Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rennfl

Could it be?? Really?

rennfl
12 years ago

I've been traveling a lot for work lately, and got home the other day and saw this. Yay, a penduncle on my Hoya pachyclada. I only started this from a cutting less than a year ago. So so thrilled, I might actually see these flowers in person.

Renee

Comments (10)

• PerrenialGirl
    12 years ago

Way to go!!!! That is awesome that you've gotten a peduncle from a cutting!!

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Great & super healthy looking! Are those Leca stones you're growing them in? I ask as it makes me wonder if this is a Hydro set up? Excellent work!

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

Excellent! Good job! Be sure to post bloom pictures!

• rennfl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys, I'm obviously very excited. Also have a few other plants that have started budding up. Spent yesterday moving all my warm growers outside for the summer too. Lots of work.

PG - yes it is Hydroton, but the holes are in the bottom of the pot, so it's not in semi-hydro. Although I do have some of the moist liking Hoyas growing in semi-hydro. I had tried semi-hydro on some of my orchids, promptly killed them too. But the moist liking Hoyas have really taken to it.

Also, sometimes I use a semi-hydro set up to root cuttings. Works pretty well for me.

Renee

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

Of course you're excited! And as you should be!
    I know I'd be, if I were you.

Sorry about your orchids...
    I do grow and root some hoya in hydroton (leca) but mostly use it as an add-in to my mixes. Makes it nice and chunky!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Do you end up watering every couple of days because of the LECA? I think your plant is thrilled with the care you are giving it and it certainly looks healthy. It looks like there are buds developing as well, congratulations.

Mike

• lightning96
    12 years ago

Beautiful little hoya! The hydroton looks so attractive too. Pachyclada is on my wish list.... I love those leaves! I look forward to seeing your blooms!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Congratulations, Renee! That new peduncle is so hot! (Hope that can't be interpreted as some kind of inter-species come on) I think I've finally figured out pachyclada, thanks to Mike's advice following last winter's debacle. All my baby pachycladas are coming along quite nicely too. I moved them to their own pots and some of them are really looking like REAL Hoyas (vs. vague sprouty things) finally!

I am interested to understand your care for this plant, too. At the moment it looks like how I grow my mitrata!

• rennfl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, sad update. I got home from traveling for work, and all the buds were gone, and there was a slime trail. Either slugs or snails grrrr! Shouldn't have jinxed myself.

And the plant has started to grow again, so I don't know if it is going to try to bud again.

Also, I'm traveling every week for work these days, so I'm a little slow to respond, please forgive me.

GG - I'm growing it in LECA, with holes in the bottom on the pot, so not S/H. High light (direct sun until about 2pm in summer, directly under the center of a 4 bank T-5 lights in winter.

Watered when very dry (when not raining) in summer, watered about once every few weeks in winter, but it does get some overspray (like a dew idea) in winter from watering other plants around it.

Mike, in answering GG, I think I answered you as well :)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Yes, that is how I grow mitrata. NOT s/h. That's why I was interested. Thanks for the answer. :)

Sorry about the slugs!!! D: Although I have to admit some evil part of my brain is relieved to hear that there are some downsides to growing Hoyas in yummy warm outdoorness. Sometimes I feel like my Hoyas really drew the short straw when they ended up in Nebraska. ^_~

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio