Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golden_ca_2000

hoya angustifolia

golden_ca_2000
14 years ago

Just wanted to show you the progression of my angustiflolia

It is just about ready to open. My 2nd hoya to actually flower for me. Its a really cool looking plant - but definitely hard to photograph. I think the flowers look like rain drops :0) (the plant actually has 2 other flowers coming but they are far behind - so I dont know if they will make it to this point) Cant wait for it to open - well hopefully...

Comments (21)

• geosdee
    14 years ago

Very cool

Dee

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Congrats Golden...that's pretty cool. Isn't it exciting when one of our plants bloom...you feel like all that hard work finally paid off. I don't think you're going to have a problem with your bloom opening. Enjoy and let us know if that one has a scent.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Beautiful Hoya Golden! The peduncle could not have formed in a better place display wise. Would you be able to tell me the length and width of the leaves? I really like the look of this species and your plant makes me think it is substantially smaller than I had though it was. Did you get this one from Paul Shirley?

Hey do I spy a second peduncle between the red and blue butterfly clips?

Mike

• kellyknits
    14 years ago

Great pictures! Love to watch the progression of buds!

Kelly

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike, the leaves are (measuring the biggest) was 3 1/2 x 1/2
    I bought this cutting from David Liddle last year. And yes you do see another peduncle - actually there is 2 more there. The one you see and one very tiny one at the base of the plant which you can not see... The plant actually looks sooo much better in real life - I really like the look of it - but it was so hard to photograph for some reason. Most people (I think) grow it dangling down - I thought I would try it this way and I like the look of it. (I guess down the road if it gets too big in that circle - I can always cut some off and start one that hangs :0)

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Very nice....I like the way you are training yours. And congrats on your blooms as well!

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

The plant is compact then but not as small as I had thought from seeing your photos. Thanks for taking those measurements Golden. Keep us updated, I am especially interested in what you think of the scent of the blooms.

Mike

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I came across this old thread and I thought I would post a updated photo of my angustifolia - definitely likes to flower for me... unfortunately the leaves are not as green as they should be ....

• squidy
    12 years ago

It's beautiful! Wow, a hoya that will bloom without getting all crazy and huge, lol. I might have to try and get my hands on one.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Such a beautiful plant and a good performer, too. I just love the way you have it set up.

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know what the story is on this plant? I had read the name angustifolia was invalid, because it was once used to publish a pottsii clone and can't be used again. (Although it was, anyway, to publish a Philippine species which maybe this one is?) And then surfing around looking at the listings for it, I just pulled up a bundle of confusion. Like a listing for "pottsii var. angustifolia" that looked like wayettii. And then a USDA listing for "Hoya pottsii Decne. var. angustifolia (J. Traill) Tsiang & P. T. Li" Okay, so there it looks like they republished the original plant as a var. But it would still be a pottsii. However 100% of the pictures that are out there look much less delicate than golden's plant.

So, yeah. I think you have a gorgeous plant and I'm also totally lost. ^_^

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Very nice Lynne.

Cindy

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

What a cute plant and look at all those buds! Congrats Golden!

Your hoya does look similar to my wayettii/kentiana. Wonder if its the same or at the very least a very close relative?
    I'm totally lost too when it comes to certain hoyas :o)

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually I find it confusing too... I am scared that one day I am going to purchase a plant I already have because it has a different name.... I know on my invoice sheet from David Liddle it is named aff.angustifolia i0834....And actually I was looking last night at some old paperwork I had from David Liddle - it was an old email actually and it said... The plant of the incorrectly named hoya angustifolia is IML0834 and is listed.... (Now for the life of me I dont remember what that was all about)
    So - I will leave it as angustifolia

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Now that's a happy Hoya, very nice.

There is a complex of species in the Acanthstemma section that look very similar. Hoya wayettii, Hoya kentiana and Hoya angustifolia from the Philippines plus others like sp Haruku which is one of the spice Islands that belong to Indonesia. There is also the species that looks just like a mini version of Hoya kentiana although it has not been confirmed that is it's proper ID.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread discussing this topic

• squidy
    12 years ago

Mike:
    that is super confusing. I looked the first 3 you mentioned up on google images and they all look identical to me. What are the differences?

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

The most obvious difference is the central part of the flower, the corona. The coronal lobes are the tips of the central star you see on a Hoya flower and in these species if you look closely you will see each species has differences in the corona, both at the tips of this star and in the center of the corona.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful:

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Great link, Mike. Thanks, that's actually very helpful. I always feel foolish when I don't search our own forum first.

Golden, I appreciate your information about the IML number for this plant. It seems like one of those specimens where it's very handy to hang onto the IML number while people debate about what to call it. ^_^ It's a lot easier to dig up information on it based on the IML number than any particular name, at least right now. I'll definitely have to add this one to my collection someday, whatever they decide. It's so sweet.

I'd love to see that mini kentiana in person. I wish every Hoya had a mini version!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

GG I have never seen the mini kentiana in person either but there is a nice set of photos on Dischidia.com.

I have also read that angustifolia is technically invalid but we will just have to go by that name until it is republished or dealt with in another way. I am not sure if the David Liddle and Paul Shirley plants are the same collection or species for that matter but I think I will have to get this one to after seeing Golden's plant flowering like that.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini kentiana

• squidy
    12 years ago

Great links, thank you!
    But I don't know how I'm ever going to get my head around all this information..

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Squidy if you want to learn about Hoyas then the best way to do so would be to read the old issues of STEMMA Journal which are available on the Apodagis site. Stemma was a free online journal dedicated to Hoya and Dischidia and although some of the articles are a little bit technical it is by far the most accessible Hoya publication. Of course if you have any specific questions feel free to ask because we all love to talk about Hoyas and share what we know.

GG I am not sure if this is the site where you noticed the info on this species and the status of it's name but this is obviously a very useful site to research plants.
    Here is the page on Hoya
    http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/search?q=Hoya

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: STEMMA Journal at the bottom of the page

• suetran1
    12 years ago

SO beautiful, I like the way you arranged, when it small.
    My Kentianna, I have to wrap aound, around, it is don't look nice at all.
    sue