Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID help please

Posted by geosdee Zone 8 FL Panhandle (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 18:49

Hey all, I got this hoya this week at Lowe's. It is an EA plant with label H. numm, but it doesn't look like the numm I have or any of the pictures I have looked up of numm's. The leaves are thin not thick like my numm

EA numm?

EA numm?

Thanks,

Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID help please

Nice plant. I think that is nummaloides.

o

• Posted by geosdee Zone 8 FL Panhandle (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 20:13

Thanks Trini,

Here is my H. numm. Really very different See how the leaves are thicker?

Hoya numm

Thanks,

Dee

o

Are the leaves of the first plant fuzzy? Lots of fertilizer, low light or just a plant collected from a different area could be the culprit. Is your other nummularioides from a different source? There are other Hoyas with similar leaves minus the hairs so that is an important characteristic of Hoya species nummularioides.

Mike

o

I too believe that's what it is -- yikes, that would mean EA got the label right!!

Looks like mine, though my leaves are less shiny or more matt, suede-like, but shape & structure look the same.

o

I think Mike's right. Something I hadn't considered was that EA mostly grows most of their plants "soft" (a little shady, because they save the high light for sun lovers, and they "push" with fertilizers to get bigger plants fast...) That's why I've brought home many an EA plant that looks different as it grows for me. So I bet it IS nummulariodes.

Denise in Omaha

o

• Posted by geosdee Zone 8 FL Panhandle (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 10:47

They are from 2 different sources, the first one I ordered from Gardino's last summer, this one is from Lowe's. The leaves on this new one isn't hairy or fuzzy, rather slick and shinier. I will leave it labeled and wait to see the flowers. Thanks for the help.

Dee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here