Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goddess9_gw

Hi everyone! Show me your Hoyas!

goddess9
10 years ago

Long time no see, ya'll. I've been preeeeeetty busy...I recently have been planning lots of wonderfulness. :) I haven't forgotten my Hoyas, though. They've been inside and doing well for the most part. I'm starting to get the bug again. I really want to limit the amount of Hoyas I buy this season, so does anyone have any outstanding Hoyas they can show me?

Or, you know, any Hoyas at all. I love pics, blooms or not!

I hope everyone is doing well!

Comments (14)

• tammypie
    10 years ago

Don't worry... my Hoya Cinnamomifolia is ready to bloom, but I'll wait for the blooms to open, then take pics to show you guys!!!

Happy Spring!!!

• Klea
    10 years ago

None of my hoyas are outstanding, but I have a picture of a hoya leaf that I find quite spectacular. Hoya obscura (Hoya sp USDA 81079):

And H. lasiantha has kind of cute buds!

• Denise
    10 years ago

I agree with Klea - if you don't already have obscura, you should get one. They don't take up too much space, and in your zone, you would get that beautiful coloring. Mine is showing red tones now, too, though not quite as dark as Klea's!

Another good one that isn't going to be a big space hog is krohniana, which I showed in another post. (Check out GGs post asking if anyone had gotten plants yet...) It's a cutie.

Deykeae is a S-L-O-W grower, but every leaf will knock your socks off...

Mitrata grows nice and compact with closely stacked leaves - well, mostly. It shoots out an occasional vine, but still stays neat, and I like the leaves. They seem to have an almost translucent layer that gives them an odd shimmer. It's hard to describe and really doesn't translate in photos...

This is going to be a year where I really do a lot of scrutinizing of my collection, and space is going to have to be a big consideration before I buy very many, too. There comes a point where the phrase "you can always make room for one more" no longer applies!! LOL!

Denise in Omaha

• goddess9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tammy - I look forward to it!

Klea - I love obscura! It's so cute and easy. Had a mealybug once and once removed it was a champ.

V. jealous of your lasiantha buds! :)

Denise - Oh, I agree about obscura. A great, easy plant. Loves the summers.

Deykeae is a stunner. I'd love to get it one day...hard to come by, I see. How many Hoyas do you have?

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    10 years ago

Here is mine, remember this i just started getting into hoyas, i hope to expand my collection by trading and buying some more! This is my table of hoyas and my 2 lone african violets. But i have around 75 of houseplants and cactus. I tend to keep plants in groups such as the cactus go to this area, and the tropics go to this area and such. But anyway here are the pictures!

• Denise
    10 years ago

Goddess, I have around 150 different Hoya species - that doesn't include duplicates. I also grow a lot of succulents, so all in all, I have somewhere between 350-400 plants. It's a challenge taking care of them all at times, but for the most part, it's my passion. I don't have kids, except of the fur variety, so that gives me more time than the average grower to mess with them.

Denise in Omaha

• restoner
    10 years ago

IâÂÂm a newbie, but these are three of my favorites; leucorhoda, buotii and dennisii. Leucorhoda and dennisii are growing a lot now, but no flowers on any of them yet. Leucorhoda has nice glossy leaves in particular.

• emt23
    10 years ago

A NOID that never fails to please! I love all pix posted and restoner those trellises! ~ Mary

• goddess9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@grantgardener - awesome! The bug will bite you bad. :)

@denise - I think I'm a mini-you - I've got over 100 and I'm 24! It's really a great hobby, though. It's so rewarding.

@restoner - Those are beautiful plants and beautiful trellises! Where do you get those?

@emt - Looks like pubicalyx ??? Gorgeous blooms!

• restoner
    10 years ago

goddess9 - I bought the trellises on amazon. TheyâÂÂre called Glamos Wire Trellis. Hopefully they will work out, IâÂÂm still experimenting :-)

• moonwolf_gw
    10 years ago

Gorgeous plants, everyone!

emt, I agree, your NOID looks like a pubicalyx for sure! Either Red Buttons or Royal Hawaiian Purple.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• emt23
    10 years ago

Yes a h.pub agreed! I found it in a greenhouse on a drive one day. I took it home and cut the rootball in half and the other larger half has not done anything but vine out. Both are in the same window and it is not that coffee color new leaf output like RHP. No scent like I dream of with RB that Brad describes. And not that crazy Chimaera one! It has made me happy though.
    ~ Mary

• emt23
    10 years ago

Call me silly! I went over this early evening and stuck my nose up to the bloom and it has a scent like light hyacinth?! It is the best I can describe other than a floral smell. ~ Mary

• moonwolf_gw
    10 years ago

Mary, hyacinth is also a good way to describe it. Denise summed it up best when she said the pubicalyxes have very musky scents. Everyone's nose is different though, but I'm glad you finally got to experience the scent :-).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored