Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cassidyk_gw

Asiatica Open House

cassidyk
14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I hope spring has sprung nicely for all!

Anyone heading to Asiatica's this year for one of the open house dates? It sounded like the group that got together to go last year had a nice time...

Cassidy

Comments (8)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Cassidy, how I would love to attend that open house, just live so far away...maybe one day? Thanks for the posting.
    Hopefully if anyone goes they can post pictures later. I think Kelly went last year and brought back some really NICE hoyas!

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

I did go last year! Most likely won't be going this year....with so many unexpected household expenses this year, my hoya budget is a bit bleak... I did have a great time last year! Barry and his crew couldn't be nicer and the hoya greenhouse is AMAZING!

You'll have a great time if you go!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

That's right Kelly didn't you get a huge gorgeous Hoya pandurata at last years open house? I love the look of that Hoya but my track record with cool growers is pretty sad.

Mike

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

Mike,
    I did get the pandurata and I'm sorry to say I lost it! ... I even tried taking a cutting as it started to go downhill and I was unable to root it. Are you able to grow lobby? Thinking that's a cooler growing species. I do okay with it. Have had a fusca for over 2 years and I totally struggle with - it grows taller, gets new leaves, drops the older leaves, and starts the cycle over again... Cannot figure it out!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

I have only tried to grow Hoya polyneura and that was nothing more than a painful drawn out death for that poor plant. I would like to grow Hoya fusca, Hoya lobbii and Hoya pandurata but I just know I will not be able to maintain them over the long term. My Hoya polyneura suffered just as you described with your pandurata but I have no suggestions to offer. I assume that the stress of too warm temperatures or the absence of the needed temperature differential from day to night is what really stresses these plants. Having grown orchids longer than Hoyas I know that many intermediate to cool growing plants often experience a temperature drop of at least 10 degrees C during the night, something that is difficult to replicate during the summer months at low altitude.

Mike

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Mike, I have a huge polyneura, it stay out during the winter accept during freezing. Mine grows well but I haven't seen any flowers. I can't grow bella, dies on me.
    I guess some of the hoyas are just too picky.
    My curtisii grew so big until it got too cold, she is a history. ;(

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Some of the Hoyas that come from cool mist/cloud forests at high elevations just can't handle the heat. Hoya bella is another one that I can not grow for that reason.
    We are lucky there are so many beautiful Hoyas that are relatively easy to grow.

Sorry you lost some of your plants this winter Jan.

Take a look at the Blog for a few Hoya photos at the bottom. The rest of the blog is filled with Hoya and orchid habitat on the island of Borneo, absolutely gorgeous scenery. There are lots of photos from the limestone hills/mountains where many Hoyas grow as well as some higher altitude habitats.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarawak Lense Blog

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Mike, thanks! love that site for sure. I would love to go see the wild hoyas or Asiatica hoyas.

Sponsored