flickr Hoya group also hosts several photos of this Hoya.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya ignorata article

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya ignorata - Newly described species

Aw man, I am in love. I can't find anything about it (other than the fact that apparently everyone who is NOT in the US has it) D: /heart hurting

And is its name a joke? B/c that's what I first thought when I saw your thread.

o

The name is real and I believe that it describes the fact that this species has a wide geographic distribution in South East Asia but has been pretty much ignored in a botanical sense. I am unsure if this species had been described as a member of another Genus in the Apocynaceae or if it really has just been ignored.

I would love to grow this one but only because it's so darn weird. Ok Time to start tracking this one down. Who wants to take a trip to Vietnam?

Mike

o

Vietnam is at the *top* of my list, Mike. Let's go! I agree that this is the most adorably weird Hoya I've seen in a long time. It makes my heart go thumpthumpthumpthump!!!

Love that the progression goes as so:

Step 1: Discover a plant that has characteristics that you find attractive.

Step 2: Amass a giant collection.

Step 3: Become fanatically interested in species that have different characteristics than the ones that originally attracted you to the plant.

o

LOL. I like small and pubescent, DS-70 is just perfect, I have nice lattice to hang my SMALL hoyas (thank you DH). Please tell me how I ended up buying H. kerri and obovata with leaves bigger than pots my minies are growing in and love it????

o

I found the full article at below link:
http://www.scribd.com/aotrangtb2/d/95647197-Hoya-ignorata-new-species-from-Vietnam-Thailand

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.scribd.com/aotrangtb2/d/95647197-Hoya-ignorata-new-species-from-Vietnam-Thailand

o

Trantb thanks you for posting that article. I love seeing habitat photos, will have to bookmark that page for reference.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here