Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

Spring 2011 Iris Marie Liddle order

dmichael619
13 years ago

It's that time of year again!!! Spring,which means that it's also time for us to start thinking about getting an group order together for hoya cuttings from the Liddle nursery in Australia.

It's my understanding that the nursery is in fact up for sale so this could very well end up being our last opportunity to put together an order like this.

This spring consignment will be hosted by Wrynsmom (Carolyn). I am sort of a behind the scenes crutch for her to lean on. This will be her first time importing plant material and i'm lending her a helping hand!

To avoid becoming overwhelmed by the whole process there will be a limit to no more than 20 participants.We already have 6 joined.

I have no idea how to attach a copy of the 2011 catalog to this thread so if anyone is interested please feel free to email me for a copy.

David

Comments (44)

• eye_love_begonias
    13 years ago

David, I'd like to join. Iris sent me a catalog a few weeks ago. How does one join in on the order. Thanks.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

E.L.B. I sent you an email.

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

I wish I could participate, but obviously I can't!

Mitzi

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Really bad idea to tempt myself... but can I get a catalog? I'm considering joining, especially if it may be the last chance.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quinn send me an email and i'll forward you a copy. I don't think I can attach the catalog directly to this post

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have received a good number of requests for copies of the Liddle's 2011 hoya catalog today. For those of you who wish to join in on the order please let either me or Carolyn (Wrynsmom) know via email.

Also once you have an order ready to be submitted you can forward it directly to Iris Marie,the email addy is on the first page of the catalog. Let her know that you will be part of the group order being hosted by Carolyn Akin.

David

• eye_love_begonias
    13 years ago

Thank you David, but I don't think I had my setting set up to allow email, I've changed my settings now so can you please re-send your email. Thank you for your time.

• Denise
    13 years ago

**SIGH** Wish I could participate this year, especially since it may be our last chance at Liddle cuttings. But it's now been 22 months since my hubby got laid off. He can't even find a "grunt" job at minimum wage! We're holding on by our teeth (so to speak), so no $$ in the budget for luxuries like cuttings. I'm not complaining, though. We're better off than some, for which I feel immense gratitude. But here's my philosophy for this year - appreciate what I have! And I do have a lot! So many Hoyas that I will soon be complaining are too large!

Life is a little challenging, but will soon be better, I'm convinced!

Denise in Omaha

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm trying to get an accurate headcount on just how many people have actually signed up for the spring order for hoya cuttings from Iris Liddle. So far I have the following people down as being in on the order. If I overlooked anyone please let me know so I can add your name to this list.

Jessica Dial
    Den Enslow
    Patrick Vance
    Linda Sinkovic
    Joni Khan
    Lisa Schiefelbein
    Laurie Bounsall
    Gail
    Jane
    David Elliott-me

Sorry Jane and Gail I didn't get your last names is why they don't appear.

I have sent catalogs to several other people I just need to hear back from them with a yes or no !!!! There are still some spots open so if you'd like to join in now's your chance!!

David

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everyone who is taking part in the spring 2011 hoya consignment please read the following email that I received from Iris Marie today. These are the general requirements that we must meet in order to make this group order successful.

David

General Guidelines:
    The minimum of packets (bags) is twelve or twelve people. If someone orders 30 cuttings that will be 2 bags or if only 4 or 5 cuttings that is a small bag. Maximum number of bags/people sixteen. Total number of plants depends on size between 130 to 170 is a good fit - up to 200 maximum.

Please write the IML number and plants in alphabetic order and then send your order to your group co-ordinator who will then send me one email with the final list of people and their orders.

Ignore the invoice sent with the cuttings. Invoices will be sent to the co-ordinator after the order has been delivered and the cost of inspection and postage is known

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

How much does each person usually pay for shipping and all that? And when do we need to have our orders ready?

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tammy it's hard to say at the moment how much each person will have to pay for S & H,phyto and inspection fees. Those costs are broken down evenly amongst all group participants and at this time we have a total of 10 people who are actually in it for sure. We need at least 12 to make it a go. The sooner orders get in the better the chance of getting the things we want.

I have been in on at least a dozen orders to the Liddle's now and my portion of the costs have never really been what I would consider to be HIGH.

I just looked at my invoice from last year and I had a total of 30 cuttings on it and here's how my part of the final cost was broken down::::

$21.00 phyto
    $29.75 S & H

plus the cost of each cutting,which is where I usually get burned because I order so many!!!

David

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Dmichael,

I was interested in joining this order. I already got my list together from the catalog that you sent. I have not sent it to Iris Marie as of yet. What is the deadline?

My name is David Kincade.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just an update on what's going on with the order at the moment.If your name has an * by it this means that your order has already been received.

We still only have 11 people in on the order. Iris has stipulated that we must have at least 12 to make this a go so if any of you know a friend who may want to get in on the order feel free to ask them but we can't have any more than 16 people max.

Jessica Dial *
    Dee Enslow
    Patrick Vance *
    Linda Sinkovic *
    Joni Khan
    David Elliott *
    Jane Kim *
    Debbie Dobrzynski *
    Laurie Bounsall
    Lisa Schiefelbein
    David kincade *

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just an update on what's going on with the order at the moment.If your name has an * by it this means that your order has already been received.

We still only have 11 people in on the order. Iris has stipulated that we must have at least 12 to make this a go so if any of you know a friend who may want to get in on the order feel free to ask them but we can't have any more than 16 people max.

Jessica Dial *
    Dee Enslow
    Patrick Vance *
    Linda Sinkovic *
    Joni Kahn *
    David Elliott *
    Jane Kim *
    Debbie Dobrzynski *
    Laurie Bounsall
    Lisa Schiefelbein
    David kincade *

o Post a Follow-Up

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

I'm having a hard time deciding if it's worth it to do this. $50 seems like a lot just for the overhead. How many cuttings do most people order? I have a list of 13 possibilities but I doubt I can drop that much money on cuttings!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tammy,

I have a total of 32 on my personal order so far and am seriously considering ordering more as there are a number of others that I am interested in.

david

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

Hmmm...more calculating is in order...

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Tigerdawn, If the US order is done the same way as the Canadian order then all the extra costs are divided between how many cuttings you order and how many every one else in your group orders.
    David said he got 30 cuttings and his extra costs were 50.75.If you divide this by 30 cuttings then its about 1.69 extra per cutting,Not bad with the how good the Liddles prices are.So if you had gotten cuttings in this order and you got 13 then it would be around 1.69x 13.00 and this would be your extra costs to get them to your host. If this is not how its done just by pass this message.

Cindy

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

Oh! Well that would be really cool. I could afford that.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Almost everyone has their orders in now but we still need one more person to jump on board to get this thing rolling!!!

We have 11 ,we need 12. Number 12 I know you're lurking out there somewhere!!!

Jessica Dial *
    Dee Enslow
    Patrick Vance *
    Linda Sinkovic *
    Joni Kahn *
    David Elliott *
    Jane Kim *
    Debbie Dobrzynski *
    Laurie Bounsall
    Lisa Schiefelbein*
    David kincade *

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

I want to be #12 but I can't decide!!!! AAAAAuuughhhh!!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay overnight we picked up number 12 so we have all the cookies we need in the jar and this consignment is officially closed to any new participants. We have met all of iris Marie's requirements for this consignment by having at least 12 members and I think we may have gone just over the maximum of 200 cuttings in which case Iris has informed me that we will either be getting smaller cuttings or she'll have to do a second smaller box. We won't know which until we actually get the shipment here in the states.

Thanks everyone for taking part in this group order.

David

• debbie_ny
    13 years ago

Yipppie! Glad we met the target! Thank you David!!!

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Yaaaaaaaaay! I'm so excited! Too bad we can't all go out for a celebratory drink together.

/victory dance

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Cheers!!!

• patrick51
    13 years ago

David...thanks so much for all you've done to organize this order. Fondly, Patrick

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is how we stand at the moment.We're almost there!!!

As far as giving thanks ,we really need to thank Carolyn as she is actually the hostess of this consignment!!!! I'm just sort of her shoulder to lean on as this is her first time doing something like this on this scale!!!

Thanks Carolyn!!!

Jessica Dial *
    Dee Enslow *
    Patrick Vance *
    Linda Sinkovic *
    Joni Kahn *
    David Elliott *
    Jane Kim *
    Debbie Dobrzynski *
    Laurie Bounsall
    Lisa Schiefelbein*
    David kincade *

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also need for everyone to email me with their home address so that info can be forwarded on to Carolyn. Once I get those emails i'll provide everyone with Carolyn's email addy so they can get in direct contact with her in regards to some things you'll each need to know about this consignment.

David

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It took a minute for us to pick up our 12th groupie and some how or another I forgot to add her name to the list!!! Sorry Tammy!!!!

Jessica Dial *
    Dee Enslow *
    Patrick Vance *
    Linda Sinkovic *
    Joni Kahn *
    David Elliott *
    Jane Kim *
    Debbie Dobrzynski *
    Laurie Bounsall
    Lisa Schiefelbein*
    David kincade *
    Tammy Motsinger *

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everyone's order has been received and as of about 2:30 pm my time I submitted the collective order to Iris Marie!!! Now we just wait!!!

david

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Wow! Guess I didn't even realize this was on here! hahaha Oops!

Thanks, everyone who ordered cuttings! Can't wait to get these and get them out to you. :)

Anyone included in the order who has NOT already contacted me, please do so ASAP.

Thanks,

Carolyn

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Carolyn:

What plants other than Hoyas do you like to grow? Also do you have a current list of your Hoyas. Maybe I can send some cuttings when I mail you(if I have anything you don't already have:)

-David

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Hey everyone... I still feel like there is some gray area regarding this order. When do I pay for the cuttings? Did I miss something? I suspect I will have to pay before the order is shipped. I checked out Paypal and do not see any invoices waiting for me. I do not want this order to be held up because of me.

Carolyn,

I shipped a check to you for postage today(actually tomorrow since it is Sunday, but the envelope is in the box).

-David K

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi David,

You won't actually pay for the hoyas until after we get them. Once Carolyn receives the shipment and Iris has proof of delivery,she will then send Carolyn an email with all of individual invoices attached. Carolyn will then forward each invoice on to each of us and we'll pay Iris Marie then.

The Liddle's have always been very trusting people and have never charged for the hoyas until after we got them. As for how long it'll take to get those invoice we just have to wait and see. I have been part of at least 10-12 of these consignments now and have had it take as little as a day after the cuttings arrived for me to get an invoice and then again i've had it take several weeks to get one.

dmichael

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the info. I actually emailed Carolyn right after I posted this and she informed me too. Thanks again for including me :-)

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Are the orders always shipped mid-summer?

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GG,

The times just seem to vary as to when they get things rolling on their end. It wasn't that uncommon for David when he was alive to have orders processed and ready for shipment in April.

It's my understanding that Iris is also a teacher so my guess is that she has to work around that schedule and process orders when she finds tome to do so.

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Just checking in to see if there is any news on the status of the group order. Thanks!

• debbie_ny
    12 years ago

Hello everyone! I just realized that we're into June and warm/hot weather is here! Just wondering if there was any update on the group order??? Cheers!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got word several days ago that Iris Marie will be processing our order on the week of July 4th.

I'm sorry, I meant to post this when the information first came to me but there's so much going on right now at home it sort of slipped my mind.

My 91 year old grandmother had to be hospitalized a little over a week ago for a broken leg bone and we're not sure how it happened. She spent 3 days in the hospital then was transferred to a nursing facility for rehab so she'd be able to come back home. After a few days in the nursing home she was complaining about the pain in her leg being so bad she couldn't stand it so she was taken back to the hospital where it was discovered not only was the lower part of her leg broken but there is also a break in the upper leg as well. She has been in the hospital for the past 2 days but was taken back to the nursing home late this afternoon.

• geosdee
    12 years ago

Oh David I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hope she is on the mend soon.

Dee

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

David, so sorry to hear about your Grandma. Hope she mends quickly and will be home soon.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Aw That's really too bad about your grandmother, especially that they did not discover both breaks immediately. My grandmother recently fell off a ladder and dislocated and fractured her hip, and had to go through the same hospital to nursing home rehab to home cycle. Even though it's a typical injury for this age group, a simple procedure, and she's the feisty type, the whole experience left her frightened and frequently uncooperative. Oh wait, that last part goes perfectly with her being feisty. >_>

Well, anyway. I know it's hard on everyone involved. I hope your grandmother will be feeling chipper again soon. You sound exhausted. :\

Sponsored
More Discussions